Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354
Results 1,061 to 1,076 of 1076

Thread: Cobblers, shoe care, DIY

  1. #1061

    Default

    can confirm, it worked perfectly. they look great, and it definitely didn't ruin them.
    it did ruin the sponges i used to apply the cleaner though. those are super black now from the guidis :D

  2. #1062

    Default

    Hey everyone, I recently bought a pair of CCP O.D. Lined, one-piece prosthetic boots (Horse, Color 10). I made a mistake by asking inquiring about this in the CCP forum, so now I am here. I bought these from the Darklands a little over a month and a half ago and am more than pleased. Before first use, I brought them to a local cobbler for Vibram but he only recommended the sole part for Vibram, while saying the heel should be worn out before being reinforced by Vibram. I know heels can be easily replaced, but is this normal? I told him I would prefer Vibram on both the heel and sole, and he recommended this setup. Also, I need to start from the ground up with cleaning products. I wear these at least 2-3 times a week, and I live in a snowy place currently. I'm sure I can wipe off salt and small blemishes, but I would like to reinforce these boots to keep them for as long as possible. Please recommend anything: Horse hair brushes, cordovan pomades / creams, deer polishing bones, etc, I would love to hear your leather care routine. Finally, I am a new user, and a relatively unexperienced individual in this fashion realm, so I apologize for any and all ignorances expressed. Thank you.

  3. #1063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hon View Post
    Hey everyone, I recently bought a pair of CCP O.D. Lined, one-piece prosthetic boots (Horse, Color 10). I made a mistake by asking inquiring about this in the CCP forum, so now I am here. I bought these from the Darklands a little over a month and a half ago and am more than pleased. Before first use, I brought them to a local cobbler for Vibram but he only recommended the sole part for Vibram, while saying the heel should be worn out before being reinforced by Vibram. I know heels can be easily replaced, but is this normal? I told him I would prefer Vibram on both the heel and sole, and he recommended this setup. Also, I need to start from the ground up with cleaning products. I wear these at least 2-3 times a week, and I live in a snowy place currently. I'm sure I can wipe off salt and small blemishes, but I would like to reinforce these boots to keep them for as long as possible. Please recommend anything: Horse hair brushes, cordovan pomades / creams, deer polishing bones, etc, I would love to hear your leather care routine. Finally, I am a new user, and a relatively unexperienced individual in this fashion realm, so I apologize for any and all ignorances expressed. Thank you.
    Your cobbler was actually right, someone already explained it for you. But I've seen lots of people myself included - and some of the respected dudes around here I believe, who'd just vibram their shoes right off day one without chopping off the heels. I think it's absolutely OK if you put on the thinner one like so (3mm for the heel), and actually a lot of people (myself included) would just put on the thicker ones (7-8mm) nonetheless (and still 2 mm for the sole) - yes the shoe will curl up a bit but from my own experience it's not a big deal at all. If you wear your shoes that often and under relatively harsh conditions then yeah you do need to take great care of them, try those conditoners/creams others had recommended.

  4. #1064

    Default

    I wasn't given specific products to try out. My cobbler tells me differently than the forums on here, so I am confused. I would like my cordovan boots to last as long as humanly possible, I have head them around two months. I'm most likely going to buy a horse hair brush, deer polishing bone, and a cream and pomade (do not really know the differences between each). I know what cordovan leather entails, and I also know it is just horse at the end of the day.. but I am wearing these a few days a week like I said with probably some minimal salt damage so far. Anything anybody has for me would be appreciated. I have included a link to a website I am considering buying from:https://www.hangerproject.com/blog/2...-leather-care/

  5. #1065

    Default

    Hello everyone

    I got a pair of A1923 boots in reverse horse that i've been wearing for quite some time now. Haven't really been taking care of it much and i do not know what to use. So my question is does anybody got reverse horse leather shoes and how do you take care of yours? and what product do you use?

  6. #1066

    Default

    I have a pair of reverse culatta a1923 work boots that needs some heel replacements, is the Firm still the go to place in NY? I assume the repair on the reverse leather follows the same method as regular leather soles.

  7. #1067

    Default

    Does anyone know a place in Florence (or maybe even Rome) where I might find Saphir Renovateur? Thanks!

  8. #1068
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,716

    Default

    The Firm resoled my Rick Owens creepers and they did a good job at it. Also glued back together the top sole part that inevitably gets unglued, with mixed results...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  9. #1069

    Default

    unearthing this thread..

    does anyone know if that shop in tokyo that completely fixes old dunk soles still exists? apologies if its the one that's already been mentioned.

    or failing that, are there any known cobblers who'll do a similar service (via mail depending on locale)?

    thanks in advance

  10. #1070

    Default

    Recently fallen in love with Saphir shoe care products.

    After digging through countless forums and YouTube videos to find a solution to give life back to a pair of Rick distressed leather military boots that had seen better days, came across this brand. Ordered three products - the renovateur cream, a cream polish and a wax polish. The renovateur cream nourished the leather back to life... I wish I had taken a before and after picture. I was a little hesitant as it stated it was a mink oil based product, but it went on smooth like a nice facial cream (Id say this is the La Mer of leather care). So excited by the results I stayed up and polished all my leathers, which at 20 pairs wasn’t easy but oh so rewarding. I’ve fallen in love with these boots again.

    Anyway, shameless non-endorsed plug. Best money spent in a while.

  11. #1071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    The Firm resoled my Rick Owens creepers and they did a good job at it. Also glued back together the top sole part that inevitably gets unglued, with mixed results...
    Can you share any pictures?
    I have the pre-2010 version with the creeper sole and want to get the lower part replaced with a vibram sole. The original sole does not do anything when there is snow and ice out on the streets.

  12. #1072
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Can you share any pictures?
    I have the pre-2010 version with the creeper sole and want to get the lower part replaced with a vibram sole. The original sole does not do anything when there is snow and ice out on the streets.
    It's been so long, but they keep fixing them. The stitches have begun to unravel, and they have stitched them back together. The soles will always come unglued - they are just badly made. I don't have pictures, sorry. For you, I would suggest simply adding a layer of vibram, and not replacing the sole, which will probably be very expensive.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  13. #1073

    Default

    Does any one know a cobbler thats capable of removing the soles on these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...black/.....and creating a sole like these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...murex-purple/?

    Bought the new style boots and i'm desperately hoping I can get an experienced cobbler to recreate the soles(or something similar) with the more classic soles.

  14. #1074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInformalGenius View Post
    Does any one know a cobbler thats capable of removing the soles on these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...black/.....and creating a sole like these boots https://borisbidjansaberiny.com/prod...murex-purple/?

    Bought the new style boots and i'm desperately hoping I can get an experienced cobbler to recreate the soles(or something similar) with the more classic soles.
    Apparently the easiest way is to resell the 1.1 and just get the boot1's instead. :/

  15. #1075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 13we2 View Post
    Apparently the easiest way is to resell the 1.1 and just get the boot1's instead. :/
    The only problem is I haven't seen any stores order the Boot1 with the Smooth black horse leather in years.

  16. #1076
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,716

    Default

    PSA: For those of you whose feet get cold. I finally realized that there is such a thing as shearling insoles. They are a game changer. I knew they existed, but I forgot... for years. Pro tip: don't make the same mistake I made, get them in your shoe size, not in your foot size. Also, you'll need plenty of room for them, so if your footwear TTS, it probably won't work. I use them with boots that are a size too big, and it's been fab.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •