Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

i add taps on top of my vibrams on my gray ccp boots. just to add another layer of protection. i have plastic taps on the heels of my cdiems, which help as well. if the rubber wears down due to your pronation, they'll just strip that strip that rubber off and replace it with a new piece of rubber.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

to clarify, i have some MMM german army sneakers. they have rubber soles. the heels are significantly worn down. can a cobbler fix or replace the rubber sole? i was about to buy a new pair but i didn't feel like spending $450 and thought there might be a more reasonable method.
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

they should be able to do it. i think someone did it with their dix.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• theaddict
          • Apr 2008

yeah of course he can do it. I had it done to my diro sneakers, its no problem. The cobbler just "scratches" of a bit and replaces it with a new rubber piece. It looks like new from outside:

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
          to clarify, i have some MMM german army sneakers. they have rubber soles. the heels are significantly worn down. can a cobbler fix or replace the rubber sole? i was about to buy a new pair but i didn't feel like spending $450 and thought there might be a more reasonable method.
          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

cool thx for taking the time to photograph that. no doubt

Comment

• doldrums
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
              but here again, you have to find a good craftsman. Putting rubber soles means that the original leather has to be sanded down a little, and I've seen cobblers doing this so awfully that they even attacked the rear parts of the sole and destroyed the piece of leather supporting the sewing (don't know how it's called in english sorry, that is trépointe in french) - which is a definitive damage.
              this scares the shit out of me. any way to check if its happened to me? I recently worked with a shit cobbler on my favorite boots and the rubber was placed carelessly but i figured I'll just let it wear down and get it redone by someone better in the future. now i'm afraid he may have shave down too much?

EDIT - youtube (i think) explained this to me
              This video shows one the most important and difficult part of shoemaking: the welting. Part 3 of 6.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

That's quite easy to check : look at the upper part of the stitching - the part opposite to the sole, which you always can see. If its width has been reduced to the point stitches are missing here and there, that's very bad. If not, no problem.

Of course, this is only true for goodyear welted shoes, with apparent upper stitching - which is the case for most of the shoes and boots I've seen here, CCP, Guidi... For other kinds of fabrication, this damage isn't likely to happen.

Edit : see the piece of leather sewn aroud the shoe in this video ? That's the trépointe. The leather sole will then be sewn on it (see video part 4). It is that part of the stitching that must never be damaged.
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Teger
                  • Apr 2009

it is pretty cheap to get the heel of a sneaker replaced (I wear through mine really quickly too). I pay about $10 and it is flawless from the outside.

does anyone know a really good cobbler in the DC/NoVA area?

Comment

• Spencer
                    • Feb 2007

Fantastic thread! My go-to guy in the DC Metro area...

Sumner Place Shoe Repair
                    4701 Sangamore Rd
                    Bethesda, MD
                    Phone: 301-320-8705

Tiny little shop, but came highly recommended, and has done stellar work for me so far.

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

That's quite easy to check : look at the upper part of the stitching - the part opposite to the sole, which you always can see. If its width has been reduced to the point stitches are missing here and there, that's very bad. If not, no problem.

Of course, this is only true for goodyear welted shoes, with apparent upper stitching - which is the case for most of the shoes and boots I've seen here, CCP, Guidi... For other kinds of fabrication, this damage isn't likely to happen.

Edit : see the piece of leather sewn aroud the shoe in this video ? That's the trépointe. The leather sole will then be sewn on it (see video part 4). It is that part of the stitching that must never be damaged.
                      u r then a professional?

Comment

• Teger
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                        Fantastic thread! My go-to guy in the DC Metro area...

Sumner Place Shoe Repair
                        4701 Sangamore Rd
                        Bethesda, MD
                        Phone: 301-320-8705

Tiny little shop, but came highly recommended, and has done stellar work for me so far.
                        I will check them out, but do you happen to know of any place on a Metro Line?

One of my favorite products is "Shoe Goo". It's an epoxy substance that bonds VERY strongly over night and is great for doing easy repairs at home. I actually once used it to reglue the entire sole of a pair of Common Projects... and still sturdy to this day.

Comment

• Spencer
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Teger View Post
                          I will check them out, but do you happen to know of any place on a Metro Line?

Nope. Sorry.

And I've recently discovered Shoe Goo and found it to be awesome stuff.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                            u r then a professional?
                            Nope.

I'm a fetishist
                            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Trépointe=welt in English.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• reborn
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                                Nope. Sorry.

And I've recently discovered Shoe Goo and found it to be awesome stuff.
                                Shoe Goo

I used it to repair one of my Ugo Belts as well as a MMM belt; a pair of prada loafers, collection privee lace-ups, etc.. It's a an awesome product. I keep it with all of my shoe care products (leather conditioner, horse hair brush, saddle soap, polish creams, etc).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎