Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
    LA people:

Willie's shoe services
    801 N Cahuenga Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90038

this is where i take my just about everything, and the level of price/quality is pretty difficult to match. the owner (i haven't been in in a while, and assuming he has not retired..) is a pushing-90 gentleman who has been working in shoemaking since his teens. he expertly restored my pieces from the early 1900's, taking their condition from 100 years of wear to looking pretty close to brand new. some of the repairs he performed were on damage so severe and unlikely that i honestly did not believe good results to be possible, and i've a fairly decent understanding of the process.

but yeah, this is the guy you want to take your shoes to if you feel like re-building your sole, etc. I've taken some rubber sole pieces or ground down to nothing heels to him to have those replaced with all new leather soles + additional rubber layers, anything you can think of really. you name it, he will do it. without asking an arm and a leg.

G, you need to intern with this guy. True, good, dedicated cobblers are a dying breed. I'd love to spend a month just watching a man like that and learning the skill
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• awlouie
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by merz
      LA people:

Willie's shoe services
      801 N Cahuenga Blvd
      Los Angeles, CA 90038

this is where i take my just about everything, and the level of price/quality is pretty difficult to match. the owner (i haven't been in in a while, and assuming he has not retired..) is a pushing-90 gentleman who has been working in shoemaking since his teens. he expertly restored my pieces from the early 1900's, taking their condition from 100 years of wear to looking pretty close to brand new. some of the repairs he performed were on damage so severe and unlikely that i honestly did not believe good results to be possible, and i've a fairly decent understanding of the process.

but yeah, this is the guy you want to take your shoes to if you feel like re-building your sole, etc. I've taken some rubber sole pieces or ground down to nothing heels to him to have those replaced with all new leather soles + additional rubber layers, anything you can think of really. you name it, he will do it. without asking an arm and a leg.
      It would be interesting to see some before and after photos of his workmanship!
      "Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
      -Bruce Lee

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

Appreciate the southern california suggestion, Merz. I have a few pairs of shoes that really could use some repairs this summer so next time I'm up there I might drop them by.

Main question: I love the shape of these rick boots but I'm not really much a fan of distressed anything. How would these take to a black dyeing? My assumption is not well - especially since they're reverse calf leather and I'm guessing that even with a black dye it won't really eliminate the distressed look.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Do they have texture? I've seen these before but I'm not sure they did.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

I'm not certain - I haven't seen the 'distressed' versions in person only a pair of the plain black leather ones.

There's a close-up if it helps at all.
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Can any of the frenchies on the board recommend a good cobbler in paris?

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                http://www.ateliercattelan.eu/
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Norris
                  • Sep 2008

Anyone from Vancouver can suggest a good leather garment repairer and a good cobbler?
                  ________
                  Bmw X
                  Last edited by Norris; 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                    if you need to resole, I strongly recoment the cobbler on the Rue du Regard, near metro Saint Placide. I can't remember the exact adress or the name, but it's a short street and there's only one cobbler on it (it's on the left-hand sidewalk towards the end of the street coming from the metro). my dad only wears classical english shoes and this is his guy, he's made 20+ year old shoes look and feel brand new

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

Haha, of course those places couldn't be any less conveniently located (i'm in the 11eme) but I suppose it's worth it?

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

well it really depends on what you need done.
                        There was a more than decent cobbler on the rue de l'arbre sec, but I don't know if he still exists. it's near les halles, maybe that's more convenient to you ?

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

I really just need some leather cleaned up a bit, and soles redone on a pair of Jean Michel Cazabat cuban heeled boots. I'm sure most cobblers can handle it, especially in Paris. I'll check out the one near Les Halles, that's definitely easier for me. Thanks.

Comment

• asis
                            • Dec 2008

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler for adding rubber undersoles in London preferably central or N.west ?

Comment

• KM80
                              • Mar 2008

There's a place called Quick cobbler that I just went to for the first time and they did a good job and seem to have some experienced people working there, I'd recommend it. By the cop station on Cambie.

Originally posted by Norris View Post
                              Anyone from Vancouver can suggest a good leather garment repairer and a good cobbler?

Comment

• humancrack
                                • Feb 2008

2nded to km80

took my rick sneaks and rubberbands there recently, excellent recommendation

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎