X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sammywaslow
    • Apr 2008

to rubber sole or not to rubber sole

I reckon I'm in the minority inasmuch as I'm loathe to retro-fit rubber soles to my shoes or boots.

Reason #1: There's something about the feel of leather underfoot that I find curiously seductive.

Reason #2: Despite being howled down on another site when I raised this assertion - I maintain that rubber clad soles don't allow the shoe to breathe as it was meant to and can, in fact, shorten the life of the shoe.

Reason #3: I've never, ever, worn a hole through the bottom of any of my leather soled shoes/boots. If putting rubber soles on shoes is such a great idea, how come all shoes aren't made that way?

I wince when I see people putting CCP boots up for sale after having Topy's applied to quarter inch thick bull leather soles. What - are you guys intending on running marathons in those things?

And shoe trees? My advice (and experience) is only use shoe trees if they were originally supplied with the shoe. That is, they replicate the 'last' that the shoe was made on. Otherwise, you might find your shoes being stretched in ways you don't want.

Comment

• Who?
      • Aug 2007

I like having rubber soles added especially during winter. It helps to avoid slipping on ice, salt damage and wet feet.
      WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by sammywaslow View Post
        I reckon I'm in the minority inasmuch as I'm loathe to retro-fit rubber soles to my shoes or boots.

Reason #1: There's something about the feel of leather underfoot that I find curiously seductive.

Reason #2: Despite being howled down on another site when I raised this assertion - I maintain that rubber clad soles don't allow the shoe to breathe as it was meant to and can, in fact, shorten the life of the shoe.

Reason #3: I've never, ever, worn a hole through the bottom of any of my leather soled shoes/boots. If putting rubber soles on shoes is such a great idea, how come all shoes aren't made that way?

I wince when I see people putting CCP boots up for sale after having Topy's applied to quarter inch thick bull leather soles. What - are you guys intending on running marathons in those things?

And shoe trees? My advice (and experience) is only use shoe trees if they were originally supplied with the shoe. That is, they replicate the 'last' that the shoe was made on. Otherwise, you might find your shoes being stretched in ways you don't want.
        I agree with all those points, especially point 2.
        However, I put rubber on my soles since the day I nearly broke my neck as I was boldly going down a nearby street, just after the rain. No more leather for me, thanks - I still have to walk when the pavement is wet.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• cabl3
          • Dec 2008

You would assume that #2 can be addressed by allowing the shoes to rest a full day between wears.
          "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
          - Wilde

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

Not so simple. The leather sole, during this day of rest, allows the inner of the shoe to breath and dry naturaly, when the rubber sole is altering this process and retaining a bit of moisture that can damage the shoe. But this is a very, very slow process, and I believe that the damage it causes can be repaired anyway.
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• sshum88
              • Dec 2007

I've heard that Ace of Suedes on Venables is good for leather repairs and depending on where you are, I've used the cobbler that used to be part of the Hudson Bay located at the lower mall level heading out to the Skytrain station and also Parson's Shoe Re-new on West Pender. I've only used them to put on or replace protective soles on my shoes.

Originally posted by Norris View Post
              Anyone from Vancouver can suggest a good leather garment repairer and a good cobbler?
              Originally posted by eat me
              If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• MidnightBlue
                • Sep 2009

I agree. if you live in a place which tends to get icy in the winter months then rubber soles are a must. I have slipped up walking down the stairs at my train station before. leather just cant handle slippery surfaces. also if like me you have real wood floor boards in your house then leather soles can damage them and also make a hell of a racket.

Comment

• mw000
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by KM80 View Post
                  There's a place called Quick cobbler that I just went to for the first time and they did a good job and seem to have some experienced people working there, I'd recommend it. By the cop station on Cambie.
                  Interesting.. I walked by there once and wondered if they were any good.

As for leather repairs and alterations, I have only found 2 places that will do it. Its not cheap and you really have to specify what you want. Both are in (of all places) Metrotown.

One is Liberty Cleaners, the other name escapes me.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

just to give a completely opposite perspective:

I personally am not that fond of the feel. leather soles, at least on my feet, are quite loud when walking. over here gravel is thrown over icy sidewalks in the winter, the small bits make a really bad creak between a hard leather sole and the pavement.

do several millimeters thick leather soles really breathe much? sounds really bizarre to me, especially when it comes to heels. there is no way air moves through 2cm of pressed leather.

depending on your step, soles and heels in particular can wear very unevenly. rubber soles can be easily replacled, if I wouldn't have them my heels would be very worn from the inner back corner, and this isn't exactly an easy thing to fix.

snow/rain is a whole other deal, what do you think it does to leather soles? not to even mention how slippery leather is on snow and ice, even on wet concrete.

I do understand the idea of not wanting to tamper with the original soles, but I prefer to add something that is hardly visible and will significantly lengthen the life of my shoes/boots, and also save me from cracking my skull during winter. there is really no down side for me in it, which is why I've done it on all my shoes.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

Follow in the soles of mike lowrey you'll see, it's all upside.
                      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• ironman
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Who? View Post
                        I like having rubber soles added especially during winter. It helps to avoid slipping on ice, salt damage and wet feet.
                        like many have said, it helps with grip, but to reinforce what Who? said, it's not nice to walk on leather soles on a rainy or snowy day. the moisture gets through and feels pretty uncomfortable

i don't put rubber soles on shoes i plan to only wear in the summer, though

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                        over here gravel is thrown over icy sidewalks in the winter, the small bits make a really bad creak between a hard leather sole and the pavement.
                        i know exactly what you mean

Comment

• MidnightBlue
                          • Sep 2009

^ Here they throw down hard salt over the ice and with some of my brogues a have found bits of the salt imbedded in the leather sole. This can also be very annoying.

Comment

• sammywaslow
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                            snow/rain is a whole other deal, what do you think it does to leather soles? not to even mention how slippery leather is on snow and ice, even on wet concrete
                            Definitely prepared to concede on this point. No snow or ice where I live so this it's never been a consideration. Last thing I want is for anyone to slip over and crack their skull.

Also, must hasten to add that I have applied rubber soles in some instances. Depends on the shoe/boot and where or when I intend to wear them.

Comment

• Vikeid
                              • Feb 2009

hi, need some little help here. have a pair of ma+ boots in calf leather. anyone have any suggestion how to keep em nice? other leather shoes ive had i have mostly just polished them. but i feel i shouldnt do that with these? couse they have a more matte leather.

Comment

wax them to keep them resistent to road salt. Otherwise the leather will dry out and crack.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎