X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

Despite huge success, the star designer is walking away from his post as Creative Director for Christian Dior.

leaving dior now, while coming it would seem.

Comment

• patR
      • Apr 2015

Raf speaks with Cathy Horyn on the speed of fashion:

Before he announced his exit from Dior, Raf Simons spoke to Cathy Horyn for a piece that appeared in System magazine. Today, BoF brings you an exclusive excerpt of that conversation, revealing the designers thoughts on the speed of fashion.

"Fashion became pop. I can’t make up my mind if that’s a good or a bad thing. The only thing I know is that it used to be elitist. And I don’t know if one should be ashamed or not to admit that maybe it was nicer when it was more elitist, not for everybody. Now high fashion is for everybody."

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I also liked this quote

"Everything is so easily accessible, and because of that you don’t make a lot of effort anymore. When we were young, you had to make up your mind to investigate something — because it took time. You really had to search and dig deep. Now if something interests you, one second later, you can have it. And also one second later you also drop it."
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• underdog
          • Aug 2009

Quote makes me think of a young Rodney Mullen - growing up in a small town in Florida, knowing the best skateboarders in the world are in California and only seeing slight glimpses in hard to find magazines. He was very self disciplined and trained relentlessly before taking a trip to a contest in California. From the first moment he arrived he was by far the best in the world for over a decade simply because he didn't really know or see what was on the other side of the wall and became the most innovative person in skateboarding history. Phenomenons like this are completely lost to the world now and it is a detriment.

Comment

• Defender
            Banned
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            If any of you are interested (I am not), they made a documentary, Dior and I, about Raf's making of the first Dior haute couture collection.
            I just watched this last night on Netflix.

I have never been a big Raf fan, but after watching this movie, and seeing him cry over a fabric print and how well it looked on a girl walking the show, I've reallllllllllllly got a soft spot for him now.

He is a true artist who is passionate about his work on a level to which I aspire, and I have to respect that. It actually makes me want to buy into his designs.

As a separate aside, it was interesting to see him so openly ripping off other artists for his designs (Sterling Ruby paintings turned into fabrics) and his show decorations (Jeff Koons' flower covered puppy for the walls of the first couture show). Everyone knows art is stealing the best parts of the culture around you and synthesizing it into your own work to move the culture forward, but it was refreshing that they let it be documented as a blatant incorporation without reference into his show.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Uhm, Sterling Ruby was a collaboration. Don't see how that's ripping off?
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Defender
                Banned
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                Uhm, Sterling Ruby was a collaboration. Don't see how that's ripping off?
                In the movie they show him going to a museum, seeing the piece, having people print off a large copy on paper, wrapping it around a woman, and then having people make a fabric out of it. They never showed him contacting the artist or making a licensing agreement or anything like that. Maybe they did, but they didn't show it, and I don't follow Raf, so I didn't know.

The point that artists distill the work of other artists stands, I suppose, regardless of whether there was an official collaboration.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Dude, are you on drugs today or what?

You don't know Raf, don't know people close to him - you make bombastic statements based on "documentary" scenes. Jesus. How do you know they did not contact the artist? Just because they don't show it? How do you know that the art they used is even copyrighted?

I know for a fact, for example, that when Raf used a musician's piece in a Dior show, they paid a licensing fee.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Vogue
                    Nothing connected to anything that is now," said Raf Simons. "This has been nine years in the making," he added of the show he presented tonight with artist Sterling Ruby. That's how long the two have been friends[...]
                    Taken from Vogue.

This means they must´ve known each other since 2005, way before Raf’s debut at Dior.
                    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Defender
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2015

Honestly, whether he knows him or made a deal is irrelevant. If he's using another man's art for a print on a dress...that's one artist taking the work of another and using it in his own. That's all I was saying. I called it "ripping off" because that's what it is...there are a lot of people who might see the dress and not know that there is a connection between the artists...but that's how art works. All I was saying is that it was nice to see one artist using another as inspiration in two distinct applications.

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. What I write here isn't fucking gospel that needs to be read through like the Torah and studied for inaccuracies and misinterpretations. It's just chatting on a fucking message board about a movie I saw last night.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                        • Nov 2014

It would´ve been "ripping off" if Raf had imitated Sterling’s paintings or emulated them without telling him. He used the artwork on different media, it´s more like a remix. So of course it’s relevant if they talked about it/made a deal whatsoever.

It makes it harder for people to understand what you want to say if you use a word but mean something different.
                        "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                        -Paris Hilton

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                          • Sep 2013

I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• Mar 2009

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                            Honestly, whether he knows him or made a deal is irrelevant. If he's using another man's art for a print on a dress...that's one artist taking the work of another and using it in his own.
                            They've known each other for a while, now. Sterling even designed one or store for Raf in Japan, almost ten years ago.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                              I called it "ripping off" because that's what it is...
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• bukka
                                • Sep 2011

Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎