X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newp
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I got the Norlan glasses yesterday, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey. I can confirm that indeed it was a more enjoyable experience. I liked how the shape of the glass accentuated the whiskey's scent and how the double sided construction kept it cool (I like my whiskey with an ice cube in it). I would say if you are a whiskey drinker, these are a no-brainer.
    Great choice, one of my favorites!

Comment

• rider
      eyes of the world
      • Jun 2009

I got the Norlan glasses yesterday, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey. I can confirm that indeed it was a more enjoyable experience. I liked how the shape of the glass accentuated the whiskey's scent and how the double sided construction kept it cool (I like my whiskey with an ice cube in it). I would say if you are a whiskey drinker, these are a no-brainer.
      Agree. I got them for my husband and brother as Christmas gifts. They use and love them. I thought since we're opening a distillery (asbury park distillery, in case you're tempted to come to the opening) they should have proper glassware.

Comment

• byhand
        • Dec 2011

, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey.
        Nikka uses coloring in their whiskies. I know there is endless debate over the use of coloring. The industry lobbies hard so the consumer thinks the coloring only assures uniformity of color among different batches, mainly so the producers don't have to deal with customers being confused about minor differences in color between bottles, but the coloring is not tasteless. It adds a hint of bitterness, and I say no thanks.

There is also a certain allure to darker whiskies as the consumer often equates a rich caramel color with age and value. The producers know this, and many connoisseurs argue that the whiskies are getting darker by way of coloring as the producers compete for market share. My gramps insists on no coloring and no cold filtration. I'm with him.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Nice to hear others also having favorable experiences with the Norlan glass. I use mine once every couple of weeks for some bourbon. I don't drink that much amber liquor, but when I do, I make a blend of Weller Antique and Weller 12 with just a tiny bit of water (2%). Norlan glasses are just enjoyable to drink out of! Looking forward to seeing what Sruli will be doing next!
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rider View Post
            Agree. I got them for my husband and brother as Christmas gifts. They use and love them. I thought since we're opening a distillery (asbury park distillery, in case you're tempted to come to the opening) they should have proper glassware.
            Tell me more!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by byhand View Post
              Nikka uses coloring in their whiskies. I know there is endless debate over the use of coloring. The industry lobbies hard so the consumer thinks the coloring only assures uniformity of color among different batches, mainly so the producers don't have to deal with customers being confused about minor differences in color between bottles, but the coloring is not tasteless. It adds a hint of bitterness, and I say no thanks.

There is also a certain allure to darker whiskies as the consumer often equates a rich caramel color with age and value. The producers know this, and many connoisseurs argue that the whiskies are getting darker by way of coloring as the producers compete for market share. My gramps insists on no coloring and no cold filtration. I'm with him.
              Hmm, thanks for letting me know. Need to research this. I also have a bottle of Suntory Toki and it's indeed much paler.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• byhand
                • Dec 2011

There are a few websites such as royalmilewhiskies.com that provide a search function allowing a customer to look at only whiskies that have no coloring added and no chill filtration. The chill filtration removes any fat occurring naturally in the distilled grain mash. Producers do this so that the whiskies don't get cloudy when ice is added, but connoisseurs are quick to point out that fat, even in the small quantities present in a whisky, carries flavor, and eliminating that fat can alter the taste and create a more bland product.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

you open a distillery!
                  Great!
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

Thanks, It's going to be REALLY impressive. As soon as it's open in a few months I will post the date of the official opening party. For now, tip the Norlan glasses, refine your paletes, bc the gin and whisky recipes are approved (the Feds have to sign off)! Our distiller is top notch, and the custom equipment from Germany just got installed. It's gorgeous. Have a look at the build up here. http://instagram.com/asburydistilling
                    Last edited by rider; 03-12-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Thanks, It's going to be REALLY impressive. As soon as it's open in a few months I will post the date of the official opening party. For now, tip the Norlan glasses to refining your paletes bc the gin and whisky recipes are approved (the Feds have to sign off)! Our distiller is top notch, and the custom equipment from Germany just got installed. It's gorgeous. Have a look at the build up here. http://instagram.com/asburydistilling
                      Wow! looks great. might have to get me a set of Norlan glass. i shall surely visit when you are open.
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Sruli coming through with some more materials work in collaboration with Ecco (presumably with the folks that ran Danna R&D as a skunkworks leather R&D department prior to Ecco formalizing it and bringing it more public). Always fascinating to see what he continues to develop!

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/04/19/sruli-recht-world-first-transparent-leather-apparition-collection-ecco-fashion-design/

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mizzar
                          • Mar 2008

more info, photos and press kit
                          ____
                          sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

So epic... I can't wait to get my hands on some of this leather!!!!

Comment

• nyarkies
                                • Feb 2012

Very interesting read. I never knew that those yellow translucent leathers done by Poell and Boris were that unstable. I just always assumed it was more prone to tearing just by the appearance. Never thought that other factors such as moisture can make the leather impractical to produce. I'm really interested in touching and getting a feel of these. Sruli mentions they're soft and matte to touch. Without that description, I would have assumed the leather felt like wax paper judging by appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎