Thread: Cobblers, shoe care, DIY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cobblers, shoe care, DIY

kicking this off bc its long overdue.
    if anyone has specific recommendations for DIY cleaning for ccp boots that would great. i know theres stuff in the booklet, but booklets scare me.
    whatever this evolves into, i would appreciate it if advice would be super geeky and detailed.
    please post your local cobblers info, anyone know of a good one in park slope?
    in the midst of life we are in debt etc etc etc
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Didn't we already have a thread like this. I know I already posted the way I clean my CCP boots.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

redactoid
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

How I clean CCP boots:

-Wipe dirt with moist rag
    -Dry with other rag
    -Use leather cleaner
    -Let them sit for 5 mins
    -Buff with rag

I put shoetrees in after using any sort of shoe/boots. I add vibram soles to boots and metal taps to shoes.

How I shine shoes:

Wipe dirt with wet rag
    Use dry rag to remove moisture
    Use leather cleaner spreading it with rag
    Let it sit 5 mins
    Buff with rag
    Use saphir leather conditioner (sometimes) basically the same steps as with cleaner
    Apply shoeshine with tootbrush
    Spread with rag
    Buff with brush

Sometimes I'll use shoe cream instead of shoeshine. I recommend Saphir products.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
    How I shine shoes:

Wipe dirt with wet rag
    Use dry rag to remove moisture
    Use leather cleaner spreading it with rag
    Let it sit 5 mins
    Buff with rag
    Use saphir leather conditioner (sometimes) basically the same steps as with cleaner
    Apply shoeshine with tootbrush
    Spread with rag
    Buff with brush

Sometimes I'll use shoe cream instead of shoeshine. I recommend Saphir products.
    Slightly OT: Do you know any place in Montreal that sells Saphir products by any chance? I don't feel like ordering them online from Francos or Valmour.

Here's a nice and simple video about how to wax your shoes for those that are interested (sorry, it's in french though):

http://www.linternaute.com/video/592...acage-du-cuir/

Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    thx fuuma what leather cleaner?
    Got to a local cobbler and get something like Allen Edmonds cleaner or even Mephisto (rebranded Allen Edmonds).

in regards to cleaning ccp boots, i use this thing
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

i used it to clean and condition my gray ccp boots which got drenched the night of the first A party thing. all you do is use a sponge and apply it all over the boot and then wipe it down.

in terms of care for ccp footwear/cdiem, i vibramed them all and don't use shoe trees. i figure the amount of treatment that the leather goes through, specifically for ccp, it should be durable enough to withstand some foot sweat/moisture. i would get shoe trees for other leather shoes however. the only other rule i follow is to wear your shoes one day and then let them rest for 24 hours.

in terms of cobblers in nyc, i've only had experience with firm shoe repair on 12st and 4th ave and a place down the street from my work.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Default CCP New Style Soles

Has anyone put vibrams on their new style derby or boots? Because of the toe and heel coverings I was wondering if it makes sense to cover/protect the rest of the sole.

Default MA+ Boot Stretching

NEED HELP...

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of MA+ lace up boots...They're quite narrow in width and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with having a cobbler stretch out the width in a pair of boots...I'm guessing they'll have to be stretched approx 1 size up...

I was thinking about going up one size, but they'd just be too big length wise at that point.

Thanks

Width is easy and can be done.

thanks EckBlk....

do you think i'm pushing it by increasing the width by a full size?...

It'd be important to know what kind of leather it is? Although I'm not an expert, I'm sure some stretch more than others.

Can you not go one size up and put in a insole? I think that's a much better option than getting a cobbler to mess around.

Do soles like this need vibram added? I assume the heel doesn't since that is like a protective sole and comes with a spare. So just add vibram to the front?

they don't need to, but you can if you want to. I asked my cobbler to remove the replacable layer and add a Vibram instead, makes the heel a bit softer to walk on and better for winter use.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Thanks Arto, I think I'll give them a couple wears to see how they feel then add vibrams to the front and decide if I want to have the heel changed to vibram or not.

the ma+ heels (even though part rubber, part leather) always wear down much quicker than the vibram, so i recommend get the heel and sole done in one go or you'll just be back there 2 weeks later getting the heels done anyway

and on the whole vibram or not debate....its a hard one, but with ma+ footwear i am always tempted to vibram more so than with augusta
    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

I think I just used bad wording haha, I meant I'll wear them a couple times to see how the feel then I'll add soles to the front and I would have decided on whether to change the heel or not by then so I'll either change it or not when I get the front done.

echoing eton. You better get them done in one go B. The leather part wears down reaaal quick.

Not sure if this belongs in the DIY section or this thread but is anyone aware of a cobbler in central London that will dye shoes? Need to dye a pair of dust boots to black, I'm aware that certain cobblers will do it, but I have yet to find one. All I have visited have either said no, or I should do it myself. Not being all that experienced in the process I'd rather let a professional do it.