• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocknrollnigger
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mononon View Post
    how much did this cost?
    I actually have no idea, I think they did the work for free...they messed up on shipping them back to me and it took longer than expected, but it wasn't a problem for me because I wasn't in a huge hurry, just wanted something quality. I wrote them a thank you letter and told them they forgot to include an invoice, but never heard back...so free!

Comment

• delirium
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by rocknrollnigger View Post
      I actually have no idea, I think they did the work for free...they messed up on shipping them back to me and it took longer than expected, but it wasn't a problem for me because I wasn't in a huge hurry, just wanted something quality. I wrote them a thank you letter and told them they forgot to include an invoice, but never heard back...so free!
      nice. sounds like a good business

will have to drop by there with some shoes sometime

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
        i dyed a pair of shoes for the first time at TO Dey @ 9 East 38th.

it was like $45, 10 day turnaround. i don't think i wouldn't do something like this again. it wasn't a bad job, but it just didn't look the same anymore..

i get my shoes repaired at Minas on Wall St.
        Ron Rider, who imports Martegani into the US, does dying and antiquing that may be up to what you would desire. He will at least tell you if he can't do it. I suspect he charges a good bit more than $45.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• delirium
          • Sep 2008

what do people here recommend for (generic, regular last) shoe trees for their footwear made of softer leather and footwear with irregular lasts?

regular size shoe trees and not worrying about the stretching? socks and newspaper which may not keep the shape well / may stretch? smaller shoe trees? not at all?

Comment

• dee
            • Aug 2008

I just got a pair of shoes back from the cobbler for it get a rubber sole added to it. Excuse my ignorance, but is the original sole suppose to get sanded down (where the rubber sole goes)? I always thought that the rubber sole just goes on top of the original sole, as if you were to add a rubber heel without really doing anything to the original sole?

Here are a couple of pics I took:

Comment

• tigo
              • May 2009

Yes, it helps with the adhesion. Also, height/posture of the shoe might be affected if you just stick on the sole (if the sole is thick, that is)

...is what I learned from browsing forums, though it makes sense to me

Comment

• dee
                • Aug 2008

I got a rubber heel added to it as well, so the height is definitely different as the original, considering 1/2 of the sole was sanded down for the rubber sole to go on top of it.

MonaDahl: What are zip soles? The first part that you mentioned is exactly what the cobbler did to my shoe, I think? Would this way be considered the 'right' approach?

This was my first trip to a cobbler. It costed me $38 to get the 1/2 sole on and $24 for a rubber heel. Something tells me that I'm paying too much?

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

sounds too much to me.. I usually pay about €20 for a pair of boots, including a vibram or equivalent rubber heel and thin sole.

I like to have a bit of the heel sanded down so the height wont change with the addition of the rubber, but I've never seen the sole sanded more than just to roughen it a bit and help with adhesion. seems unecessary with thin rubber soles.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Peasant
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by delirium View Post
                    what do people here recommend for (generic, regular last) shoe trees for their footwear made of softer leather and footwear with irregular lasts?

regular size shoe trees and not worrying about the stretching? socks and newspaper which may not keep the shape well / may stretch? smaller shoe trees? not at all?
                    It seems like a general rule-of-thumb with some users is that if the shoe didn't come with trees, don't use them. I've done the same (never actually bought a pair that came with them) and haven't run into any problems.

Comment

• delirium
                      • Sep 2008

bump for my last question

what should one use for shoe trees for soft leather boots?
                      especially for boots with irregular lasts
                      eg guidi, carpe diem...

any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm not sure if stretching will be a problem, so i'm looking for other solutions.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

I personally don't use anything on such boots or shoes, I don't see the point if the shape is irregular, creased etc.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• delirium
                          • Sep 2008

thanks lowrey and peasant.

many of the artisinal boots (besides CCPs) are irregularly shaped but not creased, so it seems strange to me that people would not put in trees or something else to maintain shape. i guess the simple solution would be for the designers to include lasted trees.

Comment

• reborn
                            • Aug 2008

/\ you can always stuff the shoes with blank newsprint to help absorb moisture.

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

That price sounds about right to me.

Comment

• magic
                                • Feb 2009

anyone knows if the nails thats on the leather sole/heel of your boots/shoes was removed by the cobbler when went for adding a rubber sole/heel? Especially like CCP, Augusta, Guidi etc.. the leather heel has lots of nails.
                                Focusing on object details

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎