Clear All
  • sinnedk
    Banned
    • Dec 2011

is the new guidi line out yet?

Comment

• copacetic
      • Nov 2010

you didn't hear? guidi went out of business. they won't make any shoes ever again.

the owner, dominico guidi, died of tuberculosis.
      And "When the prince has gathered about him
      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• sinnedk
        Banned
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
        you didn't hear? guidi went out of business. they won't make any shoes ever again.

oh man thats horrible i hope other companies where their owners die dont go out of business, isnt there a contingency plan for that, what will happen if obama dies? is the usa out of business?

domenico guidi = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domenico_Guidi

Comment

• fashiondisaster
          • May 2011

Originally posted by copacetic View Post

Really sad this joke ... jokes on people's lives to talk about shoes seem so pathetic...
          SEEKING SELECTIVE REASERCH

Comment

• Karura
            • Feb 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know if it will be hard to clean and maintain the light grey reversed stag sidezip Guidi that's at Atelier?

I am thinking of getting these as my go-to boots, but maybe I should reconsider.

Also, what difference does having a toe-cap make?

Comment

• sinnedk
              Banned
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Karura View Post
              Hi,

Does anyone know if it will be hard to clean and maintain the light grey reversed stag sidezip Guidi that's at Atelier?

I am thinking of getting these as my go-to boots, but maybe I should reconsider.

i think as long as you use suede protector you should be good

Comment

• pseudonym
                • Jun 2009

The toe cap will keep the front of the boot in shape. Without, they have the tendency to cave in a bit on the toe area since the leather is fairly thin and supple. This 'caving' does not always look bad, as usually it forms into the wrinkles that naturally form just above the toe box. It just depends on what kind of look you want from your boots.

Comment

• sinnedk
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pseudonym View Post
                  The toe cap will keep the front of the boot in shape. Without, they have the tendency to cave in a bit on the toe area since the leather is fairly thin and supple. This 'caving' does not always look bad, as usually it forms into the wrinkles that naturally form just above the toe box. It just depends on what kind of look you want from your boots.
                  i have seen the toe-capless guidi take form of one's toes

Comment

• SlightRight
                    • Mar 2011

Does Guidi use Cordovan for derbies?
                    How's the aging of Guidi Cordovan?
                    THX

Comment

• pseudonym
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by sinnedk View Post
                      i have seen the toe-capless guidi take form of one's toes
                      Heres an older pair of mine. Didn't really take the form of my toes, but definitely extended the wrinkles to the very tip. These are sheep-skin.

Originally posted by SlightRight View Post
                      Does Guidi use Cordovan for derbies?
                      How's the aging of Guidi Cordovan?
                      THX
                      Yes, Guidi derbies come in cordovan. Their cordovan in general breaks in much quicker than counterparts such as A1923. Also, they are NOT pre wrinkled/scrunched, so the wear creases are actually authentic.

Comment

• SlightRight
                        • Mar 2011

Thx p, is cordovan softer or stiffer than normal guidi horse leather?
                        Would u think is it comfortable to wear without socks in cordovan?

Originally posted by pseudonym View Post
                        Heres an older pair of mine. Didn't really take the form of my toes, but definitely extended the wrinkles to the very tip. These are sheep-skin.

Yes, Guidi derbies come in cordovan. Their cordovan in general breaks in much quicker than counterparts such as A1923. Also, they are NOT pre wrinkled/scrunched, so the wear creases are actually authentic.

Comment

• pseudonym
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by SlightRight View Post
                          Thx p, is cordovan softer or stiffer than normal guidi horse leather?
                          Would u think is it comfortable to wear without socks in cordovan?
                          Depends on whether you are comparing regular leather with reversed, how thick the leather used is, and if they are lined. Kinda stating the obvious I guess. In my experience, no Guidi leather that I have tried is so stiff that it is uncomfortable, and most times the horse leather types tend to be the most stiff. Of the horse & cordovan types, I have found reversed to be the most comfortable even on the first wear.

As far as wearing without socks, I have only done that a few times with Donkey leather Guidi derbies. That was plenty comfortable so I would imagine not too much difference in horse or cordovan, especially if you have them broken in slightly already.

Why would you not get Kangaroo derbies if you want to wear them without socks? They are super lightweight and comfortable.

Comment

• Karura
                            • Feb 2012

I did some research and found out that cordovan 998 backzips exist, but cannot be ordered anymore. I am thinking of getting a custom order down, and since cordovan is not an option, would kangaroo be the best choice if I want comfort/durability and nice aged looks?

Also, has anyone compared 988s (s for small) with 988? Would 988s be too tight to comfortably fit pants inside for someone with big calves? Thanks for the informative responses pseudonym!

Comment

• surver
                              • Oct 2007

have no experience w guidi, but am contemplating buying a pair of their classic derbies... can someone clarify how their toe area is like? from pics they look like they're 'soft'? how are their fit/comfort as compared to augustas or layer-0? thx

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

I did some research and found out that cordovan 998 backzips exist, but cannot be ordered anymore. I am thinking of getting a custom order down, and since cordovan is not an option, would kangaroo be the best choice if I want comfort/durability and nice aged looks?

Also, has anyone compared 988s (s for small) with 988? Would 988s be too tight to comfortably fit pants inside for someone with big calves? Thanks for the informative responses pseudonym!
                                I believe Guidi's "Horse" is the same as cordovan, but I might be mistaken. Either way, their horse is incredible. You should read through the rest of the thread...there is lengthy discussion on this.

Originally posted by surver View Post
                                have no experience w guidi, but am contemplating buying a pair of their classic derbies... can someone clarify how their toe area is like? from pics they look like they're 'soft'? how are their fit/comfort as compared to augustas or layer-0? thx
                                They come both soft & hard...depends on the model. Inquire with the retailer before ordering if you have a preference. Again, much discussion in this thread on the subject.
                                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎