X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

Going! To Barcelona/Berlin

Wanted to announce that I'll be going (permanently, hopefully, godwilling and shit...) to Europe in April. I'm aiming for a Barcelona final destination but contacts in Berlin make it a pretty good option.

I really don't know much about Barcelona besides very little second-hand info. I'm basing my decision on the fact that: a) getting out of Vancouver would be grand; and b) lived for 6 months in Barcelona, Venezuela when I was 4.

And so, I would very much appreciate more second-hand info. My life is in your hands. Hell, if you had any suggestions/connections for what I could do for work (experience: managing a clothing store.) I would appreciate that as well.

Bestest Regards.
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

What do you want to know about Barcelona? I could help but wireartist presently lives there I think so he probably has up to date info...
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Jon
      • Apr 2008

I wanted to add: I'll be hopping around Europe for a little while before settling down, starting off with a few days in Paris.

Fuuma, I'd appreciate recommendations for where to look for an apartment and if there are any requirements for renting, recommendations for any (online) resources or a local paper I could browse, maybe what part of town you'd recommend staying. Advice on general life on a budget there. Anything that I should stay the hell away from... maybe a head's up on anything that might come as a culture shock, too. This is my first trip to continental Europe, so general travelling advice would be very welcome, also.
      perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Are your debit/CC PINs 4 digits?

Comment

• Jon
          • Apr 2008

yes... should they not be?

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            yes... should they not be?
            No it's fine if you're set up that way. Do you have a chip in your CC?

I used friends for apt. and I like the old city near plaza catalunya but now the prices have supposedly risen a lot.

You speak spanish? (considering your nick I'd say yes). Learn some catalan just to be polite, they love that stuff.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

good call on the pin #. I got screwed when i went to china with my 6 digit one (i know... i'm a moron to have it that long anyways).

Definitely hit up WireArtist... if you're looking for food though, many of the top restaurants in the world are right there or at least in the same country ;)

I'd hit: El Bulli, Arzak, Etxebarri... and that would just be the beginning.

Envious of your traveling. Berlin brings back fond memories. you'll love it all!
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

I'm going to Barcelona right after Paris fashion week... March 13th thru 20th, so I would also love to hear some suggestions!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Jon, I think you should go to Darklands when you are in Berlin.

And yea, get a card with smart chip - I had so many problems with my stone age american credit cards.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
                    • Apr 2008

Thanks for the suggestions and all. As far as banking goes, I don't use credit cards and I won't have access to my current bank account in Europe, so I'll have to figure something out. Like carrying a bag full of gold and hoping it don't get taken by the gypsies...

Chinorlz, I am dying to eat all the food! but... no cc = very strict money management until I get settled with a job.

Fuuma, yes, I speak Spanish, but learning Catalan hadn't crossed my mind... I'll definitely learn some.

As for Berlin, I have quite a few more useful contacts there, including Darklands. It's kinda like: Barcelona is plan A (climate, language) and Berlin is plan B (cheap, culture).

I have some pretty good experience in fashion and I'm building up my portfolio, so I believe the next step is being in the right place, at the right time...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Be sure to stop by Ulf's and Siegfried's (Harvey's Berlin) while in town!
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Catfood
                        • Oct 2008

There is a shop called Santa Eulalia on Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona that stocks Ann, CDG, Margiela, Dior Homme and lanvin.

They had a decent selection of the above mentioned stuff last time I was there, but the main part of the shop was full of the more conservative brands they stock. Definitely worth a look though, looks like the shop has had a makeover since last time I was there too.

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

Yay I'm here, give me more suggestions plz.

Comment

• Tombo
                            • Mar 2009

Go to Doshaburi ,owned by a pair of wonderfull japanese ppl../if not for the clothes then at least for the staff(their VERY friendly)...
                            ..N when your tummy starts to go grr hit BornCooking(american diner/cafe takeout shöp)....

Great moneySaving tippp:Ppl just leave their old clothes,furniture etc on the street...it's all up for grabs(same goes for some areas when u get to Berlin too)...I really had good use of than when I came to barcelona with nothing than a mattres and a lamp.
                            FS:Jackets=Raf Simons ss08,Dior Homme fw07(PM for details n pics)

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Anyone remember the name of the place where they make mediterranean sushis? Must be one of the only sushi place in Barca, he should go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎