X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inaya
    • Apr 2008

Junya Watanabe S/S 09 Paris

Last edited by inaya; 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM.
  • inaya
    • Apr 2008

Last edited by inaya; 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Mama Africa... Some it is very gorgeous of course, awesome jackets and I love that he brought denim back! But it does get familiar the way Ann has become familiar - exact same vocabulary, just in different themes.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

while it is not necessarily a look i find appealing, i like the masterful cutting and play with fabrics.

i particularly like the kind of shabby looking treatment on the denim pieces...it really does look like stuff that could come out of the stalls on Women's Street in Mong Kok, but of course with the detailing only Junya pulls off.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• ahlefeldt
          • May 2008

denim hell argh

Comment

• droogist
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            But it does get familiar the way Ann has become familiar - exact same vocabulary, just in different themes.
            Yeah, once you've gotten over the initial shock of seeing all those prints (which I like, at least in theory) you do quickly realize that it's "just" another Junya collection, after all.

Comment

• inaya
              • Apr 2008

there is an art itself in mixing prints... I don't think it should be so easily written off as a typical Junya collection. I agree that it is his signature style of deconstructed works, but the mix of textures and patterns is remarkable. some designers' integrity relies largely on their great talent for designing with prints such as Dries Van Noten and others... it's no small feat, hehe :)

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Solid collection done in typical Junya style. I also enjoyed seeing the denim again.
                You're right inaya, the skillful mix of textures and patterns is no easy feat, particularly considering the typical complexity of Junya's garments.
                But can someone educate me with what's going on with those flowers in the head wraps?
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Johnny
                  • Sep 2006

i doubt it Avanster!

I've looked at this a few times and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The denim is pretty clunky, and I don't think the random appearance of the artificial wear marks works at all. Some of it reminds me of the big stonewashed jacket that Tiffany used to wear.... The prints and the cutting and putting together of those fabrics seems like the most succesful part of the show. The colours are vibrant and beautiful and seem to convey a feeling of optimism or at least happiness.

Faust and others are right about it being the same vocabulary though. He uses the same cutting and manufacturing techniques repeatedly now, although I think that simply underlines his identity in the clothing. I think he's starting to do this with his menswear too - leaving aside the varying themes, there is a common approach to the collections that is starting to establish itself.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    i doubt it Avanster!

I've looked at this a few times and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The denim is pretty clunky, and I don't think the random appearance of the artificial wear marks works at all. Some of it reminds me of the big stonewashed jacket that Tiffany used to wear.... The prints and the cutting and putting together of those fabrics seems like the most succesful part of the show. The colours are vibrant and beautiful and seem to convey a feeling of optimism or at least happiness.

Faust and others are right about it being the same vocabulary though. He uses the same cutting and manufacturing techniques repeatedly now, although I think that simply underlines his identity in the clothing. I think he's starting to do this with his menswear too - leaving aside the varying themes, there is a common approach to the collections that is starting to establish itself.
                    I was thinking about his menswear recently and concluded that it must be hard to be a big fan of his menswear, because the themes vary so drastically. I mean, if you have a style personality, then you are bound to skip a season here or there.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

well the past 3-4 seasons of Junya mens have been along the same lines...
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                        well the past 3-4 seasons of Junya mens have been along the same lines...
                        you forgot FW07, my friend. vroom, vroom.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sep 2008

Fade to Black, speaking of "let's hop a cab & split it," I miss the Junya "Taxi Driver" Inspired Collection. Def. one of my favorite.

Comment

• Real Real
                            • Feb 2007

Didn't he say somewhere that he wanted people to schizophrenically combine items across collections? I kind of think that'd be a neat approach. Black motorcycle jacket, plaid covered oxford shirt, khakis, etc.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                              Didn't he say somewhere that he wanted people to schizophrenically combine items across collections? I kind of think that'd be a neat approach. Black motorcycle jacket, plaid covered oxford shirt, khakis, etc.
                              Did he? I think it's easier said than done.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎