Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

^ Portlandia definitely has nailed it. Portland is a little more complicated and diverse than depicted but it's true that for every character in that show there is at least one real person like that in Portland.

michael_kard: You have convinced me to put Greece on the bottom of my list of countries to visit.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

on the subject of Portland, beautiful yes , friendly towards Californians no!! I've been on tour there quite a few times, here are just a few things that happened to me in 3 trips there all of which were less than 24 hours long. People after seeing my license told me to go back to LA 4 times, people honking at our van telling us to go back to california 8 times, smirking when told we're from la.. too often to remember. Not sure why that is. Other than the people there to see us, not too many friendlies and I have to say Portland bands are really overrated , I've never seen or played w/ one that could "play". And I also noticed that there is a pretty severe drinking/drug problem w/ most younger to early 30's musician types there and by severe I mean they drink twice as much as we do and start at noon... Outside of that, nice bookstores, good record stores, didn't see a lot of sz type clothing but diy t-shirts/sweaters and hemp bags galore.

Comment

• im_parfait
        Banned
        • Oct 2010

I live in Moscow and adore this city - it is so different from everything else! There are still loads of things to do and to improve here and that's why it's so dynamic! You should visit it (in the late spring or early summer) and feel the energy!

Of course there are drawbacks (and sometimes serious ones) but I consider them as "fun" aspects and uniquness)

I wish to live in a European capital (London or Paris I think) or in NYC for a couple of years but I don't really see my future far away from Russia.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

I do want to visit Moscow sometime ...

On Berlin, do yourself a favor, and get some tickets to
          the Berliner Philharmoniker. I was fortunate enough to
          experience, also this Christmas, a Russian evening of
          Schtschedrin, Rachmaninov and Mussorgsky.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
            I do want to visit Moscow sometime ...

On Berlin, do yourself a favor, and get some tickets to
            the Berliner Philharmoniker. I was fortunate enough to
            experience, also this Christmas, a Russian evening of
            Schtschedrin, Rachmaninov and Mussorgsky.

I hope you know, in Russian that last name is six letters long.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

When I have to say his name it sounds something like: "Sss" + [long mumble] + "drin"
              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• im_parfait
                Banned
                • Oct 2010

^ People often face problems with pronouncing my full name (Vyacheslav Khristolyubov))

Border guard (when my friends and I were passing Swedish passport control):
                - Hello, Olga, welcome to Sweden!
                - Hello, Anna, welcome to Sweden!
                - Hello...hm...I cannot, sorry! Welcome to Sweden!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ They now welcome you? Last time I witnessed, Russkih v Arlande zagonyali v predbannik pri peresadke.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post

When I have to say his name it sounds something like: "Sss" + [long mumble] + "drin"
                    They could've just written Schedrin. Is that a German translation? They do love their consonants.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• im_parfait
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      /\ They now welcome you? Last time I witnessed, Russkih v Arlande zagonyali v predbannik pri peresadke.
                      It's a pity
                      But we were lucky to deal with a nice officer. Your russian is good, btw - do you learn it for a long time?)

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        They could've just written Schedrin. Is that a German translation? They do love their consonants.
                        Yes, since it was a concert in Berlin.
                        I just checked some of the recordings I have, they are German to,
                        and on the cover they also spell it "Schtschedrin" except one
                        where it's spelled "Shchedrin", but yes that line of consonants
                        is not fair.

Ps. I'm relieved, as I say it pretty much as you have written it,
                        but I have always been in doubt.
                        Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM.
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by im_parfait View Post
                          It's a pity
                          But we were lucky to deal with a nice officer. Your russian is good, btw - do you learn it for a long time?)
                          Me love you long time. I was a native Russian speaker, and now I don't know what I am.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mikevigar
                            • Jan 2010

I live in Cardiff, and whilst there isn't much to talk about in terms of clothes, there are plenty of other things that make it a great place to visit!

I live right in the centre of the city - loads of bars, clubs, restaurants and shops, and it is only 15/20 minutes to the beach, 10 minutes to the countryside and 30 minutes to huge hills and mountains that you can trek across. There is a sizeable castle in the centre of the city and others only 10/15 minutes away.

No doubt the same as everywhere else, there are popular mainstream chains for everything (bars, restaurants, shops) but if you know where to look there are so many independently owned delightful places to eat, drink and get what you need. We have our own jersey shore muscle bound no neck tight jumper types (known as valley commandos) but perceptions of Cardiff as a dangerous place are misplaced. Its a pretty friendly place as long as you aren't English on rugby day.

It's a great place to visit if you coincide with sporting events. If you like rugby, its an awesome day/night out during the autumn internationals and six nations as the stadium is right in the centre of the city.

There's been a hell of a lot of money pumped into Cardiff in the 6 years I've been here but I feel like the city still has its own identity. It was worrying when this started to happen and places like Nandos, TGIs etc... started to pop up but the indoor arcades, markets and family run restaurants are still really busy which is great.

I have plenty of suggestions of places to go if anyone ever comes here, just drop me a message.

Comment

• eat me
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by im_parfait View Post
                              It's a pity
                              <...> Your russian is good, btw - do you learn it for a long time?)
                              lol good one Вася

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Mikevigar View Post
                                I live in Cardiff, <...> 30 minutes to huge hills and mountains that you can trek across. <...>
                                Mountains in the UK? Didn't know there are any. Hills, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎