Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doldrums
    • Dec 2008

Not sure but maybe my comments were misunderstood - I'm not debating whether he is exciting and great for the sport. There is no question there at all and there is no question he is MVP this year as well. I was just saying that, for me, his style of play - the defensive irresponsibility, taking strides and running people, sticking out knees, going for heads - while certainly exciting, is not something I like watching. Also, it doesn't make for a long career so I was hoping that the NHL reign in his wrecklessness (detroit play by play guys spent time on this during the game today as well) for the sake of the player and for the league itself.

Shit, I get excited watching a good defensive defenseman and a solid stick check so I'm probably not the one to talk but - I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin any day if I had the choice. When TSN asked the same question to all the NHL GMs last year, 15 of them felt the same way so its not simply because I'm boring. Crosby's game a few days ago where he poked in those 3 goal line goals is part of the reason why - he has the complete 3 zone game, has amazing vision and playmaking ability, PLAYS GREAT DEFENSE, and takes what the opposing team gives him. If the caps hadn't shut down the neutral zone and Varlamov looked beatable, he would have had more exciting goals but instead took what was given and popped in goals at the goal line out of mid air. I wasn't a huge Crosby fan last year but I am now. I agree he needs to stop appearing so level headed in interviews though...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ Spoken like a true North American hockey player ;-). It's a different sport in Europe.

And Ovechkin is a far cry from Lindros - that guy was a serious douchebag. It's not like Ovechkin knees people right and left - he's not Avery - accidents do happen. I feel bad for Gonchar though - my favorite defenseman.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• editevening
        • Nov 2008

i'm a fan of all 3 (although malkin the least, i never was a big jagr fan) and they each are totally different style players.

I agree Ovechkin can be a liability defensively but at the same time his offensive output easily makes up for it. He's leading the post season in points and is a +8. When someone that offensively dangerous is on the ice it definitely affects the mindset of the opponents, which is usually their checking line.
        As for the Gonchar hit, I didn't see that as being knee on knee at all. You can clearly see him leaning with his right shoulder forward. If he stuck his knee out then his right shoulder and arm would be sticking out.

As for Crosby, ya he is a great playmaker and a workhorse but I'd much prefer to watch Ovechkin than Crosby... this is coming from a Canadian too. His whole baby persona gets on my nerves after awhile.
        #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• editevening
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
          Shit, I get excited watching a good defensive defenseman and a solid stick check so I'm probably not the one to talk but - I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin any day if I had the choice. When TSN asked the same question to all the NHL GMs last year, 15 of them felt the same way so its not simply because I'm boring. .
          I can agree with this. Crosby makes players around him better, while Ovy is very much a one-man wrecking crew.
          #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
            • Jan 2009

Tonight should be epic with the pens vs caps on at 7ish eastern! Sucks cause I have to miss some of it, to go to BFA thesis film screenings : (

A lot of teams going to game seven will make for an interesting time, though I wish the wings were out of the woods.

Comment

• doldrums
              • Dec 2008

Didn't miss much of a game. Pens broke Varlamov and after outshooting the Caps 2:1 for most of the series actually blew it wide open. This time, AO's failure to backcheck and play responsibly cost his team as he was directly involved in 3 goals that were obvious on tv. Sorry guys, I just don't buy this guy as someone who can lead a team anywhere. Maybe if they sign some real character on to that club but with AO and Green (injured or not) leading and playing the sell my team out style, the latter supposedly a defenseman, then...I do like Steckel though and Backstrom will be good even if he is charmin soft...

Comment

• jamesd
                • Sep 2008

Nice! Detroit-Chicago should be very interesting.

At least last night's games made up for Pens-Caps. I'll be rooting hard for a Blackhawks-Penguins series, but I fear it will be a repeat of last year, which might be OK, but it's a repeat.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                  • Jan 2009

Todays a good day, LVR comes up with 2 goals on the AnnD. and rick buy hopefully Wings will win and make it a hat trick of a day. Anyways yeah watch the game.

Comment

• homi
                    • Nov 2007

im really rooting for the pens its time for a changing of the guard in the NHL
                    THIRD LOOKS : http://www.thirdlooks.com
                    Internet Fame http://www.internet-fame.com

Comment

• doldrums
                      • Dec 2008

wish i bet on this one. have been lucky this year - predicted the steelers and penguins (on SZ!) before the playoffs started, won my college b-ball pool...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

awesome game yesterday.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          awesome game yesterday.
                          Yes, it lived up to game 7 billing. Did anyone see exactly how Crosby "snubbed" the Wings? I missed it. Did he really not go out and do the hand shake?

Comment

• Marko
                            • Jul 2009

So this is quite an old thread. Anyone else watching the playoffs this year?

Comment

• Phantom
                              • Mar 2011

i pretty much watch every rangers game. i think they will go far in the cup. sick game against caps with 6 periods.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Sometimes I wonder what it is that made me follow sports passionately. Boredom? Desire to belong? Access to cable TV?
                                I still watch highest level of soccer and a little football, but kinda gave up on hockey.

GO RANGERS!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎