Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magician
    • Jul 2008

I just want to throw down that Atmosphere fucking sucks. If Kanye dies and only white sorority girls will be crying (and me) then when Atmosphere bites it, only white frat boys will be crying.

And I'll take sorority bitties over bros any day.

(and even though they don't suck that goes for much of Stones Throw and Rhymesayers as well, I mean have you ever been to a show from any of those guys where there were more black people in the crowd than on stage? I don't think so)
    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ oooh, son, mike lowrey's gonna put a smack down on jooo!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
        • Sep 2006

atmosphere does suck... but overcast i think is a pretty classic album.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Chim View Post
          see, when I think of skilled wordplay and just lyrical superiority I would think of early Jay Z or Biggie. If you compare to that to Kanye, i dunno, I always feel like Kanye's rhymes are like the least important aspect to his music. That doesn't stop me from being a fan though =P
          i think Kanye's writing is superlative. He's probably not the one who necessarily says the most interesting, clever or original things, but the way he phrases it is pitch perfect at its best.

"Welcome to Heartbreak" is one of the best written songs I've come across in a while. With Kanye's persona being somewhat of a self-parody, it's easy to see his work walking a fine line between self absorbed, bad emo joke or genuine expression of feeling, and I don't think his public outbursts do much to help a lot of perceptions of him swing to the latter. I think he even has a recent song where he moans about how the LV and Gucci he bought can't satisfy his soul (OK, I'll admit that's just plain bad). But "WTH" hits hard. It's the standout song from 808s, of which he usually has one each album that kinda charts his progress as an artist and as an overall person ("Last Call," "Late," "Drunk and Hot Girls," and now this)
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Chim
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
            i think Kanye's writing is superlative. He's probably not the one who necessarily says the most interesting, clever or original things, but the way he phrases it is pitch perfect at its best.

"Welcome to Heartbreak" is one of the best written songs I've come across in a while. With Kanye's persona being somewhat of a self-parody, it's easy to see his work walking a fine line between self absorbed, bad emo joke or genuine expression of feeling, and I don't think his public outbursts do much to help a lot of perceptions of him swing to the latter. I think he even has a recent song where he moans about how the LV and Gucci he bought can't satisfy his soul (OK, I'll admit that's just plain bad). But "WTH" hits hard. It's the standout song from 808s, of which he usually has one each album that kinda charts his progress as an artist and as an overall person ("Last Call," "Late," "Drunk and Hot Girls," and now this)
            WTH is definitely good. My favorite from the album is "street lights"; just an overall great song. I can see where you're coming from with the whole kanye lyricism thing - one of my favorite things he's ever done is "We Major", and I think he murders the beat with his flow and that was the first time I really started liking Kanye.

Comment

• BeauIXI
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              weird you describe Kanye's flow as 'talking over beats'...to me that applies more to MF Doom, whereas Kanye seems to be obsessed with the 'technicalities' of flow. Kanye once described himself as a horrible micro-manager; the song "Stronger" which sounds kinda effortless on a first listen, has now struck me as the song that I think was more painstakingly labored over than arguably any other in his catalogue. Kanye (in standard hip hop form at least) definitely sticks within the boundaries of a structured rhythmic flow more.
              Nonononononononono! No way, man! MF DOOM is so virtuoso that he just sounds that way. If you pay close attention to his rhyme flow, and I have, believe me, it's extremely complex and technical, I mean the classical allusions! The rhetorical devices! The wordplay! If Kanye labors over his rhymes, maybe he ought to consider the subject matter. Has anyone noticed how little sense his rap makes? Good lord, certainly there's a severe lack of cultural context, but furthermore, there's hardly any contextual relationship between the verses. Not to mention the fact that it's constantly the same old stuff, and when I listen to his raps, I can basically finish his sentences for him, he's so predictable. That's what I don't like in rap. Predictability. I've heard DOOM's music so many times, I regrettably have every audio track he's ever appeared on, and he still blows my mind and surprises me. It's captivating. He's a real poet. And I'm not sure if you guys are into it, but his production is off the chain. Literally. I don't think he's like any other producer out there.. So unique. He's not even like any other underground artist. You really do have to be a diehard fan to understand it, but the paradox is that to be a diehard fan, you need to understand it.

Just wanted to let you know how I feel about that.
              Originally posted by philip nod
              somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Jon
                • Apr 2008

dude, let's hang out. you bring your MF DOOM tracks, I'll bring the blunts.
                Originally posted by merz
                perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

if there's room for one more, i'll bring the kanye and motorcycle memorabilia.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Jon
                    • Apr 2008

there's room for 2 of each. and the sky is falling.
                    Originally posted by merz
                    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

Haha, awesome. As long as you tell me more about CCP and your relationship with Raf Simons. Actually I was thinking about coming by today, if you're in the whitewash dungeon, that is.

Comment

• D_S
                        • Jul 2008

Who the fuck is Kayne and why are people on SZ beasting over him?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ Raf Simons works in mysterious ways. Like god.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            /\ Raf Simons works in mysterious ways. Like god.
                            ^This deserves further investigation.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎