• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

cleaning

i guess the cleaning thread vanished
    my dry cleaner said that ring around the collar tends to stay in the fabric the longer it goes without cleaning and is also very difficult to get rid of
    anybody have a tricks up their sleeve/
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.
  • rocknrollnigger
    • Jan 2009

Original Cleaning Thread

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
      i guess the cleaning thread vanished
      my dry cleaner said that ring around the collar tends to stay in the fabric the longer it goes without cleaning and is also very difficult to get rid of
      anybody have a tricks up their sleeve/

It may sound weird, but dish soap (Dish soap has degreasing agents which help lift the oil residues off) is great for "grease" stains. Use a foaming bottle and apply to the neck area, rub gently and wash as you would normally. This also works great on salad dressing spills and butter stains.

Dish soap has degreasing agents which help lift the oil residues off

Comment

• KM80
        • Mar 2008

I've been hand washing a lot of shirts using dish detergent, seems to work good and I've heard it's the best way to wash sweaters and more delicate things.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

km80 any particular brand?
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• MikeN
            • Nov 2007

any tips on general cleaning of rick leather jackets?

Comment

• KM80
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
              km80 any particular brand?
              I've just been using this stuff called Method, liquid dish soap.

You might want to google about washing with detergents as there were some things to look out for, PH levels maybe? I've heard that Dawn is supposedly good. I've just been using this because it's what I had and it seems to work fine.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                any tips on general cleaning of rick leather jackets?
                I recall the man himself advices to throw it in the washing machine.. dont know if this will make the leather look a bit more washed out though? the more gentle diy method would probably include some detergant meant for leather or I've heard some use hand soap and a damp cloth. the safe way of course is taking it to a professional cleaner.

I dont have any personal experience with any of these, so maybe someone else can give better insight.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kira
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by KM80 View Post
                  I've just been using this stuff called Method, liquid dish soap.

You might want to google about washing with detergents as there were some things to look out for, PH levels maybe? I've heard that Dawn is supposedly good. I've just been using this because it's what I had and it seems to work fine.
                  Dawn is the best on collars and stains, hands down. Cover the spot after wearing, rub it in and let it sit for a day or two. Then, wash normally. For collars it will take a couple of times, but will make it much better. It depends on how long the collar stains have been there... Oil based stains are usually removed in one treatment. Stains are removed best when you treat them as soon after you get them as possible. (many years of working in restaurants and white shirts have proved this true)

For really tough stains there is this stuff called Carbona. But you use a tiny, tiny bit. I have only used it on cotton though.
                  Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                    I recall the man himself advices to throw it in the washing machine..
                    Hmmm... I'm going to let someone else try this first.

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

Wooly Wools

I just got an Ann D. boiled wool shirt but to my surprise it says DO NOT WASH, DRY CLEAN ONLY. Seems weird to me, if it's been boiled shouldn't it be fine in a gentle cycle? I really hate dry cleaners so I usually hand wash or use the delicate cycle for everything, but I don't want to ruin the character of the shirt. I've also got a crinkled silk burberry shirt, I'm not sure if it's OK to wash. My hunch is silk+water=not good, but I don't want a dry cleaner to get all the wrinkles out.

One more wool question, my Patrik Ervell "winter jeans" are cotton/wool and say not to wash. Anyone have experience washing wool blends? Kinda defeats the purpose of a "jean" if they have to be dry cleaned...

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                      Hmmm... I'm going to let someone else try this first.
                      music

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

For the burberry shirt, just tell the dry cleaners not to press it. I do that for a lot of my "distressed" garments. As for the jeans... well I either dry clean them, or don't wash them at all. I don't see the problem with dry cleaning jeans.

Comment

• reborn
                          • Aug 2008

From the US gov...

The Federal Trade Commission's Care Labeling Rule requires manufacturers and importers to attach care labels to textile clothing. The label must:
                          • Recommend one safe cleaning method be either washing or drycleaning (unless the garment cannot be safely washed or drycleaned, in which case the label must warn "Do not wash - Do not dryclean");
                          • Warn against any part of the recommended procedure that may harm the garment or other items cleaned with it;
                          • Warn if the recommended procedure must be modified
                          The wording of the regulation is pretty ambivalent: if a manufacturer feels conventionally cleaning will adversely affect the integrity of a garment, then they usually default to "dry clean only." However, that does not mean, conventional washing will harm the garment.

My best advice, if you are serious about not washing, get Dryel (available at most pharmacy/convenience stores). It's basically a dry clean at home kit (all you need is a dryer).

If you are willing to hand wash: wool and wool blends, silk, rayon, linen, etc. can be washed by hand. Use a very gentle soap (the stuff you would use to wash a baby), warm water and don't agitate (vigourously shake) the garment (it can cause shrikage). Let it soak, swirl around, soak, swirl, rinse, rinse. Pat dry with towels, and air dry. Some shrikage will occur. However, you can usually reshape the garment while it's drying (stretch out the shoulders, etc).

If you are totally skeptical, fork over the cash for dry cleaning...and be very specific about what you want (once I forgot to ask for my sweaters folded...they came back on hangers and it was not pretty).

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

Interesting, thanks Reborn.

I always suspected a lot of times designers default to "dry clean only" just so they're not liable. I have a lot of things that say dry clean only that I wash. I was just worried about the special character of a boiled wool shirt and wool blend pants (because I would never wash wool dress pants...).
                            music

Comment

i wash silk with ordinary hand soap. i just rub the soap bar gently on the stain and swirl and rinse, swirl and rinse. Then I put it on a towel, put another towel over and roll and squeeze a couple of times, and then i flat dry it. with wool i usually just attack stains and collar/cuffs/armpits. wool loses it's shape too easily and doesn't really need to be washed all that often. i've had a cardigan for 2 years which i haven't washed yet. i only steam it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎