Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sruli Recht

Thanks to Sruli Recht for the pictures and that I was allowed to share them.

I see three that I really, really like. The two light brownish/grey pieces (jacket/longer coat) and the dark grey/black long coat. I'm guessing everything is amazing up close and in material/details though.

Default Cast By Shadows, Spring Summer 2012 Trunk Show.

Cast By Shadows, Spring Summer 2012 Trunk Show.

All photos by Marinó Thorlacius.

i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6894618...7627949629222/

Had to remove about 12 photos due to upload limit on flickr.

i like his signature collar on the more tailored pieces.

it's sort of a variation on the throne collar. instead of it essentially being an up-turned lapel, it keeps the notched shape, makes it cleaner, and has it create a strong perpendicular line on the upper chest.
    Last edited by copacetic; 10-22-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
    And "When the prince has gathered about him
    "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

I'm definitely down for his creativity but I'd say his strongest creations are accessories rather than tradition pieces. Can't say I'd buy any of it and the "blind" model is very tacky.

The blind model is fantastic.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

i like that the glasses romanticize blindness, in that it draws aesthetic attention to the condition itself. of course, i would never want to be blind, and i can't imagine what life is like for blind people...and it's not right to make light of the condition...

but we all know the adage about squeezing lemons. instead of more anonymous sunglasses that mask the condition, why not wear these obviously opaque ones? it forces the viewer of the glasses to confront more directly what it must be like to be blind because he (the viewer) cannot easily fathom blindness in the abstract, but can fathom what it would be like to wear those glasses.
    Last edited by copacetic; 10-23-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: improve syntax

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

If he's actually blind I'm cool with it. If not it's an odd glamorization of a terrible condition.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    i like that the glasses romanticize blindness, in that it draws aesthetic attention to the condition itself.
    because someone tapping a stick with a red tip in front of them is easy to miss?

Fabrics look beautiful. Great use of gentle colour. Very nice cutting and drape.

Heirloom

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    If he's actually blind I'm cool with it. If not it's an odd glamorization of a terrible condition.
    the model is indeed clinically blind.

Then I stand completely corrected. Amazing.

I have yet to see any of these goods for sale other than a visit to his "armory." I'm not trying to derail on kop details.. I'm just wondering where the market for it is.

Sooooooo beautiful...the materials, tailoring and construction!!!....just speechless...

I don't think the styling is to my liking, but I saw the collection in person in Paris and there was a lot of pieces that I actually liked.

I was about to place a custom order on a few things but somehow never got around to doing it.

what I can say from firsthand knowledge is the quality of the items themselves are of the first rate order...........well made and the cuts are very interesting
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    i'm not sure why you're hung up on the "reality" of his condition. you didn't know if he was blind or not by looking at the model. your desire for authenticity has no effect on your aesthetic reaction to the work.

you're like oprah during the james frey controversy. she was scandalized that some details of his memoir were fictionalized. nowadays, most people seem perfectly comfortable with that uniquely modern blend of reality and fiction. take a look at GILEAD, which won the pulitzer prize for fiction in 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilead_(novel) . you are standing athwart history yelling "stop!"

also! i thought of another reason that you're wrong! (haha...) let's say that the model, just for argument's sake, was not blind, and had perfect vision. the glasses effectively make him blind, so the model himself would have the experience of being blind when walking down the runway.

this point of view is just completely foreign to me. when you go to the theater, do you have the same desire for authenticity? if you see an actor on stage who is pretending to have cancer, do you demand that the actor himself should have cancer in order for your aesthetic experience to be "authentic"?
    Last edited by copacetic; 10-23-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more!

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound