X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiral jetty
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by TarHeart View Post
    It's kind of funny. Once in an interview, Kawakubo stated "I'm not interested in art".
    even more funny if you recall that she was trained as an artist, when i remember it correctly.

but generally speaking could it be interesting to figure out what a fashion/art collaborations is supposed to adress. wether it is the institution of art or that of fashion a project focusses on.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Ann Demeulemeester and Jim Dine/Steven Klein/Julia Margaret Cameron/Kara Walker.
      Do you know if Kara Walker was actually directly involved with the Ann pieces? They are obviously inspired by Walker's art but I did a search and couldn't find anything saying is was a collaboration. I love the pieces she did with Jim Dine. The Cameron stuff didn't do much for me but I did get a coat with a patch on the inside which I think is a nice touch. What season did she work with Steven Klein?

Rei Kawakubo also worked with Chrome Hearts and Jan de Cock collaborated on a shop with Comme des Garçons. Also, Comme des Garçons did some silver plated accessories using Helmut Newton photographs.

Raf Simons also has worked with artists/designers in the past such as the collection he did with Peter Saville.

Last edited by thehouseofdis; 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM.
      THE HOUSE OF DIS
      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• cremaster
        • Jan 2010

Balenciaga - Cindy Sherman
        Longchamp - Tracey Emin
        I thought CCP was influenced by Gunter Brus, Hermam Nitsch and the Viennese Actionists. They are incredibly confronting.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post

Do you know if Kara Walker was actually directly involved with the Ann pieces? They are obviously inspired by Walker's art but I did a search and couldn't find anything saying is was a collaboration. I love the pieces she did with Jim Dine. The Cameron stuff didn't do much for me but I did get a coat with a patch on the inside which I think is a nice touch. What season did she work with Steven Klein?

Rei Kawakubo also worked with Chrome Hearts and Jan de Cock collaborated on a shop with Comme des Garçons. Also, Comme des Garçons did some silver plated accessories using Helmut Newton photographs.

Steven Klein was Fall 04.

I am not sure if the Kara Walker was a collab. I will ask.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cremaster View Post
            Balenciaga - Cindy Sherman
            that is an interesting matchup; was not aware of this, will have to look it up.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• cremaster
              • Jan 2010

Balenciaga - Sherman

{{ ($root.post && $root.post.id) ? $root.post.translations[$root.lang].socialSubtitle : $root.seo.metaDescription | translate | stripHtml }}

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

Steven Klein was Fall 04..

Thanks Faust. I'm having a hard time seeing what Stephen Klein did in that collection though.

Matsuda collaborated with Nan Goldin for one of the last seasons. But that was more of an ad campaign.

And of course Jean Paul Gaultier collaborated with Madonna on the Blonde Ambition tour as well as working with Peter Greenaway on the costumes for The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Also, Greenaway worked with Margiela on The Pillow Book which was equally as beautiful but not as effective as The Cook...
                THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by djibouti View Post
                  My emergence from lurkhood--

Jim Drain had some sweaters produced for Opening Ceremony. Very anti-sz styles, but they were pretty fantastic objects.
                  Interview with Jim / images here. Think he's a RISD grad - I've been trying to get at that same industrial knitting thing he's talking about but don't think I'll get a chance, unfortunately. Need to talk to some friends in the textiles department.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                    • Jan 2010

Servo: don't give up. I think there is still a lot to explore with knitting.
                    THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post

Thanks Faust. I'm having a hard time seeing what Stephen Klein did in that collection though.

Matsuda collaborated with Nan Goldin for one of the last seasons. But that was more of an ad campaign.

And of course Jean Paul Gaultier collaborated with Madonna on the Blonde Ambition tour as well as working with Peter Greenaway on the costumes for The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Also, Greenaway worked with Margiela on The Pillow Book which was equally as beautiful but not as effective as The Cook...
                      Ann took his famous photos of horses and screenprinted them on cotton and silk tshirts and dresses. I have two.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                        • Jan 2010

Oh yes, the horses. I should have known that but when I saw that runway image last night it just looked like a shiny black dress. It may have had something to do with the bottle of wine I had for dinner.

I regret not getting one of those tops when I had the chance.
                        Last edited by thehouseofdis; 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM.
                        THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

A potentially interesting event at PS1 this weekend:

Art, Fashion, Action/ MOVE at P.S.1

Artist-centered and community-driven, MoMA PS1 embraces boundary-breaking ideas and experimental practices. A place where audiences can encounter and engage with new art and perspectives, the institution has offered insight into artists’ worldviews for nearly 50 years. Driven by a commitment to realizing artists’ visions, our programs explore the ways in which creative expression can inspire connection.

Dan Colen and Proenza Schouler....
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

I have two.

you had to remind me!
                            i'm looking at a large framed print i have on my office wall and now i think it might be part of stephen klein's repertoire. its a young grey thoroughbred's neck and shoulder just like the ones you posted and was given to me years ago by Agfa, a german printer and imaging company. i guess if i cant have a shirt this is the next best thing...i do get to look at it all day, afterall.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I would have been happy to sell you one of mine, just because I know how much you would appreciate it, but I stupidly ruined one with deodorant, so now I only wear it under a vest (hence my getting a second one).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• djibouti
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                                Interview with Jim / images here. Think he's a RISD grad - I've been trying to get at that same industrial knitting thing he's talking about but don't think I'll get a chance, unfortunately. Need to talk to some friends in the textiles department.
                                Yeah, he went there-

I'm nearly 100% positive that those sweaters in particular were knit on the Stoll machine at RISD.

If you go there you should try to check it out, though I don't know how protective the department is over it's use (I'd imagine very). But you could at least wander throughout the building and see it in action or talk to the techs.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎