Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobblers, shoe care, DIY

Quote Originally Posted by asho View Post
    you are completely wrong. the nails in the bottom of a heel are to hold the FINAL layer of the heel on only. Makers are aware that a heel will need to be replaced several times over in a shoe's lifetime. If five or so nails were driven through and subsequently removed each time the heel itself would fall to pieces. The heel is held on and together by nails from the inside of the shoe down.
    Thanks! I'm a fan of Augusta and my heart sank for a moment.

anyone here with ann d sneakers who has added a foam or gum type sole? i'm trying to find thin sheets of small ripple foam but i can't find any.

donīt know if this question was posted before, sorry if yes:

I was wondering whether antique-looking shoes like CCP get shiny if I apply good polish shoe creme like kiwi, burgol or sapphire on it?

I want to keep the shoes as dull as they are...

can I actually give a sole protection for my sneakers?..and If i want to do that, so I just bring it to the nearest cobblers?
    btw, any recommended cobblers in melbourne?

I put a white vibram sole on my augusta sneakers and they came out perfectly.
    Glad I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by diorowen View Post
    can I actually give a sole protection for my sneakers?..and If i want to do that, so I just bring it to the nearest cobblers?
    btw, any recommended cobblers in melbourne?

Default Ann D sneaks

Quote Originally Posted by swooc2 View Post
    anyone here with ann d sneakers who has added a foam or gum type sole? i'm trying to find thin sheets of small ripple foam but i can't find any.
    This was what I had done my mine...

Quote Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
    Glad I did it.
    what do u think will work on my rick owen sneaker? :p..
    erm, and how do u put it? jst bring it to the cobblers?

yes 100% cobbler - definitely would not do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by diorowen View Post
    what do u think will work on my rick owen sneaker? :p..
    erm, and how do u put it? jst bring it to the cobblers?

Quote Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
    Glad I did it.
    here is what i did with mine - considering the wear that is already showing on the vibram, it was a good move:

nice,,thanks for the info..:D
    first time buying rickowen's sneaker..and I realise most of my sneaker who doesnt have sole protector, the sole got worn off quite fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
    This was what I had done my mine...
    that is exactly what im looking for. i'm guessing the sole was supplied by the cobbler you went to? i like how they even went to all the troubles of cutting out a circle for the sizing number to show. thats dedication.

i've been to 5 cobblers here in sydney and they all supplied topy's only. sigh.
    Last edited by swooc2; 08-08-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Default Ann D sneaks

/\ You got it wrong. The main rubber sole with the ridges is the original. I only had the heel portion replaced because that was the only area showing wear.

ah i see. mine are flat smooth :/.

Anybody know a good cobbler in San Francisco, or elsewhere in the Bay Area?

Alternately, do any of the (LA, NYC, etc) places in the CONUS take mailorder work?

I have a variety of both classic men's shoes as well as more SZ type shoes that need some careful attention, and the cheap and cheerful guy I have been using just doesn't have the attention to detail.

I read the whole thread but couldn't find good answer.

What grease/oil/etc should I use for cordovan boots?

Thanks.

I use kiwi's natural selfshine shoe polish to all my leather shoes, cordovan, kangaroo etc. and I know many others here also uses kiwi.

does it make more shine on the leather? i am looking for something like a conditioner..
    Focusing on object details

I also tried to find that, but it was impossible in the stores around, most of the employees said that every shoe cream/polish/whatever makes the surface more or less shiny, don't know if that is absolutely true but you can't argue with your local shoe store hag. This was the best I've found so far, and it doesn't make the shoes too shiny.

Thanks C^ yes...same thing i heard as well. just not really like a shine on shoe..will give a shot on this.
    Focusing on object details

my ccp derbys and guidi ankle boots does have some shine too them, so of course one doesn't notice it as much on those. although when I treated my augusta sneakers they became a little bit too shiney, or maybe too black, will of course go away after some wear.