X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

It's tough to see but I believe I can see something going on there.
    Are they legit? Did you get them from a reliable source? I'm asking because there were a lot of fakes in that style bouncing around Ebay and various places.
    But ultimately, I'd say this: White sneakers are definitely going to break down and get offensively dirty and that's probably when they'll look their best.
    I don't blame you for showing concern about the leather but I'd say they will maintain their integrity over time even if they appear abused and roughed up.
    The easiest way to tell if they're legit is to check out the label on the inner sole. If you have any questions, just post a pic of it here.
    But I'd wear them hard and get them looking rough. Bright, white shoes are almost an eyesore in a way.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Greve
      • Apr 2010

How would I go about dyeing my leather boots?

Comment

• how would i go about finding a shoemaker that can actually make shoes and not just slaughter the few pairs i have and like?

all shoeservice spots in sthlm is run by idiots who only know how to recap a sole/heel or has a combined locksmith/shoerepair service.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

does anyone know if augusta or guidi will restore footwear to the original specs?

i don't want a resole from a cobbler. i want a resole from the MAKER.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
            does anyone know if augusta or guidi will restore footwear to the original specs?

i don't want a resole from a cobbler. i want a resole from the MAKER.

Isn't this expecting a bit much?
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endersgame
              • Aug 2009

i had a really bad time with a cobbler this week. i don't want to get into details but some of these guys are just not sensitive to the original design. it's like you bring them shoes, nice or shitty, and they will do the same job with all of them..

i basically gave them a simple repair and i got back a totally different shoe. it was corrected, but i don't want to deal with this..

and i'm not rubber soleing anymore..

Comment

• Zenith
                • Jun 2009

Are there any decent cobblers in central london that will do rick high tops? My regular has closed shop, and every other cobbler I've taken them to has given me that WTF look.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                  • Mar 2007

Sorry to hear about your bad experience

Endersgame, sounds like a nightmare. I can only imagine how I'd feel if one of my own got sent out and came back a stranger.

Just today I had a lousy experience with a cobbler here. While I've not given up on rubber soleing (I still believe in its value and practicality), going forward I've decided to only have it done in Japan, nowhere else!

Comment

• Fry Chicken
                    • Oct 2009

I come across this link recently:
                    http://unionworks.blog118.fc2.com/blog-entry-341.html

Very interesting work of a Japanese cobbler on a pair of CCP derby.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                      • Mar 2007

Great call

Union Works is one of 2 places in Tokyo I frequent.

Impeccable workmanship

Comment

• eton97
                        • Dec 2008

I've had similar experience....I am now only redoing the heel as this seems one place they can't c8ck up too badly and its the heel that always goes first for me....just tell the cobbler in advance not to paint it like they do on standard shoes.....
                        Also was surprised but I took my Augusta boots to get re-heeled this week - cobbler initially said it would take an hour or so because of the nails that are used in in the heel....on second inspection, the nails were literally 5mm long - basically purely for aesthetics.....expected more from Augusta considering pricing.....the nails should go right through the leather layers used to make up the heel, but they are merely glued.....just a bit surprised!

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                        i had a really bad time with a cobbler this week. i don't want to get into details but some of these guys are just not sensitive to the original design. it's like you bring them shoes, nice or shitty, and they will do the same job with all of them..

i basically gave them a simple repair and i got back a totally different shoe. it was corrected, but i don't want to deal with this..

and i'm not rubber soleing anymore..
                        you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• kirkmitchell
                          • Apr 2009

Since I'm new to this whole buying nice shoes thing, I have a question about resoling shoes. I know that anything goodyear welted can be resoled (though if I'm wrong, please disabuse me of that notion.) What about other ways of attaching the sole to the upper? Can they too be resoled? What do I look for?

Case study: I was trying on a pair of Zeha Berlin oxfords, and they were like sex on my feet, but they were very clearly not oxford welted. The SA brushed off my question about resoling by telling me I should just put some topys on and replace them periodically.

Comment

• asho
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                            I've had similar experience....I am now only redoing the heel as this seems one place they can't c8ck up too badly and its the heel that always goes first for me....just tell the cobbler in advance not to paint it like they do on standard shoes.....
                            Also was surprised but I took my Augusta boots to get re-heeled this week - cobbler initially said it would take an hour or so because of the nails that are used in in the heel....on second inspection, the nails were literally 5mm long - basically purely for aesthetics.....expected more from Augusta considering pricing.....the nails should go right through the leather layers used to make up the heel, but they are merely glued.....just a bit surprised!
                            you are completely wrong. the nails in the bottom of a heel are to hold the FINAL layer of the heel on only. Makers are aware that a heel will need to be replaced several times over in a shoe's lifetime. If five or so nails were driven through and subsequently removed each time the heel itself would fall to pieces. The heel is held on and together by nails from the inside of the shoe down.

Comment

• eton97
                              • Dec 2008

Thank you for settling the point. This is the second time I have been given completely wrong info by cobblers.....your point makes complete sense.

Originally posted by asho View Post
                              the nails in the bottom of a heel are to hold the FINAL layer of the heel on only.
                              you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• kirkmitchell
                                • Apr 2009

I hunted around for a little bit to the answer to my own question, and dug up this small article, which I thought may be of interest to more than just myself!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎