Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Sruli Recht

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Then I am more skeptical it is for me, but the shape is still quite tantalizing. I am sure you will be more than happy with them. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifts View Post
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. Then I am more skeptical it is for me, but the shape is still quite tantalizing. I am sure you will be more than happy with them. :)
    I was perusing the FAQ this morning and someone asks your exact question and the response is that the glass would just be way too heavy at that point.

I do know that the manufacturing process would change in that scenario as well with more casting for heavy solid glass rather than doing more hand blown techniques for a two layer construction. Each is certainly intriguing in its own way :)

Definitely will be happy. Sruli and his team always do great work!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

I bought two glasses. The design is clearly well thought out from a whiskey lover's perspective, though the video is a bit ridiculous.

I'm impressed the project got funded in less than three days.

I also went in for a 4 glass set, 2 for my father, 2 for my husband
    I was also attracted by the box set, but since I intended to separate the set, it didn't make sense

I'm excited to see the end result, the animation of whiskey ocean waves inside the glass looked very cool
    Last edited by galia; 11-07-2015 at 01:55 PM.

As a drinker I am getting me a set........should be cool
    want to see him doing clothing again though, even if on a smaller scale than before. Miss the humor of his work!
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

I went for the 4 glass set as well. There has to be some stretch goal goodies. Funding has more than doubled in less and a week. damn!

A - since you're in the type of environment that uses borosilicate glass do you think it'll have good weight? I'm a tad concerned that the Norlan will feel too precious and not have enough weight to it. Love a nice heavy tumbler, hoping that these glasses will be somewhat substantial.

Z - he's been working on some cool product design stuff with a friend of mine. last time we chatted he was focusing more on that. I guess we'll just wait and see if and when he returns back to clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by interest1 View Post
    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Quote Originally Posted by fncyths View Post
    I
    A - since you're in the type of environment that uses borosilicate glass do you think it'll have good weight? I'm a tad concerned that the Norlan will feel too precious and not have enough weight to it. Love a nice heavy tumbler, hoping that these glasses will be somewhat substantial.
    clothing
    Not him but double walled glasses tend to be on the delicate side. I'm guessing the weight of the bits in the bottom of the glasses will help give a more substantial feel.

Quote Originally Posted by fncyths View Post
    I went for the 4 glass set as well. There has to be some stretch goal goodies. Funding has more than doubled in less and a week. damn!

Z - he's been working on some cool product design stuff with a friend of mine. last time we chatted he was focusing more on that. I guess we'll just wait and see if and when he returns back to clothing
    Halibut (great username btw) is probably on point. It'll feel somewhat lightweight, but the base should still have more weight than the top based on the design. If you use the classic flat based tulip style glasses for whisky/scotch/bourbon the Norlan glass shouldn't be too much of a change.

Sruli's definitely working on some cool stuff. I don't imagine that he has the time to go back to garment design, and he has shown his ability to innovate in a range of fields. Always love seeing what he is doing next!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Also went with four glasses. Always a bit sceptical about new designs of whisky glasses but pricing is fair and worth a shot :)

I saw the brace on the site and its so cool. Im hypermobile and have dislocated ribs but what will the brace do for me?

Can someone tell me about the Hakamas that Sruli made? do you find them ok?

Last I remember, his stuff (sold at ra278.tumblr.com) had a lot of larger stuff (48-50).

Quote Originally Posted by PUCK View Post
    So late to the party on Sruli's work.

I love so much of it, the process, and the technique is intricate and you can really tell from seeing it first hand that there was serious thought behind the cut and making things not just in a clever way, but in a way that is utilitarian and artful.

I wish he was still making work, unfortunately everything I find from him doesn't fit my giant frame. I do have the horsehide Ipad holster bag and its awesome, the cut, color, and texture have to be seen and felt.

art in motion.

-P

Got my first taste using the Norlan glasses (with some Ardbeg). Definitely superior to usual snifters: less ethanol on the nose, more balanced taste. I recommend it!

Nice to hear it was a successful project for the ones pitching in cash. Even better that you like it.

I got the Norlan glasses yesterday, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey. I can confirm that indeed it was a more enjoyable experience. I liked how the shape of the glass accentuated the whiskey's scent and how the double sided construction kept it cool (I like my whiskey with an ice cube in it). I would say if you are a whiskey drinker, these are a no-brainer.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I got the Norlan glasses yesterday, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey. I can confirm that indeed it was a more enjoyable experience. I liked how the shape of the glass accentuated the whiskey's scent and how the double sided construction kept it cool (I like my whiskey with an ice cube in it). I would say if you are a whiskey drinker, these are a no-brainer.
    Great choice, one of my favorites!

Agree. I got them for my husband and brother as Christmas gifts. They use and love them. I thought since we're opening a distillery (asbury park distillery, in case you're tempted to come to the opening) they should have proper glassware.

, and immediately did a test drive with Nikka coffee grain whiskey.
    Nikka uses coloring in their whiskies. I know there is endless debate over the use of coloring. The industry lobbies hard so the consumer thinks the coloring only assures uniformity of color among different batches, mainly so the producers don't have to deal with customers being confused about minor differences in color between bottles, but the coloring is not tasteless. It adds a hint of bitterness, and I say no thanks.

There is also a certain allure to darker whiskies as the consumer often equates a rich caramel color with age and value. The producers know this, and many connoisseurs argue that the whiskies are getting darker by way of coloring as the producers compete for market share. My gramps insists on no coloring and no cold filtration. I'm with him.

Nice to hear others also having favorable experiences with the Norlan glass. I use mine once every couple of weeks for some bourbon. I don't drink that much amber liquor, but when I do, I make a blend of Weller Antique and Weller 12 with just a tiny bit of water (2%). Norlan glasses are just enjoyable to drink out of! Looking forward to seeing what Sruli will be doing next!

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    Agree. I got them for my husband and brother as Christmas gifts. They use and love them. I thought since we're opening a distillery (asbury park distillery, in case you're tempted to come to the opening) they should have proper glassware.
    Tell me more!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine