Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swami
    • Jul 2008

Anyone have nice images of CaixaForum in Madrid. Herzog & de Meuron are probably my favorite of the famous set.

Comment

• rogelro
      • Mar 2008

better than pics, video!

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/gjCsxU70FQ%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="266" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Comment

• asho
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wire.artist
        It's interesting to see how the more comercial designers aren't very popular in here, but when talking about architecture it's completely different, let's say that libeskind is not the equivalent of Elbaz, Yohji, Rei, Junya, Poell and the like. He's more Prada like, his early work (drawings) is interesting though.

The best architecture is rarely known by outsiders I believe. I'll try to post some from time to time.
        from a Spaniard's perspective, what do you think of RCR?

Sigurd Lewerentz has probably been my greatest inspiration. as for any designer, an architect needs to have a special connection with his chosen material/s. to me Lewerentz embodies this... zumthor too, not in the best mindset to brainstorm so i would love to know any architects who would fit this model.

pics later

Comment

• swych
          • May 2008

Caixaforum is extremely good as an urban device but extremely boring as amuseum concept. It's a beautiful object...
          Well, thats HdM cosmetics for u...

I'm surprised to see Caixaforum and Zaha here in the forum actually. It's established that Zeitgeist has a particular brand of aesthetic; how would this translate into architecture? Does Zaha esque smooth, glossy sinuous curves seem out of place to you (plural) in this forum?

Comment

• swych
            • May 2008

not saying they are at all. i'm talking about a certain 'aesthetic'. i for one am sick of zaha.

I think that the manifesto (which i like alot) suggests a broader range of conversations than what actually happens. I don't think that there's anything wrong with it, but there is a certain zeitgeist lens through which any topic is discussed. There is definitely a certain philosophy/ aesthetic to the appreciated things here in zeitgeist

The critique of Jeffrey Kipnis of HdM is spot on I think in his article 'the cunning of cosmetics', and very in line with my opinion of them. From my observation of Zeitgeist and the obsession with construction and process, I'd have thought the architecture that we appreciate would be more tectonic is all. (kipnis here: http://www.kt3d.com/pratt/sp09/thesi...0Cosmetics.pdf)

So maybe in architecture aesthetic might not be the right word... more like what 'qualities' do you appreciate in architecture? vitra fire station to guggenheim bilbao to burj dubai to chapel of st ignatius to maison du verre are all 'quality', but in vastly different ways. What do we like here?

ps, it is for these reasons i selected zumthor and scarpa as the architects i posted. zumthor for 'materiality', scarpa for the 'joint'. these are two subjects that interest me alot especially in the cross over to fashion.

Comment

• asho
              • Nov 2007

RCR are interesting imo, their approach to landscape work is sharp.

thanks for bringing back Lewerentz...so good
              Asplund (of course hehe), some early enric miralles, alejandro de la sota... might interest you

Caixaforum is extremely good as an urban device but extremely boring as amuseum concept. It's a beautiful object...
              That vineyard RCR did is some of the best landscape work I have seen

Comment

• asho
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by swych View Post
                Well, thats HdM cosmetics for u...

I'm surprised to see Caixaforum and Zaha here in the forum actually. It's established that Zeitgeist has a particular brand of aesthetic; how would this translate into architecture? Does Zaha esque smooth, glossy sinuous curves seem out of place to you (plural) in this forum?
                hussein chalayan

Comment

• DamageX
                  • Dec 2008

The front page states "but feel free to post anything" So I'm assuming Zaha is okay to place in this thread. Nothing wrong with smooth curves every now and then

Comment

• deleuze
                    • Jul 2007

Zaha Hadid? Isn't she a shoe designer?

Comment

• rogelro
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                      Zaha Hadid? Isn't she a shoe designer?
                      lol no thats just a one time thing for her I think

well maybe not, her new collaboration

Comment

• swych
                        • May 2008

you'll have to enlighten me wire...

i've come across this building in various history of arch survey classes in the past, but have never understood the signifance entirely.

i've seen delightful spaces inside, and it essentially tries to be a building symbiotically sited in the landscape. To that end, it's probably one of the better buildings- i especially appreciate the scale of hte windows and roofs in relation the trees beyond in the ifrst picture, and how this massive cluster of bulidings are broken down by different windows.

For me, the problem arises in the last two pictures, where i question 'what is a barnyard doing on a cliff?' the landscape makes the site super challenging to work with. first you have a rolling hill that rises up to a little prairie with trees, but on the other end, you have crashing waves. it works great without the water feature i think.

reminds me of this:

tolo house, siza

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

^ thats pretty sick.

random scan:

Kyoto International Conference Center
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• reborn
                            • Aug 2008

I drove past the MIT Gehry building this afternoon and thought it was worth posting here...it's fun and it reminds of old movie sets for German Expressionist films (think Dr. Caligari):

Last edited by reborn; 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

as much of an inefficient and faulty building it is, it was fun to walk through and watch being constructed. The inside is neat and almost whimsical in some section/rooms. I used to study inside there.
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• swych
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                                ^ thats pretty sick.

random scan:

Kyoto International Conference Center
                                nice mike lowrey, it's like church of the water x citta nuova! you got any more info on it?

church on the water, hokkaido, tadao ando

citta nuova, sketch, antonio sant'elia

Last edited by swych; 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎