X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rach2jlc
    • Sep 2006

Givenchy Homme (by Tisci) S/S 09

Do we have a thread for Tisci for Givenchy? I couldn't find one, but if we do, feel free to merge Herr Favst!

I was one of the relative few who liked the first few seasons of what Boateng did for the brand; I hate Boateng himself (he does decent work and decent tailoring, but talks about himself like he's the second coming), but I ended up purchasing a fair number of items from his tenure. Nice fits, interesting details, edgy but still classic at the same time.

I also thought the design team did a decent job for a few seasons after Boateng, up until Tisci took over.

What do you guys think? I see definite potential, but I also see a lot of things that I'd never even think of wearing. Some of it seems unique, some edgy, and some costume-y to the point of gimmickry. Givenchy is a tough brand to "gauge" as a designer, I think, but nevertheless my sense of the brand is that it needs a sense of chic and subtlety that overall I didn't see much in this collection. Hedi got that vibe with Dior in 2002-2004 perfectly, Pilati is doing it again with YSL... Lanvin is getting it, as well... can Tisci find his "niche" with Givenchy???

BUT, I do think it is a fresh "breath" into the brand and I'm willing to give him a few chances to "warm up" over the next few seasons.

Link to the whole collection:
  • Catfood
    • Oct 2008

The womenswear is far superior, in my opinion. I do like certain things like the suits, some of the footwear looks like it could be nice too. As a whole though I feel its a bit all over the place, the boxy shorts with legging and the general boxy cut and boy scout look of some of it doesn't quite resonate with some of the slimmer pieces like the suits for example. The hot pink color of a few looks is slightly WTF worthy too in my opinion. There doesn't look to be that much in the way of interesting details either, except possibly on the shoes.

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
      The womenswear is far superior, in my opinion. I do like certain things like the suits, some of the footwear looks like it could be nice too. As a whole though I feel its a bit all over the place, the boxy shorts with legging and the general boxy cut and boy scout look of some of it doesn't quite resonate with some of the slimmer pieces like the suits for example. The hot pink color of a few looks is slightly WTF worthy too in my opinion. There doesn't look to be that much in the way of interesting details either, except possibly on the shoes.
      Agreed; womenswear at Givenchy has ALWAYS been superior. Nevertheless, I think there is SO much potential at Givenchy men's side, but for the past 10 years or so they've just never really been able to capitalize on it and find the right "niche."

With the market downturn, it may be too late, and if Tisci is going to do something, he'd better do it within the next season...

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I don't remember us having one. Thanks John! Some of his womenswear is really stellar and a nice change from Rick because it's a bit posh, and I sometimes like posh (unless it's Posh). I am not excited about this though.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I don't remember us having one. Thanks John! Some of his womenswear is really stellar and a nice change from Rick because it's a bit posh, and I sometimes like posh (unless it's Posh). I am not excited about this though.
          Yes, it's always been amazing to me when very talented, interesting womenswear designers nevertheless have a really tough transition to menswear. I'm sure that the mindset that goes into it is different; and yet, it seems to me that (as men) it would be the easiest, most enjoyable thing in the world to design clothes for guys like us.

Some of them, like MJ, are at least honest and say, "I don't like it... I don't get it... so I hire somebody else to do it!" haha

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ That's why I think for a lot of them it's just a glamorous job. I mean, if you had access to any fabrics you wanted, any production facilities you wanted, wouldn't you want to make awesome stuff bascially FOR YOURSELF?! I mean that's how Yohji, Ann, Rick, Altieri operate.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

I liked this quite a bit....it's a nice uniform style collection with a few twists here and there. Like the easy feel of the clothes.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

heh, I think i read somewhere that this collection was inspired somewhat by LA street biker culture...i had a really hard time seeing that connection, but I guess something here or there might draw a very loose click.

when i said easy feel, in general i was referring to the looser/boxier silhouettes of most of the tops, and some bottoms. like this top is something i'd wear:

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• baby
                  • Aug 2008

meh some of its okay.

i hate givenchy because it reminds me of american apperal the bitches in the ads are smokin but then they got like two thousand pounds of dumb necklaces on or some shit so u hate yourself for wanting to bang the **** out of them.
                  Originally posted by pipcleo
                  if i see a black man fall on the street i stop and help him up

Comment

• rach2jlc
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by baby View Post
                    meh some of its okay.

i hate givenchy because it reminds me of american apperal the bitches in the ads are smokin but then they got like two thousand pounds of dumb necklaces on or some shit so u hate yourself for wanting to bang the **** out of them.
                    Ummm.... okaaaay...

Givenchy may be many things, but American Apparel? And, what exactly do the women in the adverts have to do with Tisci's s/s 09?

Further, I'm sure the female members of this board... and the models in question... would love for someone to be referring to them and their hard work as "bitches [that] you hate yourself for wanting to bang."

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

John, look at the guy's screen name. His (inexplicable) charm comes from goo-gaa-ing, so don't expect an intelligent answer, lol.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                        • Sep 2006

^Haha, thanks Faust. I guess I hadn't read his other posts enough to know anything about him.

It just always gets to me when guys/girls use terms like "bitches" to refer to women or other sorts of demeaning terms or basically objectify them as sex objects and little more. Plus, when the person doing it doesn't even use rudimentary punctuation or capitalization, it's just a little bewildering.

Anyway.... I suppose I shall have to keep reading in order to find some semblance of his "inexplicable" charm...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

We already had this discussion. Laika found it endearing, so who am I to argue...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

baby/artist formerly known as v-diddy is the man, dude needs to post a lot more. I could compile all of his posts into an anthology and read that every day and not get bored.
                            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ see what I mean, John?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎