X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DHC
    • Jul 2007

A day in LA (your town)

It seems like there are plenty of SZers who like to travel. This is a place to post things to do in a day as a local in your city. This should benefit those who might visit your town and hate tourist traps.

Edit: I was going to kick off the list but just got drafted to run some errands. Will post soon. Looking forward to everyone else's though.
    Originally posted by Faust
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

New York.

1. Start at Atelier.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Portland, Oregon:
      Great city to do without a car, but I'll give a fun itinerary for with and without.

With:
      Start with some of the best coffee and pastries around at Crema (SE 28th and Ankeny).

Head to Powell's books main store. Art annex and technical books are both within a few blocks of the main store. Take your new books to

the patio at Amnesia Brewpub (N Mississippi), get a bite to eat, try the Copacetic IPA, relax.

Swing by The Meadow across the street for one of the oddest and coolest collections of salts, peppercorns, chocolates and wines around.

Go get a simple espresso at Albina Press, consistent winners of national (and occasionally international) barista competitions. If you're not a coffee person, it's Portland, you need to learn.

Head up to the Japanese Garden: http://www.japanesegarden.com/

Depending on mood, get dinner at Le Pigeon (delicious and hectic), Biwa (laid back izakaya), or Wildwood (consistently very good northwestern food).

Finish the night at either Holocene or Douglas Fir Lounge. Neither place is classy or that great, but both will have a very representative Portland crowd and can be fun as long as you're not expecting much. Alternately, Green Dragon pub usually has a selection of a few dozen interesting beers, many of them local, and a great meet the brewer's night mid-week.

If by bike, I'm assuming you want to bike shorter distances than you would drive:
      Start with a coffee and pastry at Stumptown Cafe in downtown portland. This is one of about 7 outposts of the company that really got the artisanal coffee thing going, and nearly everyone in town serves their beans. The latte art is good, not on par with Crema, but very good. Same for the bakery.

Head to Powell's books main store. Art annex and technical books are both within a few blocks of the main store. Take your new books to

the patio at Amnesia Brewpub (N Mississippi), get a bite to eat, try the Copacetic IPA, relax. You have to go up one serious hill, but it'll get you ready to sit down.

Swing by The Meadow across the street for one of the oddest and coolest collections of salts, peppercorns, chocolates and wines around.

Go get a simple espresso at Albina Press, consistent winners of national (and occasionally international) barista competitions. If you're not a coffee person, it's Portland, you need to learn.

Get dinner at Le Pigeon (delicious and hectic), or Biwa (laid back izakaya).

Finish the night at either Holocene or Douglas Fir Lounge. Neither place is classy or that great, but both will have a very representative Portland crowd and can be fun as long as you're not expecting much. Alternately, Green Dragon pub usually has a selection of a few dozen interesting beers, many of them local, and a great meet the brewer's night mid-week.

Without the car you miss out on the excellent Japanese gardens, and Wildwood or Paley's Place become impractical, but it's still very easy.

I know this is a clothing forum, but there's just not a lot of clothes shopping to be done in Portland. You could check out Collier for the occasional great deal on basics, or Blake for denim, but you're better served enjoying the town, or even going out into the countryside.

EDIT: I might recommend Farm as a dinner alternative on the bike-route.
      Last edited by theetruscan; 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DHC
        • Jul 2007

/\Very nice! Makes me want to visit for a day. My cousin is doing some graduate work there so I just might have to check in with her.
        Unfortunately, Los Angeles doesn't work without a car.
        Start off in Venice on Abbot Kinney and stroll up to Main Street. Fall into The Library Alehouse on Main for some lunch and a pint. Walk it off in the cool ocean breeze as you soak up the warm Cali sun, maybe even stop by Chess Park to get a little mental workout in.
        Hop over to Barney's, Maxfield and HLNR to check out some threadz.
        Spend some time over at LACMA, be sure to check out BCAM.
        Drive over to Little Tokyo to explore or Amoeba to do some record hunting.
        Visit Blackman and Cruz for some really cool home furnishing pieces.
        Cocktails and stuffed rabbit at Grace.
        Originally posted by Faust
        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

Boston:

Everyone talks about Newbury for shopping (and it is great)...however, for a "Boston" experience, Charles street is the place:

Koo de Kir for cool homewares (www.koodekir.com)
          E. R. Butler for awesome home hardware, porcelin & unique jewelry (www.erbutler.com )
          Good for funky and cool gifts (www.shopatgood.com )
          Upper Crust for crisp thin crust pizza (www.theuppercrustpizzeria.com )
          The Ruby Door for antique jewelry...it's great place to look around(www.therubydoor.com )
          Savenor's...this gourmet grocery store is a gem and they carry a little of everying (www.savenorsmarket.com)

Lala Rokh for awesome middle eastern food ( www.lalarokh.com )...

There great cafes, restaurants and and bars along Charles street and around Beacon Hill...also through the neighborhood side streets is also fun.

Comment

• electric_alyce
            • Mar 2008

Oslo:

...not shure. Grab a cup of coffee and try to avoid the gypsie ladies. Not easy to find nice clothes, you could always try Steen & Strøm for some more "fashionish" clothes. There is a more highfashion shopping sentre opening soon, but for now, don't go to Oslo shopping for clothes. If you are in Oslo though, eat at Dinner, really nice!
            Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Purity
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by electric_alyce View Post
              Oslo:

...not shure. Grab a cup of coffee and try to avoid the gypsie ladies. Not easy to find nice clothes, you could always try Steen & Strøm for some more "fashionish" clothes. There is a more highfashion shopping sentre opening soon, but for now, don't go to Oslo shopping for clothes. If you are in Oslo though, eat at Dinner, really nice!
              Oslo isn't that dull

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                • May 2008

You got secret society in Oslo, there's something !

Comment

• Test
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                  Originally posted by electric_alyce View Post
                  Oslo:

...not shure. Grab a cup of coffee and try to avoid the gypsie ladies. Not easy to find nice clothes ... don't go to Oslo shopping for clothes.
                  This is a place to post things to do in a day as a local in your city.
                  Got it. Never go to Oslo. If anyone else lives in the Nordic regions I'd be interested to hear what's available.

Comment

• electric_alyce
                    • Mar 2008

I'm sorry for not making my post clear, as I thought this was more of a "where-to-shop"thread. I've only lived in Oslo for a year, but I absolutely adore the city! No, I wouldn't reccmomend it for shopping (yes, you got Secret Society, Freudian Kicks etc. but generally little... plus with the current currencies (heh) Norway is expensive). But as a city, Oslo is great. Check out the new Opera, as I said go eat at Dinner, Coffee at Shoebar is reccomended... So I wasn't trying to bad-mouth Oslo, shure - if you are looking for places to shop, both Copenhagen and Stockholm would be better.
                    Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                      • Mar 2007

Leaving for stockholm tomorrow, would love any suggestions!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TypicalFashion View Post
                        Leaving for stockholm tomorrow, would love any suggestions!
                        Best tea ever. I don't know much in terms of hanging out and shopping (there isn't much there) - I'd spend my time just walking around, because it's such a gorgeous city.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎