Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pantanal
    • Apr 2012

The Cordovan Cream Shoe Polish is specially formulated for the unique requirements of Cordovan Leathers. The Cordovan Cream Shoe Polish uses a Nests Foot Oil formula, instead of a formula based with Turpentine, to keep the leather smooth.

Here you go

I have a pair of custom made Paolo Scafora Cordovan shoes

works beautifully on those

Comment

• ambrosian
      • Dec 2012

Question about backzips: The zip (not the zipper dongle) no longer zips properly. Mostly due to being treated like shit by the previous owner. Could I have them replaced easily? The leather around the zip is a little warped (for the above reason), not sure how easy this job would be.
      street goth extraordinaire

Comment

• drizzly
        Banned
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Venus in Furs View Post
        ^why? it's a leather jacket. and a pretty tough, heavy one at that. i think the idea of being precious with something just because it was expensive is absurd, to be honest. a good leather looks better with wear, it should definitely take the abuse of your lifestyle. i wouldn't treat my suit the same way but the whole reason i wear that leather jacket day after day is because it doesn't matter what kinda mess i'm gonna end up in.

i'd advise the same with your boots. they're cordovan, they can take a beating.
        you are right but i do tend to baby things...

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

See:

Starting at post#592 onwards.

Most people have put a vibram, thickness/colour is of your choosing or availability. My cobbler did not recommend taps being nailed on afterwards.

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

I used a thin vibram sole with heel taps on my Augusta sneakers. I have replaced the taps a number of times as I wore them every day for 8 months.

Comment

• newp
              • Feb 2013

It appears I suck at using search (I am sure that question was discussed a lot but I can't seem to find it), how do you care for your Guidi boots? Full horse grain 988 to be exact.
              Can I just use the default Saphire Renovateur on them to nourish? Do you use any kind of sole edge dressing?

Comment

• franz
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by newp View Post
                It appears I suck at using search (I am sure that question was discussed a lot but I can't seem to find it), how do you care for your Guidi boots? Full horse grain 988 to be exact.
                Can I just use the default Saphire Renovateur on them to nourish? Do you use any kind of sole edge dressing?
                absolutely not. Saphir Renovateur is to be used when the leather has been damaged (water, stains and so on), not on a regular basis. Just use nourishing cream (creme universelle and colored "creme surfine" for example).
                As far as the sole edgen is concerned, I regularly apply some similarly colored cream, and that's it.
                Originally posted by Faust
                True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• newp
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by franz View Post
                  absolutely not. Saphir Renovateur is to be used when the leather has been damaged (water, stains and so on), not on a regular basis. Just use nourishing cream (creme universelle and colored "creme surfine" for example).
                  As far as the sole edgen is concerned, I regularly apply some similarly colored cream, and that's it.
                  Thank you!

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by xzacx View Post
                    Can anyone with a pair of A1923 trainers comment on how durable the soles are? Just got a pair and trying to decide if I should protect them. I'd rather not, but if they wear down super fast like Ricks do or something, I'd consider it.
                    Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                    Definitely vibram them. I've got a pair and once that original sole goes, they are pretty much done in. Cant see hiw yiud replace them
                    A good cobbler can put in a white vibram that is unnoticeable and replaceable. I'm about to get mine redone for the third time.
                    i finally got a pair of these and took them straight to the cobbler to add a vibram sole to them and they told me they couldn't do it. that the rubber wouldn't stick to the existing sole. so they put a heel tap on them and thats it. i guess maybe i should call another more sophisticated cobbler (firm nyc?) and send them there?
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• blackfedora
                      • Jan 2012

CJ, my cobbler had the same concern, but I insisted he try anyway and there was never any "unglueing" that occurred. He replaced the rear portion of the vibram twice before I sold them with the original front portion of the vibram never coming loose. We did the same thing to my favourite pair of converse shoes without issue. I used a thick and soft vibram sole to get maximum wear before they required replacement. Also I can swing by my guy's shop tonight and inquire which glue he employed to do the job, maybe your cobbler has the same kind in his shop...

Comment

• mctwatty
                        • Dec 2012

London Cobbler

Can anyone recommend a good cobblers in London (or even the UK)?

I have a pair of cdiem s21s with a broken zipper.

Comment

• modalsaliency
                          • May 2010

I need to cut a very thick (as in, vertically) pair of insoles down to size. Maybe a third. It's a dense but really flexible composite, whatever it is.

Is there some sort of method to this more refined than "hold insole along wall, mark circumference, cut with sharp blade"?

Comment

• pregnantbob
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by modalsaliency View Post
                            I need to cut a very thick (as in, vertically) pair of insoles down to size. Maybe a third. It's a dense but really flexible composite, whatever it is.

Is there some sort of method to this more refined than "hold insole along wall, mark circumference, cut with sharp blade"?
                            have a blade that is longer than the width of the insole. Have you got access to a workshop table? a Vice to keep it in place would help minimise the warped cutting

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

any advice for water/snow-proofing leather boots and sneakers, or should I just leave them as is and just wipe off any water/salt stains with a damp cloth? my first time living somewhere with a "real" winter!

Comment

• porthidium
                                • Aug 2013

Just had the absolute worst experience with Firm Shoe Repair.

I went there after going through this thread and reading its recommendations. Brought 2 pairs of my Ann D's and my Rick Owens sandals.

They absolutely butchered my Ann D's. I asked to get them vibramed (shoes are pretty new, just got them this summer). I come back a week later and they've rounded all the edges of my Ann D sandals. Definitely appears that they have sanded it down 2mm. There's a huge crack along the side of the stacked sole that wasn't there before. On my Ann D boots, they basically nicked huge chunks out of the heel and along the arch of the boot (due to poor shaping and sanding of the vibram sole).

I do not why anyone would go there, unless one prefers mediocrity. So heartbroken. Such a long process to acquire these shoes, just to have them compromised in an instant.
                                @porthidium_

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎