• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classique
    • Apr 2008

Classical Music

This thread is exclusively written for the discussion of "Classical Music."

(500 A.D. - Present)

I understand 1,500 years of music is overwhelming for the average contemporary person, not interestes via: Misconception or Intimidation. So, I will introduce a basic guide; Outlining composers by style, initially.

My criteria is simple: Important, popular or my personal favorites. A brief description or opinion will accompany the songs selected. Followed by highlights, fairly representing the artists' repetoir; And a 'Youtube,' Link.

Initiation...

Stylezeitgeist keywords: Minimalist, modern and aesthetical.

"The silence of being."

Arvo Pärt - Years Active (1957 - Present) - Classical Movement (Minimalist)

"Fratres."

A composition you may remember from the feature film "There Will Be Blood." This is the standard "Violin and Piano," version; There are seven prominent variations.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Classique
    • Apr 2008

[Continuation]

"Canctus in Memory of Benjamin Britten."

P.E.R.F.E.C.T.

"Spiegel Im Spiegel."

Rough translation = Mirror In Mirror

John Cage - Years Active (1932 - 1992) - Classical Movement (Contemporary, Avant-Garde)

"In a Landscape."

"In One of his best-known and most sonically intriguing innovations, the prepared piano, had become an almost commonplace compositional resource by the end of the twentieth century. Years before the invention of the synthesizer." Beautiful & accessible.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"Water Walk"

I do not recommend this work; But, I promised a "Fair representation." Controversial music as performance "Art," extracted from anything that can produce a sound.

John Cage performing "Water Walk" in January, 1960 on the popular TV show I've Got A Secret.via WFMU:http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/04/john_cage_on_a_.ht...

Comment

• Classique
      • Apr 2008

Now, a dramatic shift from "Modern," to "Post-Romantic."

Harmonically and formally more aggressive than the "Romantic," period; Music is dissonant.

The musical equivalent of: Dostoevsky & Tolstoy.

Dmitry Shostakovich - Years Active (1915 - 1975)

"Symphony #5."

Political censorship, prosecution, war, freedom, unconditional patriotism... Excellent music.

"Cello Concerto."

My favorite cello concerto; Better than Bach?

Cello Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major, Op. 107I. AllegrettoII. ModeratoIII. CadenzaIV. Allegro con motoComposer: Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975)Performer: Mst...

Sergey Prokofiev - Years Active (1896 - 1952)

"Romeo & Juliet."

A ballet, in four acts. This popular video clip is from the scene "Dance of the Knights." I am not fond of the masterful, cliché Tchaikovsky ballets; Prokofiev's brooding romance is balanced by the beauty heard throught the notes. The grandest ballet, listen after reading Shakespeare's play.

[To Be Continued...]
      Last edited by Classique; 04-29-2009, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• Classique
        • Apr 2008

Impressionism: "A late-19th-century / early-20th-century style of musical composition in which lush harmonies, subtle rhythms, and unusual tonal colors are used to evoke moods and impressions."

Maurice Ravel - Years Active (1888 - 1932)

"Bolero."

A single, monotonal snare drum transforms; To an orchestra. An awry "Cirque du Soleil," like interpretation.

Part I

Part II

"Gaspard de la Nuit."

Piano: "Subtitled 'Three Poems after Aloysius Bertrand,' is inspired by same-titled 1842 collection of medieval tales, which author claimed were whispered to him in the night by the devil, Gaspard. Each section prefaced as one of the poems; No doubt the same macabre streak led Ravel to spend many nights absorbed in the stories of Edgar Allen Poe. Responsible for the composer's attraction to Bertrand's rather dark work."

Part II of III - 'Le Gibet.'

Comment

• Classique
          • Apr 2008

Romantics

Giacomo Puccini - Years Active (1876 - 1923)

"He wrote in the verismo style, a counterpart to the movement of Realism in literature and a trend that favored subjects and characters from everyday life for opera."

"Madame Butterfly."

"Turandot."

Richard Wagner - Years Active (1828 - 1880)

"His aesthetic is perhaps the most grandiose that Western music has ever known."

"The Ring of Nibelung."

A 15 hour epic masterpiece. This is the immortal "Ride of the Valkyries."

The Ride of the Valkyries, by Richard Wagner, in a classic recording with Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Vienna Philharmonic. Illustrations are by Arthur Rackha...

Comment

• Classique
            • Apr 2008

I will commence a chronological list; And recommend, basic, full-lenght recordings... After this last post.

If you like: Metal / Darkware music, Baudelaire, Bataille, or simply express love for Picasso's 'Guernica.'

Cerebral anguish, slaughter, philosophy...

Krzysztof Penderecki - Years Active (1953 - Present)

"Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima."

Comment

• crz
              • Apr 2008

thanks for posting these..enjoyed listening
              ..please post more from the Romantic period!

Comment

• Magician
                • Jul 2008

No Rachmaninoff yet!?

Thanks for a nice resource though, I look forward to checking out some of these composers.
                Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• josef_k
                  • Jul 2008

Classique, you dropped some serious shit there man, hell yeah I prefer shostakovich before bach any day (to my cello teacher's discontent, she frickin' loves bach).

Shostakovich reminded me of Aram Khatchaturian. I always experience a lot of nostalgia permeated throughout his works, in my opinion. But folk influences always get to me anyway hah.
                  For more information on the artist visit:http://www.PejmanEditions.comhttp://www.pejmanArt.comhttp://www.PejmanGallery.comTags: Bob Pejman Art, Bob Pejman A...

Also check out Spartacus and Gayane, I'm sure that you've all heard the sabre dance.

Everyone should check out the composers that were affected by the Zhdanov Doctrine, somebody should drop some Stravinsky right now, :)

Comment

• Classique
                    • Apr 2008

Expect, Rachmaninov & Stravinsky :)

Bach's, first six, cello suites are so important; And sound so divine. It was almost impossible, for me to favor the Shostakovich.

Khachaturian's iconic 'Sabre Dance!"
                    Fellini's "8 1/2," The Simpsons.

This roots-rock rendition is so sly...

Love, vintage, Fender Jazz guitars.

Comment

• Classique
                      • Apr 2008

Chronological, Initiation.

Classical Movement (Medieval)

(500 A.D - 1500 A.D.)

Briefly, nothing important. Basic, religious psalms and chansons. Mostly, anonymous "Manuscripts [Sheet Music.]" My, personal favorite "Late-Medieval," composer Johannes Ockeghem is fine at best.

However, i will highlight a song from these manuscripts that is essential & modern. The "Often mutilated..."

"Carmina Burana."

Transcribed for chorus & orchestra by Carl Orf (1935).

As, for CD recommendations. Trust the record labels: Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, EMI, Harmonica Mundi, RCA, Sony & Naxos. Amazon.com reviews are usually accurate. And do not stress too much on selecting a specific composer / performer[s]. If the reviews are fine and it's a post-1965 recording, go for it.

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Where is casem, he'd appreciated this thread. Nice work classique, I'll check the links out over the weekend.
                        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Classique
                          • Apr 2008

Renaissance - Pre-Baroque (1500 - 1640)

John Dowland - Years Active (1592 - 1622)

"In Darkness let Me Dwell."

Ellen Hargis, soprano; Jacob Heringman, lute; Mary Springfels, viol; from CD "A Candle in the Dark"

"Can She Excuse My Wrongs?"

John Dowland (1563-1626)From The First Book of Songs or Ayres (1597)Can she excuse my wrongs?(author anonymous - music setting by J. Dowland)Can she excuse m...

Claude Monteverdi - Years Active (1585 - 1642)

Monteverdi is credited for the transition: Renaissance - Baroque. His music is nothing special, IMO.

Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber - Years Active (1663 - 1700)

"Requiem a 15."

"Rosary Sonatas."

click link for Stereo soundhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdwKledgv_o&fmt=18Rosary Sonatas - The AnnunciationPatrick Bismuth, baroque violinEnsemble La Tempe...

&

Biber Rosary Sonata XIV Assumption of the Virgin 2nd mov.Andrew Manze, violiRichard Egarr, organHarmonia Mundi

Comment

• Classique
                            • Apr 2008

Baroque: "Marked by elaborate ornamentation," & counterpoint.

(1640 - 1750)

Henry Purcell - Years Active (1667 - 1669)

"Dido And Aeneas."

1:31... Specially.

Antonio Vivaldi - Years Active (1705 - 1740)

"The Four Seasons."

+

[To be continued w/ Bach]

Comment

• josef_k
                              • Jul 2008

I love this thread, but I miss some minimalists.

steve reich
                              Trailer for GVSU New Music Ensemble album, "Music for 18 Musicians". Full quality video at newmusicensemble.org or innova.mu

I always come to think of what arvo pärt once said; "Silence is the pause in me when I am near to God." The silence in between every chord in this piece really gets to me.

First time I heard it I got captivated by it's psychoacoustic character, didn't really sound like anything I'd heard before.

Someone should do Béla Bartók

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎