Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

Albert, you're on to something very special and unique. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this project of yours.

I like how your personality and unique point of view comes through in your work. The meticulous attention to details enforces the concept...
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Time & Space
      • Jan 2008

You have a great eye for detail, and the craftsmanship on those rings and bracelets are phenomenal! That elephant leather is just insane. I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to wearing elephant leather, but that is just me!

I am impressed by your eye, and clean lines, very impressive pieces-- I feel that you are going to be very successful with this line and future enterprises, you have the skills, touch and clearly the style.

I agree about the label though, it does not follow the level of sophistication as the pieces, better work on that..

I am envious of your talent...

Luc
      Last edited by Time & Space; 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM.
      "With all due respect to Jesus Christ, Elvis was the greatest philanthropist of all time" -- Elvis Impersonator

Comment

• therapysessions
        • Jul 2007

Albert, I think you did something that most designers fail to do, and that is combine their interests honestly to create something great. I love the fact that you've combined your medical knowledge to fashion, it creates a unique and interesting perspective to the idea of the clothes and the wearer. To use a cliché, it's like 2nd skin.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Thanks guys!

So the label design is getting mixed reviews... let me work on that a bit and see if I can come up with something ;)

I do think I have an "advantage" in the sense that I'm making clothes as an "outsider" to the clothing industry so I bring in a different perspective and approach. At the same time, plenty of designers get inspired from different things too which often results in a great season/product. My personal challenge will be to stay true to my science/medicine point of view while not allowing the designs themselves to stagnate...
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

haha, thanks NDF! I know that I have much to learn from the likes of Zamb. I'm eagerly awaiting what he has to tell me :)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• doldrums
              • Dec 2008

I'm a relative newbie here but for what its worth:

Really impressive that you made all these pieces on your own! The doctor's bag is what interests me the most and I like how you've transposed ideas from amadei et al in terms of 1-piece construction etc.

In terms of the tag, from an aesthetic perspective, it looks ok as a jagged line. I like the label name alot but not the font.

However from a medical perspective, I think the ECG tracing is really overused - I mean pretty much every doctor show on tv uses an ECG tracing and it doesn't suggest the inventiveness that it seems you are shooting for. The tag seems a good example for my real point: I think the medical/science standpoint is cool but it is also ridiculously ambitious in that its a really hard thing to pull off in a meaningful way (and given the work you've put in, its obvious you are not playing around here). The jacket/top cut to reflect nerve paths is also an interesting idea. Hopefully I'll see the garment at a high end store one day - when I do, I'll probably want something more than lines that reflect nerve paths. Know what I mean? So many labels claim an emphasis on anatomy from an aesthetic point of view as a founding principle...but that should be taken for granted. Some also claim an emphasis on tension points, claiming almost a basis in physiology (volga volga hints at this maybe?) which is something else entirely. There is tons of research/money into this kind of stuff apparent at any sporting goods store...Nike and Under Armor do loads of research and have (apparently) made garments that aid with muscle kinetics. I'm not sure if I've ever seen fashion executed well in that regard but I do like it when pieces suggest something without hitting you over the head with it. CCP's jointed pieces make me think about it and my own body's construction and they become almost living dead things etc etc. The designs aren't hit me over the head obvious but are so effective. I think well executed doctor bags or the scarfs are great but i would want the concept pushed further than that as well.

Regardless of how *your* designs reflect your medical background, as a hopeful future customer I would want them to go deeper than nerve lines, doctor bags, and challenge me a bit in addition to looking cool (which they do). I bet you know how one of the lamest things in art is seeing someone just paint a straight up histology slide and pass it off to apparently blow someone's mind. Thinking back to college, there were a few art profs that did "science art" and their shit sucked and everyone knew it. In terms of clothing examples, while I didnt care for the Linea piece that followed muscles, I did like the cdiem bag based on an embryo...concept was strong, execution was awesome. Similarly, I know that I did really enjoy experiencing Eliasson or Turrell or Robert Erwin's art dealing with perception and science.

I am in awe of your single-handed execution.
              I really love your rough concept. Maybe is why I would want it to not fall into the trap of being a framed histo slide. SZ beloved labels don't typically set such a limit. Carpe Diem set its own limits over time and maybe in some ways thats why it eventually became too difficult. This concept sets its own limits from the get go and in order to consider it one day on the same stage as the heavy hitters it would need to deliver in that promise I think. This is certainly a really great first iteration though.

I'm narcd up at the moment (prescription pain pills ) which I blame my lower threshold to post without more reservation but hopefully this makes any sense and was of any use (if even to disregard and make your own ideas more apparent). The hospital is certainly chock full of inspiration for sure...

Comment

• Sergei_S
                • Jan 2008

A brilliant start my friend! My Anna says it's awesome! I'm speechless to be honest
                I got weapons

Comment

• Sergei_S
                  • Jan 2008

TO get myself clearer:

FUCKIN' AMAZING!!!

I want messenger bag right now!!!! And the rings and the t-shirt and the jacket
                  I got weapons

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

hahaha thanks guys!

Doldrums, thanks for taking the time to write all of that! I'm evolving and pushing the anatomical concept slowly. It'll be a long time coming before I am anywhere near Altieri's level. I love that "embryo" leather bag. It's so next level to say the least!

The logo I'll work on some. It's true that the EKG is quite used/overused in the medical realm for branding and such but with a good amount of thought, I felt that it was standout when applied to clothing. As for the font... well, microsoft office only provides so many ;)

These things will evolve as time goes by.

I'd like to think that I interpreted vascular flow/skin tension (which hasn't really been explored as it's not that well known to the general public) in a non-traditional way but I hear what you're saying. Pushing the concept further is always better but things must build on other things so I think down the line it will perhaps be more what you are imagining. By constructing these pieces that I dream up and sketch and develop I can ultimately take inspiration from the pieces I have already developed and take them to a further abstraction.

I got some other ideas in mind and as things come, I'll add them here :)

Comment

• bestial
                      • Jun 2008

I also have to add to the on going cheers, these are great pieces, and I'm looking forward to see more. I see the rings and medical bag as my favourites, but the concept on the shirts is interesting and the thermatic feature is cool! I don't mind the logo, nothing spectacular, but I like how the red pops.

Wouldn't mind a pm with a pricelist :)

Comment

• jj.still
                        • Dec 2006

Great work Albert.
                        Love the rings, dark tees and doctore bag
                        could you pm me the price list?

Comment

• Chim
                          • Dec 2006

Guys, I go to the same school as Albert and I've had the opportunity to preview and feel these materials and look first hand at the construction. Believe me when I say that these pieces from Collateral are absolutely phenomenal. The construction and quality is second to none - I own and enjoy various Rick, Carpe, Cloak pieces etc. and these absolutely match up to the best in my line up. The bags from Collateral are of superb quality and very functional. I've been able to actually feel and compare a MA+ tee to a Collateral one, and the Collateral one definitely holds it own. I am honestly astounded that such quality work is being produced here in San Antonio Texas.... but there you are =P

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

thanks for the comparisons chim
                            merz, which piece do you own?
                            i'm hoping to i get a chance to handle some of this doctor's sickness (sorry, a retarded pun) v soon...

join in the chorus guys...come to nyc albert, come to nyc albert...
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

hahaha, thanks guys from the bottom of my heart. You all have been amazing through all this!

Merz actually owns two pieces ;)

P, I'm gonna try to make it to the city sometime this summer. Got a board exam coming up at the beginning of summer that is serious bidniz. After that is freedom!

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                                hahaha, thanks guys from the bottom of my heart. You all have been amazing through all this!

Merz actually owns two pieces ;)

P, I'm gonna try to make it to the city sometime this summer. Got a board exam coming up at the beginning of summer that is serious bidniz. After that is freedom!
                                Done and done?
                                Wow! Good luck and congrats at the same time!
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎