Clear All
  • Dropt
    • May 2009

Thanks Shucks, I'll try that.

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dropt View Post
      Any experience with stretched out wool sweater? it stretched about one size after a handwash and I need this to shrink down…
      i wear a lot of wool/cashmere beanies and they will stretch out from wear over time. what i've found to work time and time again with minimal impact is to go over the item with a steamer, i use a handheld shark with purified water, and they return to their original shape every time. i am not saying this will work with your sweater as it's uniformly much larger but it's something to consider. hope this kind of helps!

Comment

• tigo
        • May 2009

Tips for linen fabrics? I have a lost&found linen tunic which I think is waxed/coated, found out when scratching my shoulders and some kind of residue was left on my fingers. Funnily, it left scratch marks.

So I decided to give it a wash, by hand in cold water, mild detergent, lightly kneaded it a bit, no wringing. Dried it on rack and now the fabric seems almost brittle and has a dry touch, though it does look more aged. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just wondering if I damaged the fabric. Been handwashing pretty much most of my stuff and even the delicates like silk and alpaca seem to hold up fine...except for this linen.

Comment

• en0rm
          • May 2010

Do any of you have experience washing Boris cotton/cashmere Basic t-s in the washing machine?

i would imagine on a cold temp setting without high rotation speed it would be fine (wool setting) ?

thanks for the help

Comment

• schuur
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by en0rm View Post
            Do any of you have experience washing Boris cotton/cashmere Basic t-s in the washing machine?

i would imagine on a cold temp setting without high rotation speed it would be fine (wool setting) ?

thanks for the help
            i cant help, sorry, but post results if you do go through with it please!

Comment

• dji
              • Feb 2008

I have 100% cotton and 50/50 cotton/modal off white Julius tees that have turned pink (the pure cotton one much more so) due to been washed with something red. would it be best to bleach them or use something like Rit colour remover instead?

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by dji View Post
                I have 100% cotton and 50/50 cotton/modal off white Julius tees that have turned pink (the pure cotton one much more so) due to been washed with something red. would it be best to bleach them or use something like Rit colour remover instead?
                The cotton one might be able to withstand heavy bleaching, but it might dissolve the modal blend pretty quickly.

I'm contemplating picking up some darks detergent from the Laundress (http://www.thelaundress.com/) as I'm not too keen on woolite dark. Maybe you could mail your stuff to them to clean?
                "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• dji
                  • Feb 2008

I did a couple of runs with the Rit colour remover, worked well enough for my purposes.

Comment

• mikko
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by en0rm View Post

thanks for the help
                    Have washed both Boris and Ann cotton/cashmere tops in our front-loading machine with the "Delicates/Silk 30°" program with great results.

Comment

• mikko
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
                      Any 100% cotton tops I have that have been stained or blemished I have machine dyed black. Only advice would be to check if the thread is natural or synthetic as only the former will dye. If you want to go that way, that is.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

I put my shirts in those mesh lingerie bags with the washing machine set on delicate, they turn out fine.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                          • Sep 2008

I noticed that some of my black clothes start to become more and more light, due to washing. I always wash my black clothes with delicate washing detergent on cold setting.

I was looking into alternative washing methods for black clothes and found some tips to wash with only salt and vinegar. Does someone have experience with this? I can't really imagine my clothes getting clean from that...

Comment

• kuriz
                            • Nov 2010

I'm experiencing that some of my t-shirt that are really TTS (sitting somewhat tight) get an absolutely horrible smell from the armpits after been worn for a few hours. I've tried handwashing some soap into the armpits before putting them into the washing machine but it makes barely any difference. Do any of you have this 'stinking' problem or is it just me? And have you got any good ideas to what I could do to it? I find it very difficult to discard t-shirts because of this

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                              • Sep 2008

What kind of deodorant do you use?

Comment

• kuriz
                                • Nov 2010

Interesting, haven't really thought about deodorants. But when it's weekday schooltime (and this is when I would use this particular deodorant and encounter the problem) I use a natural roll-on with antiperspirant. I don't think the problem occurs when using an oversized t-shirt though (haven't given it too much thought so I guess it's not much of a problem then).

You think this might be the problem, maybe I should try something else?
                                Last edited by kuriz; 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎