• Jul 2012

kona coffee from hawaii,

drank that stuff every morning for 2 weeks on my vacay to hawaii last week

started off my day jussssssss right, hangover or no hangover

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

i know you guys will scoff at nespresso but i recently bought a nespresso machine and have been loving it. i still make coffee with my french press and/or stove and the nespresso holds up

@nomad, spent 2 weeks in hawaii kona is awesome but the peaberry kona was just awful and more expensive i dont get it

Comment

• Nomad_
        • Jul 2012

hmm didnt know about that never tried the peaberry actually didnt know until reading your post just now

just had the regular one i guess

Comment

• drizzly
          Banned
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Nomad_ View Post
          hmm didnt know about that never tried the peaberry actually didnt know until reading your post just now

just had the regular one i guess
          kona is way better, peaberry was a let down

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

So, Peaberry is just a description of the shape of the bean. Regular coffee beans are flat, peaberries grow to be closer to ovoid/spherical.

(image from serious eats)

If you're finding one to be much better than the other, it's more likely a feature of the roasting, or because you got a blend. Do keep in mind that Kona is just a place of origin, and there are almost certainly a wide variety of species of coffee grown on the island.

Kona and Kona blend are essentially unrelated coffees. Because Hawaii is deeply concerned about contamination with various food pests, they take a nearly unprecedented step in "sanitizing" beans brought into Hawaii. Any coffee beans brought into Hawaii are put in a chamber with Chlorine gas, and left there long enough to kill anything that might be living in the container.

So, when you get Kona coffee, or a Kona peaberry coffee, you get coffee from hawaii.

When you get a Kona (or Kona peaberry) blend, you get a tiny bit of coffee with hawaii, mixed with chlorine impregnated beans from (usually) the cheapest available source.

You might notice a difference.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

Just got my shipment of La Colombe coffee (yes, I'm guilty of falling prey to the TV show and buying coffee based off that, but homeboy seems fanatical about good beans). At bat was the Nizza blend and I must say, out of the 5 years of owning the Rancilio Silvia, today was the best shot I ever pulled.

My first sip of crema rich espresso tasted like unsweetened caramel with a touch of pine nut. Then made my best latte ever (still can't make latte art worth a shit. My hearts unfortunately look like anatomically correct ones, not of the poetic kind).

$27.50 (22+ 5.50 shipping) for 2 bags is well worth it.

I will be in Hawaii next week and spending a few days in Kona. Was really upset to see that buying beans directly from the farm was still $40-80/lb. WTF? They don't have to ship or package, so I assumed they would be cheaper to purchase at the source. I need to find a local and get the secret of getting the "locals" price.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I love La Colombe beans as well. I think I get the Phocea for my French press. Delicious and fairly priced.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• drizzly
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                  So, Peaberry is just a description of the shape of the bean. Regular coffee beans are flat, peaberries grow to be closer to ovoid/spherical.

(image from serious eats)

If you're finding one to be much better than the other, it's more likely a feature of the roasting, or because you got a blend. Do keep in mind that Kona is just a place of origin, and there are almost certainly a wide variety of species of coffee grown on the island.

Kona and Kona blend are essentially unrelated coffees. Because Hawaii is deeply concerned about contamination with various food pests, they take a nearly unprecedented step in "sanitizing" beans brought into Hawaii. Any coffee beans brought into Hawaii are put in a chamber with Chlorine gas, and left there long enough to kill anything that might be living in the container.

So, when you get Kona coffee, or a Kona peaberry coffee, you get coffee from hawaii.

When you get a Kona (or Kona peaberry) blend, you get a tiny bit of coffee with hawaii, mixed with chlorine impregnated beans from (usually) the cheapest available source.

You might notice a difference.
                  are you sure, when i took the tour at the roasting factory i was told that kona pea berry is rarer and has a specific taste

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

It is rarer (most beans don't grow that way), it does have a specific taste, but it's a very slight variation on the theme of the normal beans growing on the same tree.

As is always the case, wikipedia knows more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaberry
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

I'm salivating just reading about your description of the La Colombe espresso result on the Silvia. I may have to just give it a go just to give it a go at that price. Need to clean my machine pretty badly as well haha.

I purchased the new Hario scale w/built in timer which I'll be using with my Chemex. Probably will get more use with it in the mornings than the espresso machine given how early I get up.

Price was fair at around $55-60 and with the built in timer it's a nice touch.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                        It is rarer (most beans don't grow that way), it does have a specific taste, but it's a very slight variation on the theme of the normal beans growing on the same tree.

As is always the case, wikipedia knows more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaberry

When we were in Kona and visiting some plantations they hyped the shit out of the Kona peaberry. Honestly I could not appreciate a significant difference between the normal and the peaberry at least in drip coffee form.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Cup or Vacuum press/Clover for subtle differences. Also, if it's roasted medium/dark, subtle differences will be completely gone.

Drip ... well, everyone needs caffeine, but drip is maybe not the best yardstick.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Three weeks of use with the Hario scale, new Chemex (last one got shattered in the move), Coava Kone and fresh roasted local beans and it's been some of the nicest, cleanest tasting pour over coffee I've had. Being able to be a stickler about my bean:water ratio and brew times has really changed it for me.

All items together still cost less than $150 with parts that essentially don't wear out. Totally worth it and highly recommended!

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

^ no grinder?

thinkign bout getting a precisio, anything else better in that price range?

Comment

• drizzly
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                                When we were in Kona and visiting some plantations they hyped the shit out of the Kona peaberry. Honestly I could not appreciate a significant difference between the normal and the peaberry at least in drip coffee form.
                                me too, i liked regular kona way better

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎