• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Frequently Asked (Inane) questions

for albert
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

hahaha, thanks P!

Lemme start it off:

Q: I want to buy CCP shoes/boots, what size should I get?

A: This is a multipart answer.
    1. You need to learn to read the threads.
    2. Typically, CCP boots (rear zip, side zip, zip in your face) fit approximately 1.5 sizes large. If you wear US 9.5 to 10, get CCP boots in size 8. CCP oxfords fit approximately 2 sizes large so if you're a US 9.5 to 10 the 8 may be spot on to a little roomy.

Q: I want to buy CCP, where should I go?
    A: Click Here.

Q: Nono, I meant online.
    A: Well, then click Here or Here,

Q: I want the new Rick high collar leather jacket that Pnod/Tangerine/Old Dirty Bastard be rocking. Which leather is best? Calf? Lamb? Turtle? I want on this bandwagon of ballerdom.
    A: Click Here and then please die again.

Q: What size Rick t-shirt/tank/long sleeve/twist should I get if I'm a size XS/S/M/L/XL in Nautica long sleeve button up dress shirts?
    A: They stretch like crazy. Chances are, if you're going for a fitted cut, go down one size. They all stretch so expect that. If you size down one then it will semi-stretch to fit you while eventually retaining that nice drape.

A bit more information on the tanks here.

Q: Atelier is having a sale? Can someone check it out for me and see if they have _______?
    A: Well, probably not just for you, but if you want something specific (ie- brand, item, size), then go here and contact this baller.

Q: (after someone posts a photo of something new) Damn, that looks good, price?
    A: Call the store.

Q: Continues sizing? I want those O-project sweaters that Luca himself hand-wove dried catshit into and I need to know what size to get.

A: LMaltieri/CDiem Shirt/Jacket/Coat Sizing- 1=44 2=46 3=48 4=50 5=52 approximately. For some pieces you may have to size up and for coats you may find that sizing down one number will result in a better slim fit.
    For pants, you may have to size up 1 number from what you are in tops (ie- a size 50 pants would be a 4 or a 5)
    For footwear with a bulbous toebox, size down 1 from the tagged size (if you have a normal width foot, you can size down 2 if it's a HG pair). For flat toebox pairs, get your same size.

For Linea pieces, size up 2-3 numerical sizes from what you wear in regular CDiem (ie- if you are a CDiem 4, you'll fit a Linea 6 or 7)

LUC sizing- Size down for outerwear for a slimmer fit, for knit outerwear size down for the same or go with your regular size if you plan on doing some light layering. Pants are true to size. Shirts are about 1 size small from tagged. For the "grandma's knit socks", please die.

Q: I want to use Yahoo Japan auctions. What do I search for?

A: Click here

Q: Found baller [insert item here] on Yahoo Japan through your awesome search. How to buy?

A: Use these proxies. Fees vary. Buy at your own risk.

Japan Auction Center
    Sharp Service

Q: What size am I in Attachment/Julius/Viridi Ann/Other Japanese Brand?

A: A good rule of thumb is:

Size 1 = 44
    Size 2 = 46
    Size 3 = 48
    Size 4 = 50
    Size 5 = 52

Julius now has sizes 4 and 5, to be found in a couple of European stores as well as Atelier stateside.

Julius knits/drapey pieces and thicker/longer outerwear tends to fit a size large as well.

Q: What online stores do you guys use to buy all the baller stuff?

A: Darklands - Germany (SZ partner - free shipping, preferred weapon of choice)
    Komakino - Canada (SZ partner - free shipping, preferred weapon of choice)
    The Archive - USA (SZ partner - free shipping to NA, preferred weapon of choice)
    Lazarri - Italiy
    Pollyanna - the U.K.
    Antonioli - Italiy
    Luisa via Roma - Italy
    Aloha Rag - the U.S.
    Browns - the U.K.

Q: I want to buy in Europe, but don't live there - explain this whole VAT thing to me.

A: The European Union imposes Value Added Tax on each retail transaction. This tax varies country by country, going as high as 33%, and is included in the sale price, unless otherwise specified. Those who do not live in the EU don't have to pay VAT. If you buy online, usually the store takes off VAT at check out (contact the store directly to find out more). If you are traveling and are buying from the physical store, you will pay VAT, but will get a form that allows you to get a VAT refund. Different stores do it differently. They either a) do the refund themselves, in which case they give you a tax form, which you present along with the merchandise to the customs office at the airport upon departing EU to be stamped, and then mail them the form), b) you can get an immediate refund for a fee from various private VAT processing companies right at the airport, most notably Global Refund.

Q: Which zipper is best?

A: Riri, Lampo, YKK, RY are all signs that a designer is using quality stuff. You can usually find the zipper logo on the back of the zipper.

Q: What is my US/UK/Euro size?

Size conversion chart

Q: What is the difference between DRKSHDW Detorit and Berlin cuts?

A: Detroits are slim cut. Berlins are regular cut.

Q: OMFG, just saw the runway show, creaming my pants, when will this be in stores?!

A: Fall collections usually get delivered starting mid-July. Spring collections get delivered starting mid-January. Usually there are two deliveries per season. Artisanal brands usually get delivered later, because these are small businesses. Carol delivers whenever the fuck he wants.

Q: Can somebody make sense of all the Margiela lines, please?

A: See below

Q: How should I was my DD/RO/CCP/BBS tees and dress shirts? What about Rick jeans?

A: When in doubt, hand wash. Hand wash in the sink or tub (if you're washing jeans/pants or multiple pieces), gently wring out and dry flat on some towels. This allows you to pull the pieces back into shape and prevents any shrinkage/stretching from machine drying. Wax treatments will stay just fine on Rick jeans through regular cold washes.

Q: How should I take care of my CCP footwear?

A: No shoe trees are necessary. After wearing, at least leave them unzipped overnight to air out and alternate days of wear (general rule for good leather footwear). Most people get a cobbler to install a rubber heel and sole or at least heel taps to increase traction and minimize leather sole damage over time. Especially in wet conditions, a leather sole absorbs the water and softens making it susceptible to damage and you busting your ass on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by Faust; 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

in my experience the Rick trainers fit TRUE TO SIZE

although for one, cant remember who, they actually can fit 3 sizes off ie a 40 can fit a 43.....lulz

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

That reminds me...

SS07 gray MA+ aviator fits almost 2 sizes large ;)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• awlouie
          • Sep 2007

I clicked and died about 6 times!

Much needed thread! Thanks Guys!
          "Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
          -Bruce Lee

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz
            added, let me know if there are any errors/discrepancies.
            i think/know i'm a size 5 in linea which would mean i size up 3 from my theoretical size 2. (you wrote size down) however, in l'malteri i often find a size 3 to be super fitted, meaning i could never fit into a size 2. and I have even gotten a wool/cash jacket in size 4 and had the added benefit of trying on the size 3 at the same time and found that i like the added comfort and roominess. so i guess i find i like/have to size up at least 1 in l'malteri sometimes 2 based on your chart
            Last edited by philip nod; 11-22-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
              i think/know i'm a size 5 in linea which would mean i size up 3 from my theoretical size 2. (you wrote size down) however, in l'malteri i often find a size 3 to be super fitted, meaning i could never fit into a size 2. and I have even gotten a wool/cash jacket in size 4 and had the added benefit of trying on the size 3 at the same time and found that i like the added comfort and roominess. so i guess i find i like/have to size up at least 1 in l'malteri sometimes 2 based on your chart
              Interesting P!

After I slowed down my read to sort out the numbering, it's pretty interesting. I once bought a Linea black long sleeve piece from Atelier and it was a size 6 which fit me pretty nicely as a LMaltieri typical size 4. I just wrote it convoluted I think....

The outerwear seems to fit a tad on the roomy side but like you alluded to, it depends on how you like it.

Gonna reword the Linea portion...

and thanks to Faust for making addendums and adjustments :)

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by philip nod
                also,
                Q: (after someone posts a photo of something new) Damn, that looks good, price?
                A: Call the store.

*but don't call atelier
                If you're gonna buy it, I think you should call. I've had spotty responses to emails, but when I call, I can always find out whether they have it and buy it within like 2 minutes. (NOTE: Only bought 3 things over the phone, but spent over a month waiting for responses that never came to email, and ended up having the item sold the day before I showed up in person)

EDIT: I'm not suggesting you call them idly, and I'm not a baller like many here, but when I'm going to order something, I've had much better luck calling.
                Last edited by theetruscan; 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

Perfect P. I find the same is true for myself. Though I have found myself swimming in size 4 L'Maltieri shirts and sizing down to a 3 that fit like CDiem/L'Maltieri size 4 in the past.
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Agreed. I fit into size 3 L'Maltieri coats just fine, but not the shirts (including leather), those I need in a 4 (at least).
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ironman
                      • Apr 2008

this is a good thread

you should add shoe sizes for the Japanese lines as well. i only have experience with Julius though; hopefully someone can add their experience with Viridi-Anne et al

Julius footwear:
                      Size 1 = 7.5 - 8 US (40/41 EU)
                      Size 2 = 8.5 - 9.5 US (41.5/42.5 EU)
                      Size 3 = 10 - 11 US (43/44/45 EU)

feel free to fix it if you feel it's not accurate

Comment

• curiouscharles
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by drexl
                        This question tends to pop up pretty often too:

General rule of thumb for the Japanese lines (NN, Julius, VA, Attachment etc)

Size 1 = 44
                        Size 2 = 46
                        Size 3 = 48
                        Size 4 = 50
                        Size 5 = 52
                        i can't say this with certainty, as komakino hasn't stocked attachment in awhile, but their size 2 seems to fit a lot smaller than say julius size 2

i can wear a size 1 in most julius tops and pants, whereas the few size 2 tops in attachment i've tried on have been much too small for me

that being said, i'm also a size 3 in undercover tops, but can't say for bottoms (but will let you know once i get back to vancouver)

-

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod
                          there should be a section devoted to types of zippers. my favorite SZ thread derailing conversation, who knew such a little thing could do so much damage
                          I'm doing it just for the hell of it.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                            Julius footwear:
                            Size 1 = 7.5 - 8 US (40/41 EU)
                            Size 2 = 8.5 - 9.5 US (41.5/42.5 EU)
                            Size 3 = 10 - 11 US (43/44/45 EU)
                            Viridi-Anne shoes are a touch smaller than this. I'm an 11 US and, while I can usually fit into a size 3, that's with the lacing undone/zipper undone, and it's still uncomfortable. Only tried on 2 different models, but I'd say, in VA at least, a size 3 is a 10.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Raw Edge
                              • Jan 2008

When they list what's translated into "width" on yahooJP auctions, are they referring to pit-to-pit width, or something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎