Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 54546474849505152535455
Results 1,081 to 1,084 of 1084

Thread: Cobblers, shoe care, DIY

Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Dimissianos & Miller Derbies, and as i was prepared for, the leather and the shoes in general are quite stiff (they are made in Horse Culatta leather).
    Have you got some suggestions for let them softer before the use? I have "saphir" mink oil but i honestly don't think it's the best thing to do applying it, since the shoes are brand new.

Thank you
    Last edited by Campe92; 12-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "I'm not working in the mainstream, i'm working on the side street, side dark street, it is quite comfortable." [Yohji Yamamoto]

Quote Originally Posted by Campe92 View Post
    Hi all,
    Have you got some suggestions for let them softer before the use?

Thank you
    Saphir makes a product called shoe-eze precisely for softening leather. I've never used it but it may help. Otherwise you can take a rubber mallet and basically hammer the shoe at the stiffest points like the heel and maybe the vamp. That's what I used to do to help break in Docs.

Hey All! Talking about shoe care, i got a problem here Houston. My guids, 8month old, are seriously squeaking. It comes from the soles (says Guidis HQ) or from the shank (says my cobbler..) i'm pretty sure it comes from the soles. The cobbler put on some vibrams, and maybe put it wrong as long as there might be some "air" between the leather sole and the vibram, that causes that squeaking noise. Is there any way to fix it ? Maybe withdraw the rubber soles and put on some new ? It's really annoying aha

Quote Originally Posted by noirdissident View Post
    Hey All! Talking about shoe care, i got a problem here Houston. My guids, 8month old, are seriously squeaking. It comes from the soles (says Guidis HQ) or from the shank (says my cobbler..) i'm pretty sure it comes from the soles. The cobbler put on some vibrams, and maybe put it wrong as long as there might be some "air" between the leather sole and the vibram, that causes that squeaking noise. Is there any way to fix it ? Maybe withdraw the rubber soles and put on some new ? It's really annoying aha

it'd definitely air trapped somewhere... but it's very tricky as I think it's different in each case. I had that on a pair of BBS bambas and they had to change the entire sole (including all the rubber patches.
    I'd try changing new rubber soles and see from there...