X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Relevant Al Jazeera article: Japan Feels Nuclear Plant Meltdown

Good for context in what a nuclear meltdown would mean in this situation - they're very specific that this could not be anything along the lines of Chernobyl:

However, Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, said a major radioactive disaster was unlikely.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the
    reaction," he said.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Grazzesto
      • Mar 2010

There has been an explosion of status updates on facebook, all along the line of "remember Pearl Harbour". This is the first time that I have truly felt ashamed of the ignorance of people in my country; How can you claim this is 'karma' and stick to the mantra of "Remember" when you have clearly forgotten Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

/\ That is fucked up.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Aleks
          • Feb 2009

quick search on wiki regarding deaths from hiroshima and nagasaki

Within the first two to four months of the bombings, the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki,[1] with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day
          death toll in pearl harbour

the overall death toll reached 2,350, including 68 civilians, and 1,178 injured

absolutely ridiculous

Comment

• HWith
            • May 2007

I agree that it is absoluty ridiculous to say that Japan deserved the quake because of Pearl Harbor etc.

But you can't really compare Pearl Harbor and the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. While many died in the two cities the bombings effectively made the Japanese surrender. The alternative would be a full scale invasion of Japan, which would make the war go on and on and probably cause even more casulties. Don't get me wrong, it was a horrible thing to bomb those two cities, but there was no other way out.

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

I think comparing those things is inherently wrong; it's not about quantity/the number of deaths (and, as a result of that, who's entitled to judge and lay the blame) but about moving on, and not repeating the same mistakes. Seriously, it's time for people to grow the fuck up, move on and stop this nonsense.
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• HWith
                • May 2007

^ Agreed.

Comment

• Aleks
                  • Feb 2009

I'm in full agreement with you on this subject

I felt inclined to put up the numbers due to the ignorance of these people. America did get it's "revenge" after all and the whole idea of "karma" and to remember pearl harbor in wake of this horrific natural disaster is absolutely mundane and idiotic.

Comment

• nictan
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Grazzesto View Post
                    There has been an explosion of status updates on facebook, all along the line of "remember Pearl Harbour". This is the first time that I have truly felt ashamed of the ignorance of people in my country; How can you claim this is 'karma' and stick to the mantra of "Remember" when you have clearly forgotten Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/2...9946960001.jpg
                    they should read this

Comment

• tweeds
                      • Sep 2006

Threatening assault is a crime worth prosecuting in Sweden? Damn...
                      SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• HWith
                        • May 2007

It takes slightly more than that, but yes, it is.

Originally posted by tweeds View Post
                        Threatening assault is a crime worth prosecuting in Sweden? Damn...

Comment

• tweeds
                          • Sep 2006

Learn something new everyday... Not surprising, I suppose, given the breadth of the law on rape/sexual assault & the corresponding propensity to prosecute (C.f. Assange).
                          SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Aleks
                            • Feb 2009

I hope the japanese members of this website are alright and safe.

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

My brother is on a plane back to Tokyo right now. I am not excited.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

honeybadger don't give a shit
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎