• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
    I always suspected a lot of times designers default to "dry clean only" just so they're not liable. I have a lot of things that say dry clean only that I wash. I was just worried about the special character of a boiled wool shirt and wool blend pants (because I would never wash wool dress pants...).
    I think this is the case quite often. I'm using Rick Owens as an example again, but his knits and shirts pretty much always say do not wash as they are quite delicate and I assume they dont want people complaining about fraying etc caused by one of those dreadful american washing machines that looks like a cement mixer but most people still wash them with no problems.

I personally wash most delicate things by hand when needed. I think your boiled wool shirt should be fine with a hand wash if you use delicate detergant, preferably one meant for wools. the only possible problem I see is that water washing can cause slight fuzz on some wool garments, but you can get rid off it easily with one of those small lint removers. the wool blend really depends on the material and how its made, its hard to say but I'd guess probably the same as with the shirt.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mamaboy
      • Mar 2008

i just fucked up my montcler jacket---do not wash it yourself,like stupid me,even if label says its ok too wash...
      but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

if its the reguloar jersey cotton type, you could try to tumble dry it. might shrink a bit, but not necessarily a lot.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
          Yeah, stupid me managed to buy the wrong size in a drkshdw tee again. it's the normal cotton one, not the sheer. What I was wondering about is how could I shrink it safely? I'm not going back into town for a couple of weeks, and I could work use it a bit oversized. Allthough I needed M, and grabbed a xl ( was in a hurry).
          you might as well wait and return it for the right size, as that is a difference of about 6 inches, and im uncertain if it does shrink it will be that much..............
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• jumpoff
            • Jan 2008

Jersey cotton would not shrink more than a size so I agree with zamb, wait and return.

Comment

• sea of stitches
              • Oct 2006

for washing woolens (including blends), i use my handwash cycle and kookabura wool wash. it has lanolin and tea tree oil in it so you have to be OK with the smell, but it does not contain enzymes, phosphates, peroxide, or alkali. it makes my garments softer and "silkier."

Comment

• sea of stitches
                • Oct 2006

^thanks.
                i adore the few jurgi pieces that i own.

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

re: ring around the collar

i believe using shampoo helps

Comment

• triumphoftiredeyes
                    • Feb 2009

Pit Stains

Pit stains - I have a number of white shirts/t-shirts that have yellowed staining and can't seem to get them white again.

Debating on just dying them black or at least attempt dying them. The ring around the collar is pretty under control (dish soap).

I've been told that its a chemical reaction with sweat and deodorant. I try to not wear deodorant when wearing white shirts, but I have a tendency to sweat like a prostitute in court.

Thanks for any suggestions.
                    "Men are the dreams of shadows." - Pindar

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

getting those stains out is going to be tough... not sure how well the current cleaners out there work on it.

I used to get these pretty bad on my white tees. Switch deodorants to those without aluminum and your problem should all but go away.
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Bring The Noise
                        • Feb 2008

how do you guys clean your leather items? i.e. gloves and jackets

Comment

• reborn
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                          getting those stains out is going to be tough... not sure how well the current cleaners out there work on it.

I used to get these pretty bad on my white tees. Switch deodorants to those without aluminum and your problem should all but go away.
                          The Laundress has a treatment for those yellow pit stains.
                          Personally, I swear by Mrs. Meyers laundry products. My tees are softer and don't have pit residue after a regular wash...and MM is environmentally sound.

Comment

• Tyro
                            • Nov 2008

hey guys,

I have the washed lamb rick moto jacket. While the sleeves arent meant to be super tight, I have noticed that they have streched out a bit around the elbow. Would spraying hot water on the elbows / arms, then letting them dry tighten up the sleeves at all?

I figured since it is washed lambs leather the water wont damage the leather, but I want to avoid having it go hard and crispy!

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

If you switch deodorants to one without aluminum, then all it basically is is perfume for under your arms. Some people might be OK with that, but I don't want to sweat at all. I use Maxim roll-on, which is some mail order brand that my friend recommended. It's 20% aluminum, so I put it on the night before and the next day I shower and put on my normal deodorant (right guard or something). Then I don't sweat at all under normal circumstances. I used to sweat a lot but now I basically never do. However I guess if I do some activity which a normal person would sweat a lot during, I suppose I would sweat a little bit. I have some old white t-shirts that have yellowish stains by the pits, but they are only Hanes undershirts. I have some newer white shirts and they have yet to develop any stains, so who really knows.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

I suppose it really depends on the person, I sweat normally but I've never had even the slightest of stains because of it regardless of what deodorant I use.

nowadays I buy only ones with aluminium and talc, they work wonders on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎