X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thecoretic
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Brother Stasi View Post
    I hate to actually say anything good about CSM (I being a big believer in knowing how to make things rather than just drawing pretty images...oh and that the cost of school shouldn't determine it's value...)
    Actually have an interview for the BA Womenswear on Tuesday at CSM.My portfolio is mostly geared towards a development of themes through 4 objects under 4 different definitions ..its what irish colleges love and has got me into all of them so far(Its very arty in terms of material I use)
    Im just adding my design notebook so it has a fashion element(at least they will see I can sew) , making it very non-fashion might be detrimental for me - but im just giving them an honest portfolio.

I think its too late to inundate this section with advice requests . If they like it great . If not - oh well.

Comment

• Brother Stasi
      • Feb 2008

^^^ Well best of luck you to you.

And I don't actually hate CSM, I'm just sick of my flatmate going on and on about how it is the best school ever and blah blah blah. Ok fine fine you did one semester there and had a great time, but what are you comparing it to again? Oh yeah some fashion program in Virgina....

Let us know how the interview goes!!

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

thecoretic:

good luck i hope you don't have a problem that is well known csm give out places immediately so often they fill up
        my fear is despite you having your review their may be no places actually left
        this is what has happened in previous cases so you could actually be the best but it still doesn't matter because the ship has sailed already no places left and this i know happened in menswear this year. My current tutor informed me of this yesterday, the menswear course filled all its places on Monday the 20th despite the still looked people folios until wednesday the 29th for menswear.

This is appauling in my opinion but it is the way they work, i am just trying to pre warn you.

Comment

• thecoretic
          • Apr 2009

Snafu,Iv heard of that but strictly in regards to international students.Womenswear closed application on international students over a month ago.
          I thought i was safe being a 'home' student though.At least I wont get my hopes up + getting your letter 6 days before interview = expensive plane ticket(even worse its a bank holiday).

On a more optimistic note:I have a really good place already + people who get accepted may deffer places/dont meet educational requirements - which i assume,opens up places ?

Do they do a waiting list type set up in CSM ?

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

no well i dont think csm do waiting lists or deffered entrys basically csm is first come first serve basis
            i know espcially after travel costs etc you might want to call and check but i know they had filled up the menswear course and still they were allowing menswear portfolio reviews with home students despite all the places already been given out, i dont think this information was ment to leak out but it has and to be honest it hasn't gone down too well

Comment

• asis
              • Dec 2008

this is all that route a and b thing no? i remember its easier to get on the BA if you did the foundation at CSM and everything is done by quota

st m's is a good school but i think it is better if you already have technical skills and keep learning them through night courses etc. they concentrate on doing one thing and they do it very well, (which is not to say you dont learn technical skills there its just not the biggest part) St ms doesn't really teach you anything but learn an incredible amount, its more self motivated learning. its the enviroment, resources and competitiveness that make it work. most of all its the level of work that you are expected to produce, if your work is shit they will tell you its shit... there is a very fast and steep learning curve there.

also it worth noting that the college will be moving to new buildings in kings cross in 2011 not sure ifs its a good thing but it will mean that all pathways will be in the same place.(fashion is only one part of the whole art school)

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by asis View Post
                this is all that route a and b thing no? i remember its easier to get on the BA if you did the foundation at CSM and everything is done by quota

st m's is a good school but i think it is better if you already have technical skills and keep learning them through night courses etc. they concentrate on doing one thing and they do it very well, (which is not to say you dont learn technical skills there its just not the biggest part) St ms doesn't really teach you anything but learn an incredible amount, its more self motivated learning. its the enviroment, resources and competitiveness that make it work. most of all its the level of work that you are expected to produce, if your work is shit they will tell you its shit... there is a very fast and steep learning curve there.

also it worth noting that the college will be moving to new buildings in kings cross in 2011 not sure ifs its a good thing but it will mean that all pathways will be in the same place.(fashion is only one part of the whole art school)
                that is exactly what i found when i was studying. You have to be very self motivated! The tutors can only teach you so much,the rest is up to you.
                You have to be extremely passionate about your work,and be preapred to put the hours in.
                What i found most inspiring was working in groups with friends from other courses such as jewellery,photography etc etc.
                It is great for bouncing ideas off each other and getting another perspective on things....and ofcourse you ask them for little favours like photoshoots,and jewellery accesories.
                Im still very close with a lot of my friends from that time at uni and to this day we are still (when ever possible) working alongside each other and continuously inspiring each other.
                So school is def a good way to go if just for these reasons alone...and by all means get as much work exp as you can while studying as it will make a whole lot easier when your out looking for work,and ofcourse it will broaden your knowledge of how the industry works.
                merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• thecoretic
                  • Apr 2009

[QUOTE=snafu;144197]thecoretic:

good luck i hope you don't have a problem that is well known csm give out places immediately so often they fill up
                  my fear is despite you having your review their may be no places actually left
                  QUOTE]

Im pretty sure thats what happened for 2 reasons
                  .big crowd for portfolios with me , 0 got interviews + last day of portfolio reviews/

I just hope some of the ppl with me arent naive enough to think they will get a place .its pretty much unheard of to get accepted without an interview .

Il continue where I am now and apply reaallly early for 2010.

Comment

• eat me
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                    that is exactly what i found when i was studying. You have to be very self motivated! The tutors can only teach you so much,the rest is up to you.
                    So school is def a good way to go if just for these reasons alone...and by all means get as much work exp as you can while studying as it will make a whole lot easier when your out looking for work,and ofcourse it will broaden your knowledge of how the industry works.
                    So true. I'm currently doing a menswear degree in LDN in one of these nice schools, and so far I can tell you - all the people going on about how 'college is a simple way, i know how to design, i know how to do patterns, better learn everything on your own' etc. - just have no idea why you actually need college.

Sure, you learn how to cut, sew, design, etc. But you would be surprised how little of actual guidance and teaching there is. More importantly, in a well-known college you are being constantly pushed, constantly under the pressure of the competition from people sitting next to you.

What might look like a cool concept for you, might look just like an underdeveloped parody of your favorite designer to your tutor, who will say to you 'right, lovely start, but in no way you are finished, go do another 60 designs from the ones you just made'. That's why you see so many collections by DIY designers that are kind of slightly altered versions of each other - no one is there for them to push them just that one bit more.

So in the end - education really just saves you time. Unless have been sewing & designing since 10, that is :).

Comment

• runyoko
                      • Aug 2015

Fashion Schools

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a really long time, and I figured this would be a really good place to ask for some opinions/experiences with fashion schools.

Previously I studied in Graphic Design, and while I regretted not taking up Fashion instead, it was a pretty cool experience, and that led me to photography and designing Cycling Jerseys with custom camouflage.

Finally done with conscription and while I've been reading a ton about Fashion Schools around the globe, I've been really confused about which ones really deserve the general rankings. Other than the consistently top few which I would probably have to rob a bank to fund my education in, the rest are pretty much in the grey area, I would be really grateful for any help or experiences with the universities.

I'm really interested in technical outerwear, stuff along the line of ACG & works of Errolson Hugh.

Thank you for your time, and If anyone could share their opinions & experiences with Fashion Schools (preferably taught in English) thank you so much in advance as well!

If anything, you can find me on instagram @runyoko

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

^ Business of Fashion just added and education section with their own school rankings:

From my experience at FIT, there was definitely a strong focus on sportswear/ ready-to-wear, which might be up your alley. Not to mention the amount of designers in NYC, that you could intern for whilst attending, that would be a good match for what you want to do. You'll learn so much more from interning that I really think positioning yourself in a city that has designers you'd like to intern for can be just as important as the school itself, if not more so.
                        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• tornaremavencer
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by TRSltd View Post
                          [BTW, anybody know, has Boris Bidjan studying anywere?]
                          Yes, Boris did a year or two in one of the schools in Barcelona and he dropped out being angry at the school, not going to mention its name not to give it publicity it doesn't deserve.

Comment

• runyoko
                            • Aug 2015

Thank you Ahimsa, the BoF page has been really useful !!

Pretty glad to see RMIT on their rankings, have been considering that as my brother resides in Melbourne. Guess it's either FIT or RMIT now, though I would love to attend FIT so much more... living costs ugh

Comment

• grahamtende
                              • Apr 2019

I need the best advice i can get from someone who has passed through fashion School and all that, I’m currently studying architecture and aspire to be a fashion designer and create my own fashion brand, but with no experience in sewing or anything fahion related, i want to know what’s best for me, wether to learn the basic sewing techniques and pattern making then applying for internships or actually going to fashion school for my masters degree(or even starting afresh from a bachelor degree). Please I’ll be really glad to know what you think is best for me from your point of view.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I haven't been to fashion school, but I can tell you that you don't only go to school to learn, especially for a masters. You go to acquire a network of people that may later on support you, to have a chance to show your work to industry people, to take advantage of the school's work placement office, etc. The myth of the lone genius is just that - a myth. For every Rick Owens there are a thousand people who accomplished nothing.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎