• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unujnha
    • Sep 2008

waxing / coating jeans

i have some jackets and jeans that i dont really wear anymore
    i want to try coating / waxing these black or dark grey. but i have no idea what the designers use. what should i use or try?
    "Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by unujnha View Post
    i have some jackets and jeans that i dont really wear anymore
    i want to try coating / waxing these black or dark grey. but i have no idea what the designers use. what should i use or try?

There are several options: resin, paraffin wax, acrylic paint and carrageenan (I know its a medium used for applying dye to fabric) come to mind immediately. You can find options for fabric coatings at your local art supplies store.

Comment

• sharkweek
      • Apr 2008

There is a thread on superfuture on waxing denim, my suggestion would be to find that thread and follow the instructions posted there (parrafin + turpentine heated and combined?) but also add some dye (the procion variety would probably be your best bet) to acheive the colour you're looking for.

If you can't find the thread I'll post it sometime tomorrow as I'm off to bed now.

Comment

• bestial
        • Jun 2008

I got an polyurethane-coated linen-travelcoat.

Comment

• unujnha
          • Sep 2008

thanks guys=)

reborn - resin & paraffin wax sounds great. sounds like very heavy work (i dont have garage and it prob stink real bad my new roomates will kill me)
          i've seen ppl in my school just paint their jeans with white acrylics and never wash them. r they gonna stink? im not sure it was from the paintings or the jeans

sharkweek - i found the waxing denim thread thanks a bunch
          im goin to try these

bestial - nice one..would that work on a nylon coat?
          i got this juicy nylon military fur hood parka which i want to turn black..
          "Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• bestial
            • Jun 2008

thanks guys=)
            bestial - nice one..would that work on a nylon coat?
            i got this juicy nylon military fur hood parka which i want to turn black..
            I just assume that coating would work on any kind of fabric, synthetic or organic, maybe just a bit easier on organic stuff. But I'm now fabric-knower My coat got this metallic feel too it, make you feel like a cyberpunk

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

there are also waxes meant for outdoor gear. most of the time they consist of beeswax and parafin, and come in a bar so its fairly easy to rub on. you could probably find it at a sporting goods store. it wont affect the colour, but provides a nice mildly waxed surface.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• unujnha
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                I just assume that coating would work on any kind of fabric, synthetic or organic, maybe just a bit easier on organic stuff. But I'm now fabric-knower My coat got this metallic feel too it, make you feel like a cyberpunk
                do u mind giving me a simple instruction?

Comment

• bestial
                  • Jun 2008

do u mind giving me a simple instruction?
                  Hah, I bought my coat, so I could'nt even tell you where to start, just wanted to put just another material in your hands. But I would assume that the polymere (isn't the mass called that?) is liquid and ju "just" have to work it out with a painbrush or something, might even be possible to "dip" them in a tank with the coating I guess.. would need hell of a lot of coating though.

Comment

• unujnha
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                    Hah, I bought my coat, so I could'nt even tell you where to start, just wanted to put just another material in your hands. But I would assume that the polymere (isn't the mass called that?) is liquid and ju "just" have to work it out with a painbrush or something, might even be possible to "dip" them in a tank with the coating I guess.. would need hell of a lot of coating though.
                    thanks mate=) i'll definitely look into that

Comment

• obsolete
                      • Aug 2008

Waxing

Most of the "wax" that is used on garments isn't really wax at all. I'll make it quick:

Go to your local screenprinting supply house. You will want foil glue. It is the glue that you run through a screen and apply to a t-shirt before the foil is pressed down onto it. You'll have to experiment, but you will want to soften the glue. Try mixing it with silicone. You'll need an air compressor and paint gun. You can mix in pigments with the mixture to give your "wax" a color and to add depth. Spray a fine mist on the garment. If you have a professional drycleaning press (who does?) or even a heat press (the one used for foil application), cover it with teflon paper. You will have to experiement with temperature and time, but you will want to press the glued garment. This will give it that coated sheen and set the glue into the fabric. You can experiment by wrinkling the fabric, spraying it, and then pressing it. (Think Julius jeans)

Although I haven't tried this, I have been thinking about it:
                      Try using a "gesso" or gel medium from an art store. There are different textures, hard and soft, etc. Try applying that with a brush, water it down, spray, etc. Experiment. Then just try ironing it with a home iron using the teflon paper.

-o

Comment

• diamonds
                        • Dec 2006

So a friend and I have attempted to make silicon coated jeans with some black calking before:

This was our first attempt, so it's a bit sloppy but we learned a lot... I think if we ever do it again we'll mix the silicon with some paint thinner or try to use a lot less (we went a little heavy as you can see).

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Obsolete and Diamonds... nice info and work!
                          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• sharkweek
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
                            So a friend and I have attempted to make silicon coated jeans with some black calking before:

This was our first attempt, so it's a bit sloppy but we learned a lot... I think if we ever do it again we'll mix the silicon with some paint thinner or try to use a lot less (we went a little heavy as you can see).
                            I think if you wanted to get a REALLY even application of whatever you're applying to the jeans you could basically follow silkscreening instructions except don't burn in a pattern (or maybe not!?)

Comment

• obsolete
                              • Aug 2008

by silicone, I mean silicone softener. It's what is used by wash houses to soften t-shirts. It looks like you used sillicone rubber to "wax" those jeans. I think there is silicone in Armour All. The insustrial products used by wash houses smell and look exactly like Armour All. Again, just info for you DIY'ers out there. Try mixing Armour All with various glues.

-o

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎