Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior WAYLT...where are you living today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Here is a sampling of some of my space from the past year or so. I've been painting for the past few months so there are paintings laying around everywhere right now.

Past winter:

Summer:

Dining area:

The gimp I keep:

The ghost I keep:

Outside in:
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

That's an awesome place, beardown. I usually stay away from these iconic modernist pieces, because they are becoming banal, but they really work in your place.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

beardown and mona, jealousy is a feeling i do not have very often, but I am definetely jealous now.

beardown, the choice of furniture classics is nearly unbeatable and could only be topped by some Mies v.d. Rohe or Le Corbusier chairs.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
          Mona, the furniture choice is excellent

I wish I had a client with your taste someday..
          Agree, once i had a client who wanted a "minimalistic style" house, so i put an emphasis on the purity/quality of materials and functionality of the spaces, he obviously didn't understand the term and just wanted big windows, wood floors and concrete walls. A couple of weeks after i delivered the complete house i went to take some pics (the house was already furnished without my help), so i found a mix of typical mexican hacienda stuff with some grandma touches, a little japanese here and a little house of horrors over there. Also one of the most expensive details, a double height concrete wall was almost all cover in familiar pics.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
            • Sep 2006

Mona really like that you are a person with great taste in your living, in the way you dress and the way you articulate/express your ideas. It's one of the reasons i like to be here, to be with people not only interested in the way they look but that really live in an coherent environment.

Beardown, as an architect, i found your house not only interesting but inspirational, you understand your space and your needs and traslate that in a full way of living, you are a potential architect.

Comment

• munch
              • Aug 2008

this pic makes me all warm... I love it!

Comment

• mw000
                • Jan 2009

Great place Mona.

Love the living room with the Noguchi table

Beardown you have a sweet place. Really like the retro feel with the Eame's fiberglass chairs in orange

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

Thanks for the input, guys.
                  My place does have potential to become a cold, sterile environment and that's one of the things I took into consideration when putting the interior together.
                  I wanted to keep it warm looking and used warm oranges and reds that pick up all the light that comes through the windows. So even in the dead of winter (second pic), it still keeps a really warm ambient light throughout the house.

And it's definitely not for everyone...there are only 2 doors in the whole interior of my house (bathrooms) so it's very open. instead, I've got 'wings' that branch off of the main room shown here with some strategically placed walls for privacy. And I knew when I bought this house that if I ever had a kid I'd likely have to sell it. Fortunately for me, I like the house probably more than I would like having a kid.
                  (Half-joking but not all the way joking).

I don't spend a whole lot of time in the main room...so I could afford to keep the furniture a little sterile and stark. Overall, I've had pieces that were downright uncomfortable that I got rid of because if I can't sit comfortably on something, I won't use it and it just gets in the way.

Almost everything in the house was either purchased on Ebay and the smaller stuff came from Ikea. I'll never be the kind of guy who will drop $5,000 on a table at DWR (design within reach) because I can't justify it (or afford it) so I what I ended up with was more of a design project assembled over a matter of a few years, slowly. I do have an Eames case study storage unit that was built into the floor of the house and some George Nelson lighting and that Saarinen table but overall, I didn't spend too much on any one piece.

The home definitely feels like an extension of myself but not in a creepy way. Only in so much that if I didn't really love something about it, I'd change it. I've spent much of the summer working on the roof so it's a labor of love even when it's work that's not fun at all.
                  Originally posted by mizzar
                  Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                    Thanks for the input, guys.
                    My place does have potential to become a cold, sterile environment and that's one of the things I took into consideration when putting the interior together.
                    I wanted to keep it warm looking and used warm oranges and reds that pick up all the light that comes through the windows. So even in the dead of winter (second pic), it still keeps a really warm ambient light throughout the house.

And it's definitely not for everyone...there are only 2 doors in the whole interior of my house (bathrooms) so it's very open. instead, I've got 'wings' that branch off of the main room shown here with some strategically placed walls for privacy. And I knew when I bought this house that if I ever had a kid I'd likely have to sell it. Fortunately for me, I like the house probably more than I would like having a kid.
                    (Half-joking but not all the way joking).

I don't spend a whole lot of time in the main room...so I could afford to keep the furniture a little sterile and stark. Overall, I've had pieces that were downright uncomfortable that I got rid of because if I can't sit comfortably on something, I won't use it and it just gets in the way.

Almost everything in the house was either purchased on Ebay and the smaller stuff came from Ikea. I'll never be the kind of guy who will drop $5,000 on a table at DWR (design without reach) because I can't justify it (or afford it) so I what I ended up with was more of a design project assembled over a matter of a few years, slowly. I do have an Eames case study storage unit that was built into the floor of the house and some George Nelson lighting and that Saarinen table but overall, I didn't spend too much on any one piece.

The home definitely feels like an extension of myself but not in a creepy way. Only in so much that if I didn't really love something about it, I'd change it. I've spent much of the summer working on the roof so it's a labor of love even when it's work that's not fun at all.
                    Fixed.

I'm on a fixing spree.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

monadahl and beardown: could I have a "full body shot" of your places?

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

Thanks Enaml & gsamsa...I look forward to posting up some more pictures in the future...I have some painting projects in mind and some things I want to frame...it'll probably take me a while though.

Mona, your place looks so relaxing...I can just see myself spacing out in there on a rainy day, taking a bubble bath, reading on the couch, etc...forgetting that the rest of the world exists.
                        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• comedyzen
                          • May 2009

Mona/Beardowm...your place is just OK in my eyes. Great start, perhaps one day your places will look like mine. Look and learn....then Enjoy.

First, the stairway that leads to my bachelor's pad. Being on the 2nd floor makes my place much safer than either of your 1st floor entrance dwellings.

I am very "green" and am for the whole use and reuse. This is a pic of my floor. I bet at first glance you thought this was aged white oak. HA!! This is actually a bunch of samples of vinyl held together. Please note that the scotch tape used to hold down my floor is CFC free...no trees were killed for floor covering.

Next we move to my living/dining/bed/den/gym/family room. I don't like walls...makes me claustrophobic. Again, I apply the use/reuse mindset. The bed was found outside on the curb and the vintage red oak cabinet (circa. 1988) came with the place. Do you like my Dieter Rams-style microwave?

I really like the industrial look. That is why I chose to have all the pipes, pumps, and plumbing exposed like this. Do you like my floating sink?

Nothing better than sitting your bare bottom on douglas fir and scotch tape (the same cfc free). Instead of tossing this seat and feeding up landfill I just taped it upwhen it started to splinter, and yes, same cfc free tape.

Finally, a pic of my environmentally friendly cooling unit. Unfortunately I have to lock it up at night because strange people try to go through there while I sleep.

Dear SZ people...please remember, jealousy gets you nowhere. Again, Bear/Mona.....your places will hopefully one day be as rad as my pad.
                          Last edited by comedyzen; 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• dolochov
                            • Aug 2009

hilarious but where is the $20000 closet?

Comment

• tomatous
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

Floating sink is brilliant.

Comment

• doldrums
                                • Dec 2008

amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X