• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BUMMER View Post
    Ok not to get all Coke vs. Pepsi..
    But to compare, I had a Gimme! latte' this morning and I have to say that I preferred the taste/texture and body of the La Colombe latte' hands down!
    Can't judge that - I am a cheap bastard, I usually get drip coffee

-Both places have good, personable service!!!
    That I don't know - Gimme service is pretty douchy, La Colmbe benignly indifferent. But not as bad as those little hipster bitches (male) at Cafe Pedlar. They think they are Atelier of coffee or something...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BUMMER
      • Feb 2010

Ha!-Before this burgeoning latte' habit I was religiously making either Porto Rico or Cafe Bustelo espresso at home once a day in the morning only!!!
      I have promised myself to NOT get hooked on this stuff. It's just for a treat once in a while!!!
      Haven't been to the place you mentioned.. But I have to agree that unprovoked "Coffee House 'tude" is annoying, no matter where it happens. Usually kids who just moved to 'the big city' and need to prove something.
      Oops, thought this was the NY thread..

Comment

• shah
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Tumnus Truck-Tour View Post
        not sure if it's been mentioned already but counter culture coffee is where i get minez
        t
        this, plus intelligentsia. 9th street espresso had one now the other

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Drank way too much Grumpy, Intelligentsia and Stumptown (both at Variety and at the Ace) this past month to keep me going on 15-18 hr days.

I found the Grumpy cappuccino to be the best of the three with the Stumptown being second and intelligentsia a very close third. The iced coffee from Stumptown was good, but I liked the Intelligentsia better and more citrusy.

I didn't get a chance to check out bluebottle which was unfortunate :(
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• gnarjen
            • Oct 2009

I will never tire of making my own Illy espresso on the stove at home, though I have found a few places around the city who carry it. Can't sit still [..drinking it] so always go for two shots with lots of ice to go go go.

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
              I found the Grumpy cappuccino to be the best of the three with the Stumptown being second and intelligentsia a very close third. The iced coffee from Stumptown was good, but I liked the Intelligentsia better and more citrusy.
              Do you remember what was being used for the iced coffee? Origin matters as much as roaster, may make it easier to find what you like.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                Do you remember what was being used for the iced coffee? Origin matters as much as roaster, may make it easier to find what you like.
                Hmm, good question. I really forgot to ask

I'm planning on ordering some various roasts from Stumptown and Grumpy... any recommendations? I liked the Grumpy heartbreaker espresso blend for cappuccinos but don't know much otherwise.

Stumptown at the Ace hotel had some ridiculous amount of beans to choose from including their "grand reserves" which were $$.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Well, for recommendations, it's dependent on your tastes. Like, I LOATHE the Panama Esmerelda, always have. It tastes like beef-stock tomato soup to me. But, it continues to win prizes.

I like the Guatamala Finca El Injerto Bourbon (not pacamara), Costa Rica Montes de Oro, and most of the Kenyans. But I like light bodied coffees that are mostly fruit and acid with a bit of chocolaty-ness.

My girlfriend hates all of those, and loves the Ethopians and the Indonesian. She likes very robust, full-bodied coffee.

Basically, it's what you like, but if you like lighter ... I dunno, almost floral coffees, try the ones I recommend. If you like "rich" coffees, try the ones she likes.

The Grand Crus are alright I suppose. It's neat how much work they put into them. But, I just don't think they're worth the price unless you've got access to either a vacuum press or a clover.

I don't know a lot of their coffees, just too much turnover, and I'm only in Portland on occasion. I may not be recommending the best, just the stuff I know.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                    Well, for recommendations, it's dependent on your tastes. Like, I LOATHE the Panama Esmerelda, always have. It tastes like beef-stock tomato soup to me. But, it continues to win prizes.

I like the Guatamala Finca El Injerto Bourbon (not pacamara), Costa Rica Montes de Oro, and most of the Kenyans. But I like light bodied coffees that are mostly fruit and acid with a bit of chocolaty-ness.

My girlfriend hates all of those, and loves the Ethopians and the Indonesian. She likes very robust, full-bodied coffee.

Basically, it's what you like, but if you like lighter ... I dunno, almost floral coffees, try the ones I recommend. If you like "rich" coffees, try the ones she likes.

The Grand Crus are alright I suppose. It's neat how much work they put into them. But, I just don't think they're worth the price unless you've got access to either a vacuum press or a clover.

I don't know a lot of their coffees, just too much turnover, and I'm only in Portland on occasion. I may not be recommending the best, just the stuff I know.

Awesome! Thanks! It's certainly a start and fun to try different roasts anyways.

I think I like the flavors more on your end of the spectrum versus what you describe for your girlfriend. Maybe something in between. Something really clean on the palate with just a bit of acidity for coffee. For cappuccinos I like richer notes since the milk takes the edge off of the espresso.

I have a bag of the Ethiopian mordecofe espresso beans from Stumptown.... will grind and give em a try later on this week :)

Comment

• BUMMER
                      • Feb 2010

Tried the La Colombe beans at home this morning. (Their house espresso beans: "Nizza"): Delicious.
                      Very smooth, full taste. I only needed one espresso as opposed to my regular two.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Tried Abraco for the first time today. As advertised. What's with the $2.5 drip coffee though?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tumnus Truck-Tour
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2009

Not sure if choke motorcycle shop in LA is still making shots, but it's a pretty good place. Metropolis if you're in Chicago.

Originally posted by shahanshah View Post
                          t
                          this, plus intelligentsia. 9th street espresso had one now the other

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

nespresso kazaar. intensity level 12/10
                            i suggest nespresso owners try this if you are looking for a new flavour..

this shit will fuck you up proper in the 25ml pour. tastes like mocha when made into a cappucino..

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I am consistently finding that for home use Italian coffee blows everything else out of water. Any regular Illy can or even Lavazza are better than any organic-artisanal-fair-trade-locally-roasted-by-hippie-lesbian-farmers-eco-super-green-my-shit-don't-stink-yuppy-hipster coffee. I don't know what they do to it, but it's the truth.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                I am consistently finding that for home use Italian coffee blows everything else out of water. Any regular Illy can or even Lavazza are better than any organic-artisanal-fair-trade-locally-roasted-by-hippie-lesbian-farmers-eco-super-green-my-shit-don't-stink-yuppy-hipster coffee. I don't know what they do to it, but it's the truth.
                                Hahaha, Illy is actually pretty good. I've been drinking Gorilla lately though after being able to snag some last time I was in NYC and it's pretty damn good. Illy is easier to get for me and I'll go back to it once my stash runs out hehehe

I still don't know how Abraco pulls that rich and thick cappucino that they do though. Incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎