X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boxma
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Torchiere View Post
    Can someone in Toronto recommend me a cobbler? Gonna install some rubber soles.

I live in Markham, so pretty much anywhere in York region and downtown will be fine.

I've read good things about Novelty Shoe Rebuilders, anyone been there before?
    I usually go to Kaners. It's in dowtown, inside the mall of Nike Store, basement level.

Find Kaner's Handbags & Shoe Repair and other Shoe Repair. Maps, directions, reviews, and contact information at Canpages.ca.

Comment

• nictan
      • Jul 2009

anyone with the SS09 Ann sandals added protective soles to them? ive been wearing the shit out of mine, and im starting to see some wear on the soles, and am wondering whether to vibram them or not.

and how do the soles of Ann boots hold up? expecting a package in a few days, and wondering to vibram those too?

and if i do get them vibramed? do i ask that they sand down the soles or not? to accommodate for the increase in height due to the vibrams.

sorry for the questions. thanks in advance.

Comment

• magic
        • Feb 2009

if you are comfortable with the heel(included the rubber sole) i dont think theres a need to sand them down. cobblers usually sand slightly just to make the surface even/smooth before adding rubber sole.
        Last edited by magic; 06-27-2010, 05:40 AM.
        Focusing on object details

Comment

• eton97
          • Dec 2008

been stuck between question of adding virbam sole to my augusta shoes/boots - half i haven't bothered and half i have.....actually regretting adding them now (i always add them to the heel however as these always wear down quickly)....I actually got some advice from Simonne @ augusta on this...his view is that his soles are so thick and sturdy that you would find it very very difficult to ever wear through them....even with continuous wear over years.....adding vibram also changes the look of the boot and you don't get to see the nice natural wear and scuffing on the sole which actually shows the difference between a quality pair of boots and a cheap rubber soled pair......from now on, if its got a substantial leather sole, i won't be touching them!
          you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• beardown
            rekoner
            • Feb 2009

I will always Vibram my boot soles, regardless of brand.
            It's just practical. It takes care of your investment, it makes the shoe quieter (I can't stand the constant loud noises of a heavy, stark sole for a pair of daily wear) and when it's wet or snowy, untouched soles are like trying to walk on a sheet of ice around these parts.

So between all of those factors, I stick with the comfort, protection and stability of a Vibram sole.
            /end Vibram ad.
            Originally posted by mizzar
            Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• sshum88
              • Dec 2007

^ I agree with Beardown...just brought home 3 pairs of footwear from the cobbler. You can get a very thin Vibram sole which is barely noticeable and doesn't change the look of the boot/shoe at all.
              Originally posted by eat me
              If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

fair enough - can't argue with that - i think i need to change my cobbler - he has been putting some thick soles on which really don't look great - also how do you get around the colour issues - on many augusta/ma+ that aren't black, the leather soles are similar to the colour of the shoes - be it blue/green etc - do you ignore this and just go for black whatever?
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• bestial
                  • Jun 2008

I guess you can get the cobbler to cut out a vibram-sole to fit the heel instead of getting a thick extra vibram heel sole. Something I didn't think of when I soled my Guidis. So they cut of one leather layer of the heel to put on the rubber heel.. not that pretty when you know it. But well on the foot out on the street walking... no one notice.

Comment

• sshum88
                    • Dec 2007

The cobbler I use carries protective soles in multiple colors, different thickness and different sole patterns (if you wanted something more 'grippy').
                    Originally posted by eat me
                    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Raw
                      • Oct 2009

I definately agree that Vibram should be added to boots. On numerous occasions I think to myself "man if I didn't have these soles added I would have face planted the pavement"

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

i just vibram-ed my ann boots. anyone interested in getting theirs done in singapore, let me know. can recommend the place i went to. fast, and good service.

Comment

• nictan
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                          I guess you can get the cobbler to cut out a vibram-sole to fit the heel instead of getting a thick extra vibram heel sole. Something I didn't think of when I soled my Guidis. So they cut of one leather layer of the heel to put on the rubber heel.. not that pretty when you know it. But well on the foot out on the street walking... no one notice.
                          i asked my cobbler to do that, but he said the half sole that goes in front isnt as durable as the heel sole.

Comment

• bestial
                            • Jun 2008

No, of course not.

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

okay....i found a great pair of boots - on sale but the heel is rather large...is it possible to slim down the heel?

Comment

• beardown
                                rekoner
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                                fair enough - can't argue with that - i think i need to change my cobbler - he has been putting some thick soles on which really don't look great - also how do you get around the colour issues - on many augusta/ma+ that aren't black, the leather soles are similar to the colour of the shoes - be it blue/green etc - do you ignore this and just go for black whatever?

Vibram makes a lot of colors. My cobbler has a swatch book of colors he can order (but doesn't keep on hand) for soles and I remember there being about 12...a lot of very neutral and dark colors and then some greens, grays and even a bright red.

At his shop, he has several browns, blacks & grays. I try to match the original sole as closely as possible but when all else fails, go black and you can't miss.
                                Originally posted by mizzar
                                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎