Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavroche88
    • Jun 2010

Does anyone have any tips for making shoes less squeaky? I've got a newish pair of AV_Field derbies, and they're embarrassingly loud. I've been wearing them around the house, hoping they'll get better as they break in, but they seem to be getting worse.

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
      • Oct 2011

if the squeakiness originates from inside of the shoe (leather on leather): talcum (dump it in, disperse by hand/walking, remove excess)

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

they probably have leather insoles, take them out or switch them to any other insoles and you should get rid of the squeak. Even aftermarket leather insoles are fine as they tend to have a non-leather padding underneath (like this)
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mandrup
          • Oct 2009

Had the same problem with my AV_Fields. Removing the insole took care of it. Overall it also made them more comfortable because of the low instep.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
            • Jan 2014

Got these DD creepers a few days ago. This zipper is moldy, no? Both are totally functional, but the right one looks like it has something funky going on or was maybe discolored due to it possibly being a window display? Thought I grabbed the new pair, but may have ended up with the display during checkout. Otherwise exterior leather and all of that is immaculate. Aesthetically doesn't bug me too much, but worried about long term issues.

Thoughts? Any ideas on home remedies in case I can't resolve with the shop?
            Last edited by BrokenBoards; 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM. Reason: Image Adjustment
            "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

is that lighter coloured area leather? I thought it had something like a strip of plastic, but then realized the other pair doesn't have it
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                is that lighter coloured area leather? I thought it had something like a strip of plastic, but then realized the other pair doesn't have it
                Yeah, it has the same leather that's on the boot on the front side of the tape. No strip of plastic lining the back side of it though. May just throw some black gaffers tape over it and be done with it. Out of sight out of mind.
                "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• DanielHXV
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bennyy View Post

I just received these from a store and there is pink discoloration on the soles. What is this? Can it be removed?
                  Same thing is happening w my geobaskets. Pink discoloration along the rim. No idea whats causing it. They are less than a month old.

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                    So what cobbler are fellow New Yorkers going to these days? Got a couple new shoes lately (Guidi and Ann) I want to put protective soles on but haven't been to a cobbler in awhile and couldn't find any recent recommendations for cobblers in NYC in this thread.
                    Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post
                    The Firm seems to be the unanimous choice. Cowboy Shoe Repair at 396 Broome is also good. If you have 2-8 weeks and want the "best in the city" you can try Leather Spa on 55th.
                    Exactly, there is no competition! Definitely The Firm! They definitely know what they're doing over there.
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• udbrud
                      • Dec 2013

So does anybody know of a quality cobbler in or around Copenhagen, Denmark? Figured it would be worth a shot and I have a pair of boots that need resoling very soon and would really like to get a hold of someone proper this time around. Recommendations, guys! Thanks.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

Thanks, I shall take them a load of shoes I've been neglecting if snowmageddon ever lets up.

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                        Exactly, there is no competition! Definitely The Firm! They definitely know what they're doing over there.
                        music

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                          Thanks, I shall take them a load of shoes I've been neglecting if snowmageddon ever lets up.
                          Its not all that necessary to go to the firm for something Like protective soles on shoes/boots.
                          there are less expensive places that does a very good Job on things like those.
                          I have an old jewish guy on 37th street between 8 and 9th that I use. I have been going to him for over five years and never had a single issue at all.

Speaking of "Snowmaggedon".......this is just completely crazy and the waetherman is saying there is more to come

I have ben at home all day today and had to cancel work because its just really crazy outside........

Last week on one trip from work to hime i counted 10 cars that were either in accidents or had flat tires from potholes just because of the weather.........
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• stagename
                            • Oct 2011

Albeit I understand that the city's infrastructure is not tailored to deal with this, you guys are cute. Weather snobbism.

Comment

• DanielHXV
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bennyy View Post

looks like the black leather bled into the rubber soles. would seaglow work on this? haven't gotten the rit dye remover yet but would it penetrate that deep?
                              Thats what i think it is. I wonder if this is an issue with the blister leather?

Comment

• Arcane
                                • Jul 2008

Nothing to do with the blistered leather. I have two pairs from FW13 and they both have the same bleeding. None of them are blistered.
                                Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎