Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaglewood
    • Feb 2007

Best coffee I ever had was some coffee called Kopi Luwak. A friend brought it back from Indonesia (Java of all places) quite a while ago. It is coffee beans that have been eaten by some possum and then shat out and collected. It was beautiful rich stuff. It is possible to buy it but it is very expensive.

Comment

• thomas.buckler
      Banned
      • Jun 2007

I like:

1 - Metropolis Coffee in Chicago
      2 - Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea in Chicago
      3 - Counter Culture Coffee in North Carolina

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I'm sorry, I wouldn't be caught dead in the last two. Not with those names.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          They're roasters first, cafes second. Among the best. Grumpy in NYC uses (or used to use) Counter Culture. Still haven't had a better espresso.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Hehe, c'mon, Intelligentsia is a legend, I always make a point to go there when in Chicago.

Speaking of cheesy names but good coffee, I'll add one from my recent trip to New Haven. There are plenty of coffee shops there but I've never had great coffee. There's a new place called Blue State and it was quite good. I think they have other locations on the east coast (a lefty themed coffee shop wouldn't fly in Texas).

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            music

Comment

• cuddly
              • Sep 2007

mcdonalds iced coffee, hazelnut.

Comment

• eaglewood
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cuddly View Post
                mcdonalds iced coffee, hazelnut.
                I can believe that. Even though I have spent a life time trying to avoid it. Maybe it is time to try it.
                I wonder what McDonalds espresso tastes like because I expect that they actually train people how to make it consistently whereas most places it is pretty random who makes the coffee and whether it is good. That is so even in Melbourne where we are supposed to be some greatest coffee snobs in the world.

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

first office purchase after signing our long-term lease was an amazing built-in coffee system. we have gimme! coffee delivered every week, grind our own and it is an exceptional cup. i recommend their platinum blonde.

Comment

• Kingdavid
                    • Jan 2009

My friend from Park Slope sent me some Gorilla and I thought that it was really great. I've also heard amazing things about Stumptown from a lot of my friends who been there.

I live in Los Angeles and I would say that the best coffee shop out here is Inteligentsia in Silverlake. They're from Chicago and mentioned here for good reason. They're part of the new trend of serving varietals and they use the Clover machines. L.A. Mill in Silverlake also has some great varietals. Other than that, L.A. is pretty much devoid of good coffee shops.

I lived in San Francisco in the early 90s and the cafe culture was so much better. The style of coffee was really bitter and over-roasted, though, in my opinion. It worked well if it was cold and damp but it got to be a bit much after a while. Someone mentioned it here and it's true that Peet's used to be a great coffee but their quality has suffered over the years. And Starbucks is pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

I used to roast coffee years ago for a company called Graffeo. They're from San Francisco and family-owned since the 40s. They were very ahead of their time and started using an air-roaster built by Mike Sivetz, who designed them for Hershey's to roast nuts during WWII. The air-roast will never burn the beans and gives an even roast to the bean as opposed to a barrel-roaster which burns the outside of the beans as they are turned. A big difference, and some prefer the more traditional barrel-roast but it is worth trying because it produces a very smooth flavor and the hot air produces very little moisture in the beans so that they can actually be frozen and not get damaged by the expansion of water.

Graffeo only has one blend - Colombian, Costa Rican and Papua New Guinea, all Arabica beans. They roast light and dark only but these can be blended to suit your taste. The way to go is dark. Unfortunately, the coffee isn't very easy to find as it's not marketed. In San Francisco it is found in markets and restaurants but in Los Angeles you would have to go to the sole location in Beverly Hills. They do mail order, though, but I don't think that there is any website - it's a pretty old-school operation.

I love all of the attention that coffee has gotten over the years and really appreciate the fact that there are connoisseurs who are treating the varietals and roasts as though they were fine wines and I love trying new companies. Somehow I never tire of Graffeo, though, and I would recommend trying it if you're ever able to seek it out.

Comment

• howinpark
                      • Jan 2009

my morning coffe way to school..
                      of course cant compare the taste with good coffees out there.
                      but def' morning coffee is the best. with croissant
                      hm..... gotta go out and pick up something right now

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

I've had McDonalds coffee the last two mornings.... and it hasn't been that bad I have to admit.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• howinpark
                          • Jan 2009

^^
                          hey one of my friend's best coffee is from McDonalds haha
                          He loves it to death.. he cried out for it today too

Comment

• Canaduh0415
                            • Feb 2008

echo the thoughts of the King as the air roasting is noticeably better for those with discerning taste.
                            It has been a very difficult year

Comment

• Charlesdar
                              • Mar 2009

7-11. best coffee and hot chocolate! Careful with the coco. may give you the shits for days....

Comment

• rorschach
                                • Sep 2008

Yeah, gorilla is pretty good but I gotta say my favorite right now is La Colombe Cafe on 319 Church street. The espresso drinks in particular are amazing - really well balanced and not overwhelming like I feel gorilla tends to be. I lived down the road from Gorilla and have had many a cup, trust me. Colombe is the favorite.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎