X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

^ two great ones that I forgot to list.

In case anyone hasn't seen the Wender's film since it was released, the DVD has a bonus film where Yohji and Wim meet up again after a decade or so and talk about what's changed.

I saw the Bill Cunningham doc at Film Forum in April and thought it was wonderful but kind of sad. I can't believe it's still playing at IFC.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• thee_vultures _actress
      • Jun 2010

new documentary by michael glawogger, director of megacities and workingman´s death ....highly recommended!

Comment

• KM80
        • Mar 2008

Comment

• howl
          • Nov 2008

one on yohji and one on rei, both in japanese though.
          Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

• klangspiel
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
            Autoluminescent (Rowland S Howard)
            lovely doco. worth the price of entry alone for the one moment when wim wenders waxed articulate over the birthday party's presence in the berlin underground scene of the time by likening them to the city's migratory siberian crows: dark / black clothing, spiky harsh hairstyles, lanky angular physiques, feral outsiders with sinister yet alluring personas, or something to that effect...

Comment

• thehouseofdis
              • Jan 2010

^great!

it's worth the entry price to see rowland on a big screen.
              THE HOUSE OF DIS
              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

on the bill cunningham doc, he doesn't strike me as a guy who would want to reveal himself on film. you can tell the bit of a breakdown at the end when they asked him if he has ever fallen in love. he'd rather be on the other side of the lens, so i'm surprised he'd even agree to it..

was nice to see carmen dell'orefice make a cameo.

Comment

• aussy
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                  on the bill cunningham doc, he doesn't strike me as a guy who would want to reveal himself on film. you can tell the bit of a breakdown at the end when they asked him if he has ever fallen in love. he'd rather be on the other side of the lens, so i'm surprised he'd even agree to it..
                  Agreed. Seems to conflict with his whole outsider looking in point of view and lifestyle. Though, he seems to be a good humored guy, so probably thought it'd be fun. He probably didn't expect those personal questions.

Also, thanks for the rec, Faust. Was a nice watch.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

You are welcome. Also, when they asked him about religion, he really closed in. It seems like he is gay and comes from a pretty severe family and probably has a lot inside. Anyway, don't mean to dig into his personality - I love most that for him clothes > celebs. I loved the moment where everyone jumped onto a chance to photograph Denevue, and he completely ignored her because he did not like what she was wearing. Fantastic to see someone stay true to himself in this shit industry.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• aussy
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      You are welcome. Also, when they asked him about religion, he really closed in. It seems like he is gay and comes from a pretty severe family and probably has a lot inside. Anyway, don't mean to dig into his personality - I love most that for him clothes > celebs. I loved the moment where everyone jumped onto a chance to photograph Denevue, and he completely ignored her because he did not like what she was wearing. Fantastic to see someone stay true to himself in this shit industry.
                      just saw this now, but so true
                      he has a very personal vision of whats interesting or beautiful
                      he seems to view his work as art and compositions rather than photo media, an expression of his fascination with clothes
                      distinguishable when he reflects on his working process
                      I hadn't heard of him until watching this documentary, but hes definitely a refreshing, fashion personality

Comment

• Acéphale
                        • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• several_girls
                          • Nov 2010

Haven't seen this in full, but the trailer is enticing:

Comment

• thee_vultures _actress
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by noumenos
                            Dunno if there is a "movie" thread but as it's also a documentary, I post it here:

Did anyone see it ?
                            ...no, but i will tomorrow @ viennale filmfestival. there is also a retrospective exhibition called "blood sex magick" which opened yesterday. it shows mainly photoworks from the pandrogeny project, but also some glimpses of his/her other work with coum, ptv and throbbing gristle... sadly, the planned concert on saturday has been cancelled due to health problems...

Comment

• thee_vultures _actress
                              • Jun 2010

just saw it, a bit frustrating, deception.
                              what do you mean by deception?

i actually quite liked it, allthough i had expected and still wish it would focus a little bit more on the pandrogeny project. of course there are the scenes dealing with the plastic surgery and how genesis and lady jaye became more and more similar in their appearance, but the documentary doesn´t elaborate on the spiritual/philosophical implications this has (though genesis has written a lot about this). it also lacks the voice of lady jaye and what she has to say about it.

after the showing marie losier talked a little bit about the origins and development of the documentary, and how she and genesis - especially after the passing of lady jaye - wanted it to be a portrait and testimonial of the lovestory between genesis and lady jaye rather than a documentary about the pandrogeny project... i respect that and as i said, i appreciate the movie - as such. marie losier also said, she has 100+ hours of footage and interviews with many people not shown in the movie and that there propably will be lots of bonus material, once the dvd will be released.

Comment

• thee_vultures _actress
                                • Jun 2010

Don't know precisely, I have the feeling of a rushed work (although it's not the case, I'm aware of it...). Also, there is no outside point of view, only the things Genesis chose to show, and he carefully chose to tell an acceptable and obviously biased story, in which he nearly appear like a pleasant guy. I left the theater with the same feeling I have after a political meeting, you know, "I'm a kid, and these guys just told me beautiful stories..."
                                i can hear your point on the bit onesided self-portrayal... however, if you experience GPO irl, s/he is that pleasant person most of the time - but at times s/he can also be an unpredictable diva...

the thing i always have with the work of GPO is that the themes s/he is approaching and the ways s/he chooses to do so are brilliant, but often it seems to me that s/he moves on to new things so quickly, that the outcome rarely comes to full fruition and stays somehow fragmentary. often s/he emphasizes that change is the only constant, and still there obviously are other constants in GPO´s work, as ideas are often revisited and reaffirmed.. i think it´s very good and important someone like GPO is out there, allthough i can rarely appreciate his/her works to 100%. then again, recognizing how much s/he fights for total freedom of individual and denies idolization/identification, that makes sense again. no seperation between art and life is made, and thus imperfection is visible and the paradox beast that life is - s/he carries it inside out... maybe that last point is what the documentary could have shown more clearly.

erhh well, hope that makes any sense to you...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎