X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drexl
    • Sep 2006

Atelier lets the sun shine in

Soho's Atelier was long known for its shaded point of view: Blacks and grays reigned—or so it seemed. (Owner Karlo Steel prefers the term "non-colors," which, he notes, includes beiges, too.) The dusky palette hasn't changed with the store's new digs on Hudson Street, but the larger, brighter space casts new light—literally—on the well-curated selection of high-end avant designers. Steel tends to favor Japanese designers, like Miharayasuhiro, Julius, Undercover, and Number (N)ine, who are now to be joined by Comme des Garçons Homme and Homme Plus. "Comme des Garçons...was really the line that was missing," Steel explains. "The brands that we carry all have a lineage that can be traced back to Rei Kawakubo and Yohji Yamamoto. We have a lot of the children and grandchildren of Rei and Yohji,"—so to speak—"and now we have the grandmother!" Sure, the present moment makes a CdG splurge pause-worthy, but the store is worth a visit for the design alone: Dressing rooms feature 16-foot mirrors and black cow-fur upholstery (which complement the shop's plentiful leather offerings), and works by Joseph Beuys and Richard Serra are prominently on display. Look for exhibitions to follow as well in the coming months, the first by Julius designer Tatsuro Horikawa.
    Atelier New York, 304 Hudson St., NYC, (212) 941-8435, ateliernewyork.com

Source: men.style.com
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Can't wait to see the new store in person but after seeing those pictures, it looks great.
    I also suddenly got the urge to buy a lotto ticket...
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Holy shit, they are adding CDG?! Just at the right moment too, with the SS09 collection, makes sense. I am actually excited, because you know this will be the best buy in the city.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

CDG's SS09 collection makes perfect sense at A, I would agree with that! Can't wait to see how they buy it...Give me black, black, and maybe some gray. :)

P.S. Wonder if/when they'll drop N(N)? It just doesn't seem to be meshing with the other lines like it once did.
        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

i went to the store today. it looks great. the space is pretty incredible and the dressing room is a total mindfuck. i was told about how they got cdg and they were extremely happy about it. apparently they've been trying to get it for some time, but now that they've have it, they're fucking stoked.

btw, good to see you back cas. ;)
          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by drexl View Post
            Dressing rooms feature 16-foot mirrors and black cow-fur upholstery (which complement the shop's plentiful leather offerings), and works by Joseph Beuys and Richard Serra are prominently on display. Look for exhibitions to follow as well in the coming months, the first by Julius designer Tatsuro Horikawa.
            !

...?

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

Awesome to hear they've picked up CdG, great timing indeed. I can't wait to see how they style it.
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

I've heard from other store owners that stocking CDG is a huge deal. You need to climb the ladder of hierarchy and show yourselves worthy of retailing their lines.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

oh shit, space looks goooooooooooooood

although I'll miss the old spot still. It was such a nice, quiet away-from-it-all location.

In related news, Atelier posted their MA+ exclusive pieces post-photo shoot on their site. Yikes.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Hewmiri
                    • Feb 2007

I was there toooodaaay

I want my whole bedroom to look like the change rooms

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                      oh shit, space looks goooooooooooooood

although I'll miss the old spot still. It was such a nice, quiet away-from-it-all location.

In related news, Atelier posted their MA+ exclusive pieces post-photo shoot on their site. Yikes.
                      Trust me, this one is even quieter. And it's a block away from RO ;-). So now my SoHo route changed from an inverted letter "L" starting from crosby and going to grand to visit IF and Yohji, to a proper "L", starting from Hudson and going back to Grand, lol.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

and then it shines out of their behinds
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Wait they own some Serra and Beuys or just pictures of the works? If it's the former Faust and me are selling our wardrobe and starting a clothing boutique.
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

they bought a bunch of art for the store
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

The actual art works, Fuuma. Believe it. I'd go 50/50 with you any day.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎