X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deleuze
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by galia View Post
    I admit, as much as I love paris I have to sort of agree with that. I think it's more a question of affinity, but oddly enough I feel Brussels is much prettier than Paris, but less vibrant.
    Totally agree with this, Brussels will forever be my second home. There's a magic about the place that Paris never captured for me.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

were you high, deleuze?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        were you high, deleuze?
        Nah, but I must admit it always rains when I'm in Paris so maybe that puts a damper on things.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

just checking. i find brussels unmemorable. i'll take antwerp over it any time.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            just checking. i find brussels unmemorable. i'll take antwerp over it any time.
            I've been all over Flanders but for whatever reason have never passed through Antwerp. I'll be going in November for a week and am really looking forward to it.

Comment

• qnc.hst
              • Oct 2007

Heh, I remember there being a thread here that asked everyone to write up a summary of things to do in your town, should any SZ members find themselves there... I actually drafted something that started getting kind of long, and then thought... wait... who's gonna be coming to Madison, WI on this board ever? But I'll poke my head in here amongst you megalopolis dwellers to give my 2 cents...

I do like living here quite a bit, though that certainly flips back and forth. It is notable that I am writing this in late spring. Wouldn't be saying the same in mid-February at all.

While I certainly understand the appeals of larger cities that have a greater cultural center, I've found myself enjoying what this town *does* have to offer. Lots of good food, even better beer, plenty of intelligent people thanks to the large university (and by the same token quite a few self-righteous pricks, natch)... I just started biking again, the first time I've ridden in the almost 10 years I've been here and I just can't believe I put it off so long, the town is so great for it... and yes, it's quiet and sleepy and midwestern, but that suits me for the most part. I come from an even quieter, sleepier, more midwestern spot that is one of the most remote little areas in this grand nation of ours, and it takes me a bit longer to digest and process things than most, so I appreciate the space to let me loll about a bit in my constant semi-coma.

Obviously I then rely on the internet as a resource on a lot of global action, hence my presence and inability to contribute much on this forum, so I think my ability to stay fairly happy here is hugely a product of the times. I guess my outlook on things is that I tend to enjoy the fact that there ARE these thriving centers out there, somewhere, but I'm not terribly driven to attempt to crowd my way into them.

And I do want to try getting out and trying something else at some point, just have to start planning some time. The burden of midwest "aw-shucks" authenticity (SO MANY ALT-COUNTRY BANDS), the burgeoning hippy "culture" and the sever winter onslaught can indeed chafe a bit. My plan is to get out before the accent affixes itself and renders me incapable of extended travel outside the heartland region...
              I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

^ hehehe

During my middle school years I lived in Fond Du Lac :)
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• qnc.hst
                  • Oct 2007

Really? Wow... y'know Albert, taking your posts as a whole here I've always been fairly blown away with the sheer amount of stuff you've accomplished and then I get jealous when I get reminded that we're the same age... and you even beat me to "escaping Wisconsin". Damn :)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by qnc.hst View Post
                    Really? Wow... y'know Albert, taking your posts as a whole here I've always been fairly blown away with the sheer amount of stuff you've accomplished and then I get jealous when I get reminded that we're the same age... and you even beat me to "escaping Wisconsin". Damn :)

haha, nahhhh

Moving both to and out of Wisconsin was due to my father switching from one environmental chemistry lab company to another and me still being in grade school back then.

Of all the cities in Wisconsin, you're in the best though and don't worry if you want to find your way outta there I know you will!

I remember my next door neighbor had more weapons (converted the back half of his garage into a armory complete with fingerprint id) than most 3rd world countries. Scary and amazing at the same time to a 13 year old Ah well... at least we got tons of free venison from the neighbors all the time.
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• KodakII
                      • Sep 2008

Cleveland, what is there to say...most of the jokes are true.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                        • Oct 2007

Yeah, I wish I had more hunter friends that would pass on free venison. My dad would occasionally go hunting but never came back with anything except asparagus.

Also true that the sheer quantity of armaments stashed around this state can be totally off-putting.

And thanks on the well-wishes... I'm sure I'll leave here sometime; as my post outlined somewhat, I am still fairly comfortable here, not that I want to wait until I'm completely fed-up to make a move. I just worry that I'll keep putting it off "one more year" until I'm way stuck... but 30 is my for-real goal to save some seed money up and pick a new spot...

If only I could get all you guys to stop dropping such sweet deals in the classifieds all the time...

And the cessation of all 12" vinyl pressing plants (better include 7"s as well... though I can't imagine going ape on 10"s)...

My god it's a slow week at work.

Comment

• Bosozoku
                          • Sep 2008

Deleuze, I used to live in Bruxelles for one year and - especially from an aesthetic point of view - how can it ever exceed the qualities of Paris?

Of course, Grand Sablon, grand place and everything in between are memorable places, together with Rue Haute and Place du Jeu de Balles.

However, it's rather filthy, the people aren't too friendly and it's for a non-french speaking person (hence, my girlfriend) a fairly difficult place to blend in.

Completely agree with Faust: Antwerp exceeds Bruxelles in soooo many ways. However, neither of them can live up to the qualities of Paris

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                            • Mar 2009

I have lived in North london all my life. It is a city that i love to hate!
                            But it is home. Love for all the reasons that Eatme mentioned.
                            For me i loved the multi cultrialism of London. And the stark contrast it offers.I remeber going to Greece on summer holidays and telling all the kids of all the different places my friends are from. They used to call us the Foreign Embassy at school !

I spent my childhood years in an area called Tottenham,which leave s alot to be desired. Apart from the football team(which also leaves a lot too be desired in terms of success,but i love them non the less!)
                            Then by the age of 12 we moved to the house my mother grew up in when she first came to England from Greece. Area known as Alexandra Palace.
                            For me i wouldnt have wanted to live anywhere else.
                            You have the beauty of and old palace and park,which was home to the first BBC studios.

All around you have different areas which are so conflicting and contrasting.
                            For instance if you go north you have Muswell Hill/Highgate.
                            Lovely and leafy which have a sort of village feel to them.
                            Then if you head south of the hill,u have woodgreen and finsbury park.
                            Which are high in crime and a rather fucked up!But bustling with life.
                            But it is these contrasts that i love so much.If i want to lose myself and feel at ease i head up to the Palace and have a beautiful panoramic view of the city.
                            London has always been a huge inspiration for me in terms of my work.

Being in Athens for the past 3 months,the lifestyle and weather is a definate plus. Fresh food,lovely sunshine,laid back atmosphere and passionate people. Its beautiful to be able to go up by the Acropolis and sit there beside something that is hundreds of years old,and feel completely dislocated from the mayhem of the city.

I always miss London,even with its grey atmosphere from the buildings to the weather,its the people in the city that i love.
                            It gives me that inspiration,that i dont get in Athens.
                            merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• prednisone
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              Tokyo is great, but as some fellow Chinese friends of mine have agreed on, we just like it there because we don't know the language therefore don't understand the curse words they're throwing at us while they bow and smile. Definitely can't live there
                              I agree with you. The city is a wonderful place to visit with so much to do and see. The public transportation is awesome. Japanese people are very courteous and polite, but from everything I've read, Japan is a very closed society. An outsider will always be viewed as an outsider. Heck they even view some groups of their own ethnicity as outsiders and discriminate heavily against them (see burakumin). Japanese society is a very interesting and peculiar subject matter.
                              FS: Julius FW05 leather fencing jacket sz 3

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                                Also, what about Scandinavia/Belgium/Denmark? I mean, it's clean (I have a thing for cleanliness), it always strikes me as fashion-forward, it's also very cool in terms of industrial and product design, and modern architecture. And the nature is beautiful. And the forests are dreamy. And the metal is actually popular (in Sc. at least). Any SZers that live there would care to shed some light?
                                I live in Copenhagen, about 7 minutes on bicycle, from the center of the city. And yes the danish metro is clean due to an insanely high token price (4 usd pr. zone). I still like Copenhagen though, since there's a lot more too it than a clean metro. Shopping wise we don't have the same to offer as big cities as New York, Paris and London, but it's not that bad for the general public, but I can see why the danes from SZ hate the shopping possibilities.
                                I like the fact that there's so many different quarters in Copenhagen (Vesterbro, Nørrebro, Østerbro and inner city) and each quarter has something to different to provide to the city.
                                Architecture wise, there's a lot of modern architecture but the older buildings are the most spectacular and really shows the historical side of Denmark.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎