X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Pens and Caps - fucking epic. I just like saying Pens. Any NYC SZers into hockey and screaming at the TV?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• doldrums
      • Dec 2008

Agreed - pens vs. caps is gonna be really great to watch.

Finals prediction: pens vs. red wings

Comment

• jamesd
        • Sep 2008

Pens-Caps should be great, don't really care who wins. Just too bad it isn't the East final: Bruins-Hurricanes matchup has little interest in it for me.
        In the West, the Canucks are looking strong and I think Anaheim can push Detroit.

Comment

• editevening
          • Nov 2008

i would love to see an original 6 final that doesn't involve detroit... so Chi vs Boston
          #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• doldrums
            • Dec 2008

pens - caps series has been pretty good so far. Crosby and Ovechkin both with hattricks tonight...insane. Gotta say - Crosby seems like the ridiculously hard working guy who works on an aspect of his game each season and gets amazing systematically. He says next offseason will be shooting. If so, I hope he took notes from Ovechkin tonight...I've never seen anyone with a release like that and at this point dude takes games over like Lemieux.

Comment

• editevening
              • Nov 2008

ya im dyin over here not being able to get a live feed. online sources have been shithouse, but from what highlights i've seen the pens really need malkin to start doin shit. As much as the canadian in me wants crosby to go farther, i'd much prefer the caps to battle boston in the east.
              #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by editevening View Post
                ya im dyin over here not being able to get a live feed. online sources have been shithouse, but from what highlights i've seen the pens really need malkin to start doin shit. As much as the canadian in me wants crosby to go farther, i'd much prefer the caps to battle boston in the east.
                I didnt catch the game, but I saw that malkin stepped it up in game 3, so i guess your prayers have been answered. I just can't like crosby, Ovechkin is so much more exciting of a player to me. I would love to see a wings vs. caps final. Wings better step it up tonight, and the ref better lay of the whistle.

Comment

• doldrums
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rocknrollnigger View Post
                  ... I just can't like crosby, Ovechkin is so much more exciting of a player to me....
                  we are on opposite sides of the hockey sensibilities spectrum then. Ovechkin is a defensively irresponsible, undiscipined clown with an incredible shot. He is essentially the opposite of Crosby. His shot comes from his knees. Funny then that he took out Gonchar's knee tonight. In the league I grew up with, that hit would have merited at least 5min and game ejection if not a suspension as well. Funny also how many hits he has had (reviewed ad nauseam on television slo mo) where he leaves his feet. Back in the day a clown like this would have lost his knee a long time ago. Its a good thing maybe that that kind of payback is no longer everyday. However, if the NHL doesn't address his cheap hits and general irresponsibility, then it will remain bush league.

Ovechkin - wearing Julius jeans? I have a feeling his career is gonna resemble Lindros'.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                    we are on opposite sides of the hockey sensibilities spectrum then. Ovechkin is a defensively irresponsible, undiscipined clown with an incredible shot. He is essentially the opposite of Crosby. His shot comes from his knees. Funny then that he took out Gonchar's knee tonight. In the league I grew up with, that hit would have merited at least 5min and game ejection if not a suspension as well. Funny also how many hits he has had (reviewed ad nauseam on television slo mo) where he leaves his feet. Back in the day a clown like this would have lost his knee a long time ago. Its a good thing maybe that that kind of payback is no longer everyday. However, if the NHL doesn't address his cheap hits and general irresponsibility, then it will remain bush league.

Ovechkin - wearing Julius jeans? I have a feeling his career is gonna resemble Lindros'.
                    I don't disagree in that how ovey' runs his life is a bit of a show, but its exciting to me. Crosby is trying to hard to be the next gretzky in the way he acts. Thats fine, but he is so mid level manager about it, that it bores me. I love Ovechkins aggressiveness. He def. is not the only player who is guilty of leaving his feet during a check...cough kronwall..cough. I dislike how the rule changes have changed some of the physicality in hockey and miss the old fighting days, tho some don't care for it. I have always cared for russian players over their western counterparts that is for sure (have played against them/respect them). It's weird because most europeans don't bring as much physicality in the sport as ovechkin its more of a us/canada machismo (used to be anyways).

When it comes down to it, I guess I would party with Ovechkin rather than stay at home with crosby.

Comment

• doldrums
                      • Dec 2008

Off ice personality is one thing - but seriously do you think we get an actual glimpse of their personalities from interviews? Its the on-ice aspect. I've had a chance to watch this whole series and dude saunters around completely out of position and stresses his defense just so he can take 3 strides and run someone often illegally (Gonchar's season apparently over now). Leaving the ice is one thing and knee on knee is another. I just can't get into his game and, given his style of play, I doubt he has a long career. Malkin in the last game was more exciting than anything I've seen Ovechkin do.

Comment

• jamesd
                        • Sep 2008

I think Ovechkin is clearly the most consistently exciting player in hockey by far, which is a good thing because the league, if it is capable of attracting new fans, needs a player like him to do so. His style of play remind me a lot of Manny Ramirez (though in a different sport): very one-dimensional, but that one dimension is sensational and simply draws people in.

I hope they are not similar on another issue.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                          • Jan 2009

haha, not the best time to bring up manram.

It sucks for Gonchar, but it's playoffs and injury's happen wether it be from stupid hits or a clean hit. Hockey is all about getting banged up, and who can play at the end of the season. This sports not basketball or something. Knee on Knee happens some times, bad hits come from physical play from time to time. If you think Malkin is more exciting, i suggest you watch an ovey highlight real. I don't think we will agree on this, personally my favorite player is datsyuk. If he has a short career, well most rock stars do too.

Comment

• doldrums
                            • Dec 2008

Agree with you on Datsyuk. Agree to disagree on Ovechkin (I've seen many a highlight reel). For his sake, I hope the NHL reigns his recklessness in and enforces the rules/attempts to maintain consistency in its suspensions. Otherwise, I'd bet he is a faint memory a few years from now (even in this new league).

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jamesd View Post
                              I think Ovechkin is clearly the most consistently exciting player in hockey by far, which is a good thing because the league, if it is capable of attracting new fans, needs a player like him to do so. His style of play remind me a lot of Manny Ramirez (though in a different sport): very one-dimensional, but that one dimension is sensational and simply draws people in.

I hope they are not similar on another issue.
                              Bingo. Show me the last player who ignited a sport like this, especially hockey. Hockey needs him, it's more than about one player. Doldrums, I don't doubt your expertise, but I must side with the others - Ovechkin is simply exciting player - you can see charisma poring out of him when he's on the ice. And Crosby is starting to take that workhorse approach that is just not as exciting. And I don't know why - he is an amazing player. Look at the recent game where both had hat-tricks - compare Ovie's goals from those incredible wrist shots using defensmen as screens and bullet one-timers and Crosby's tuck-it-in-at-the-goal line bores.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Spencer
                                • Feb 2007

Here's my 2 cents as a NON-hockey fan. Maybe its because I'm a local, but I've been finding myself watching hockey lately simply because of Ovechkin. I've even thought about going to one of these playoff games to see what he can do in person, since people that do like hockey tell me how amazing it is in person.

And I've seen more hockey highlights on Sportscenter recently (compared to years past) because of him than any other player. No doubt. He's great for the game and that's all there is to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎