X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whtnnk986
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
    Nothing to do with the blistered leather. I have two pairs from FW13 and they both have the same bleeding. None of them are blistered.
    I have the same pink discoloration problem with my black ramones boots from plinth.

Also, my pair of island dunk from SS13 has an orange/brown discoloration at the beige soles where the black leather is in contact.

Does anyone know how to remove this discoloration?

Comment

• Arcane
      • Jul 2008

Wear shoe - shoe goes dirty - discoloration not noticeable - not rocketscience
      Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• whtnnk986
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
        Wear shoe - shoe goes dirty - discoloration not noticeable - not rocketscience
        This is the only method that seems to work so far!!

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

there is NO way to remove this type of discoloration. it is because the leather dye has bled into the rubber. you will find this happens particularly with leather pieces / items where the edges have not been sealed (such as in footwear where the edge is not exposed, and also in those cases where too much dye has been applied to leather.

Comment

• magic
            • Feb 2009

Initially I thought of that as well, the leather dye which caused the discolouration. But the leather was black and I have no clue how it gets the pinkish.. So I suspect its the glue it used.
            Focusing on object details

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

no, it is the dye. there is no TRUE black. black is made from very dark colored pigment - that is why there are many types of black. if you dilute any black dye, you will see it turn into color rather than 'grey'... basically the diffusion of the dye into the rubber has the same effect.

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

So what does that mean for this discussion? ;)

Comment

• DanielHXV
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  there is NO way to remove this type of discoloration. it is because the leather dye has bled into the rubber. you will find this happens particularly with leather pieces / items where the edges have not been sealed (such as in footwear where the edge is not exposed, and also in those cases where too much dye has been applied to leather.
                  thanks Shucks

Comment

• franz
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DanielHXV View Post
                    thanks Shucks
                    I recently bought a pair from Lncc I haven't had the time to wear yet (the weather has been shitty).
                    For those who have not been wearing their pair yet, and worry about the discoloration (as I do), I'm wondering whether a waterproof spray could help the leather better retain the excess dye and prevent the color migration? Worth a try...
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

very much doubt it as i think it is from the part of the leather upper which is actually behind the rubber (i.e. not visible / sprayable). good luck though...

Comment

• csr111
                        • Mar 2012

New Boots > What Should I do With The Soles?

Hey Everyone - First Post!

I just got a new pair of Shoto Horse Leather boots and wanted to ask the experts [you guys] what you think the best way would be to go about getting protective heels and half-soles put on.

For example:
                        1.) do not sand down the edges of unfinished soles
                        2.) do not polish or condition
                        3.) use thin rubbers that do not change the silhouette

I've provided pictures of the boots for reference (below)

The current heel is stacked leather and the bottom piece is half leather / half Vibram insert. The sole is also leather, but has two small rubber strips running across the mid-foot.

I personally would like to get the protective soles put on for better traction and longevity. However, I'm not sure how i should approach explaining to the cobbler what exactly he should do, and more importantly, NOT DO.

Throughout this thread, mentions of cobblers having "shave" or "sand" to allow the protective sole to be applied without offsetting the original height/pitch (silhouette) of the shoe is where I want my first piece of advice.

- Given the unique sole, is it worth getting the soles sanded down to accommodate the protective sole or should I just have protective half-soles added and call it a day?

For the heels, I know the cobbler will have to remove the first layer closest to the ground. Given there is a Vibram insert affixed to it already, I assume no shaving will have to be done here as it looks to be a standard size.

- Where I will need my second piece of advice is how the new heel will be affixed. Should everything be simply glued and cut, without using any nails, etc?

At the end of the day, I want to get protective soles/heels added that best keep the original look of the boot. I do not have any problem getting them replaced more frequently if it keeps my boots looking good.

Thanks for reading this post (if you've made it this far). Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

• okayvin
                          • Sep 2013

-Incompetent cobblers can accidentally sand the edge even if you ask them not to. And then they will cover it up with "sole edge dressing" which is basically a paint-on paste that doesn't quite match the rest of the shoe :(
                          -you noted "no polishing" but even conditioning the leather can remove some of the finish on the leather and change its appearance. you will probably end up conditioning them at some point yourself though, so its not a big problem
                          -the heels do not have to be replaced until the rubber has worn out.

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

ok i recently received these bbs bamba1 sneakers and i love them

it is this exact shoe

on one of the shoes, the distressing of the rubber strip across the toe was a bit too heavy. the dye was rubbed completely off in a fairly large spot. see these bad cell phone pics:

at first it bothered me, but then it didn't because it really isn't that out of character for the shoe. but now it does again.

the dye on these is definitely just a wipe dye. hand dyed. and it is clearly pretty haphazard. so my thought is to try and just apply some sort of dye to that little area to just reduce the glare of whiteness. the dye could even be pretty diluted and applied like a glaze or something. in a really thin layer just to dim the contrast of the spot. i don't want to dye the whole shoe of course, but i could dye that whole rubber strip if i needed to. so.....help?!?!

my questions are should i do it, what to use, where to get it, what color to use because its not really black its an ink-like color (kind of a blue/black/purple/grey) and how to do it. or should i just ask a cobbler to do it, and if so...who?

please solve my problems for me sz thank you...
                            Last edited by cjbreed; 03-15-2014, 12:08 PM.
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Hmm, thats tricky because I doubt its any kind of dye, but rather a coating/paint given how it has rubbed off. I would try some type of paint (krylon makes a spraypaint for rubber surfaces) or if all else fails, a permanent marker
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• ian+
                                • Dec 2011

cj go ahead and contact boris through email. When I had issues with a couple of pieces his team was very helpful.
                                ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎