• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rach2jlc
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    /\ see what I mean, John?
    No... I don't. Not yet. But, I guess I shall have to "warm up" to it??? lol

Maybe he's like a fine Scotch... it takes some time to get used to it and see the appeal...

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

heh I would say it's more like tobacco

you either love it or hate it.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Secretside
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
        Agreed; womenswear at Givenchy has ALWAYS been superior. Nevertheless, I think there is SO much potential at Givenchy men's side, but for the past 10 years or so they've just never really been able to capitalize on it and find the right "niche."

With the market downturn, it may be too late, and if Tisci is going to do something, he'd better do it within the next season...
        exactly-

Spring 09 was a huge departure from past seasons at Givenchy (a step in the right direction IMO), the past couple of collections were dreadfully boring. there was talk in the "Luxury Prices are Falling" thread about Givenchy Menswear possibly going under, I dunno. If Ricardo continues to polish this aesthetic and build upon SS09 I think he can salvage it from bland seasons' past (although I'd have to agree with you about it possibly being too late; why did you wait so long to give us SS09, T?)

anyway, here is the video:

Last edited by Secretside; 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

its never too late...

looking back, this probably falls in my top 5 mens shows for this runway season. its fresh and doesn't feel too fashiony or trying, which I think too much of commercial mens fashion does these days.
          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Secretside
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
            its never too late...

looking back, this probably falls in my top 5 mens shows for this runway season. its fresh and doesn't feel too fashiony or trying, which I think too much of commercial mens fashion does these days.
            redacted

Last edited by Secretside; 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

yeah that close up kinda kills it for me

i think they would be fine if it didn't have the gladiator bondage shit goin up the shins.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• rach2jlc
                • Sep 2006

Thanks, Secretside, for the video. As I mentioned, though I didn't just fall in LOVE with this collection, I do think it might be a decent start and gives Tisci a lot of directions in which to move. Further, the two very good collections that the Design Team put out just after Boateng (Spring and Fall 2008) helped get people interested again and paved the way for Tisci to do something different and fresh... if he can!

As for dear Oz Boateng... he sort of pigeonholed himself into a corner with his attitude and with a collection that claimed it was being "radically different" but basically put out simply tailored classics... sometimes in a unique color (like brick red or emerald green). That doesn't "reinvigorate" a house... it just makes you say, "meh" after 2-3 seasons... which is exactly what happened with Boateng.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to what Tisci does next season. Nevertheless, given the market as it is, he's not going to be able to have 3-4 seasons to "find himself." He needs a really stellar one in the next season or two or else the LVMH heads might say, "Why are we still sinking money into this???"
                Last edited by rach2jlc; 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
                  Thanks, Secretside, for the video. As I mentioned, though I didn't just fall in LOVE with this collection, I do think it might be a decent start and gives Tisci a lot of directions in which to move. Further, the two very good collections that the Design Team put out just after Boateng (Spring and Fall 2008) helped get people interested again and paved the way for Tisci to do something different and fresh... if he can!

As for dear Oz Boateng... he sort of pigeonholed himself into a corner with his attitude and with a collection that claimed it was being "radically different" but basically put out simply tailored classics... sometimes in a unique color (like brick red or emerald green). That doesn't "reinvigorate" a house... it just makes you say, "meh" after 2-3 seasons... which is exactly what happened with Boateng.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to what Tisci does next season. Nevertheless, given the market as it is, he's not going to be able to have 3-4 seasons to "find himself." He needs a really stellar one in the next season or two or else the LVMH heads might say, "Why are we still sinking money into this???"
                  +1
                  It's an interesting collection but I'm not liking it yet; I'll definitely pay attention next season.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Real Real
                    • Feb 2007

Check out Givenchy's website - gives a lot of information on this collection. I like the colors.

Comment

• darker shades
                      • Nov 2008

There are a few individuals on the frontier, but with the current economical climate, it is a hard option to push the so-called boundaries in menswear. On one hand one wants to feed their creativity and personal philosophy, and on the other one must be able to make sure the market likes the garments to spend. But like with everything in fashion these days, one must make money.

Mr Arnault will make sure of that. They all can't be like Mr Pugh........though he is turning a tide so to speak.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

How's this looking for those who have seen it in stores?

There was that one t-shirt posted in the WTF thread, but everybody has to put those out for bread on the table's sake nowadays, wouldn't write it off from that alone...
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

I dont like it, and as Faust said, its kinda wierd to me that so many Male designers struggle to design menswear. as a male designer, for me it is alot easier than the womens....
                          I still have not in my own mind made a conclusive opinion on Tisci though, ive seen some interesting things but also some really Mundane things. Like others i will be a little more patient with him.
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                            How's this looking for those who have seen it in stores?

There was that one t-shirt posted in the WTF thread, but everybody has to put those out for bread on the table's sake nowadays, wouldn't write it off from that alone...
                            It's terrible, downright terrible.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Secretside
                              • Jul 2008

Just checked LVR, their spring buy doesn't even look like the same collection...

Faust, did you happen to see the leather leggings/shorts? I think I read retail was like 5/6K - insane. At this rate I give Givenchy's menswear 1, maybe 2 more seasons until it goes kaput. Ah well, good riddance.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I saw some shorts, but I don't buy shorts, so didn't give them a closer look (and looks like I didn't have to).
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎