Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Raf Simons

Default Raf Simons

For rorschach and pnod.

Closer - FW 03/04

Everything I used to love about Raf

Unparalleled tailoring (in my book even Poell doesn't come close to what Raf used to do back then). Amazing knitwear. Interesting cultural references. I believe the shearlings were never produced because they were too expensive.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Pnod or anyone else, do you know what's on the back of that dress shirt? I almost bought it back then - now I think I should have.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Spring Summer 02 - possibly my most favorite menswear collection ever. It was so fresh and anti-fashion (for lack of a better word) that I instantly connected. Note, this was shown before 9/11, so any possibly negative references are incidental. BTW, I am still looking for that white army belt...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Pnod, that's the sweater I have that I mentioned the other day.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

FW 01/02 - first collection after Raf took a season off thinking whether he should continue designing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Pnod or anyone else, do you know what's on the back of that dress shirt? I almost bought it back then - now I think I should have.
    still refers to the album released after ian's death...the one with the circled f that has been mistaken for Factory Records

im not sure what the symbols are below because i cant make them out but you should have gotten that. i saw a sweatshirt version once and it was ok, but the dress shirt is dope.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Those last 2 collections where also my all time favourites from Raf.
    I just started university,and was doing research when i came across them.
    So powerful in his execution for the shows,and the feeling of anarchy!
    These and some Helmut collections where my biggest inspirations at the time...
    Thankyou for digging these up and posting!
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Quote Originally Posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
    These and some Helmut collections where my biggest inspirations at the time...
    Thankyou for digging these up and posting!
    Actually, when I read the discussion which sparked this thread (forget which thread it was in... Edit: Raf Simons Watch of course), I thought we should have a Hall of Fame for collections, some late HL, early RAF, Hedi DH, Ann - just a SZ waybackmachine of the best of the best... Then again, that might become too big a task. Still, worth it?
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeuys View Post
    Actually, when I read the discussion which sparked this thread (forget which thread it was in... Edit: Raf Simons Watch of course), I thought we should have a Hall of Fame for collections, some late HL, early RAF, Hedi DH, Ann - just a SZ waybackmachine of the best of the best... Then again, that might become too big a task. Still, worth it?
    Mine are right here

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Spring Summer 03 - Consumed. I still have trouble with fashion designers making statements about consumerism, but this seemed like a good effort.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Spring Summer 04 - the Siddhartha collection. My first disappointment - none of the elements I loved about his work were there - lots of sweatshirts and sweatpants instead. I know it's supposed to be all eerie and Buddhist, but it just did not deliver for me. I tried to pick the more redeeming images.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

\/ look whom I found

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

i always thought i was alone in thinking s/s 04 was a weak link among his 'early' collections

thanks for posting these images Faust!

i really like the knit and the coat. the coat is currently on y! but in black

BTW, I am still looking for that white army belt...
    dunno what size it is, but you can ask, plus there is best offer. i posted it before in the good finds a long time ago and apparently it's still available

wow.. thanks faust - this archive is awesome. It's sad to see such great work in comparison with what raf has been outputting in recent seasons.

Re: shearlings - those are so bad ass. i'm not a big shearling guy but the volume + the rounded shoulders give them this silhouette and drape that's just so freaking cool. i can imagine that you really feel like you are ready to kick old man winter in the ass when you put one of those things on. too bad they werent produced.

Re: S/S 2002 - I remember seeing a lot of this for the first time in Seven when they were on Orchard and having my mind blown. Like many others I was into the hedi-era dior and this raf collection really shook things up for me when i saw them in person. resonated with the aesthetics from my days as a hardcore punk youth but still fresh and provocative - not a straight rip of a subculture's uniform.

Yea, I had the same reaction. If I had more dough, I'd buy more stuff at Barneys. I did not know of Seven's existence back then. I loved their old space though - not so keen on the new one (and the hipster friendly lineup).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

thanks for the pics, great clothes

all this before I started getting into clothes and design...the sentence coming right before the f/w 01-02 was particularly poignant.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

those 02/03 bondage pants are a grail-like object for me. had to settle for a pair of helmut's as i got sniped on the raf on ebay ages ago.