Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mail-Moth
    • Mar 2009

Would be very surprising if they did. The purpose of those nails is not purely decorative
    I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
    I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• magic
      • Feb 2009

true...but was told by a cobbler today that they will need to so the rubber sole will well stick onto the leather sole.. i understand they need to sand down abit of the leather sole so that the rubber sole will well attached. But removing the nails here i am not really sure...
      Focusing on object details

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Yes, they need to sand down the sole, this is certain. But it doesn't mean they have to remove the nails for that - only to polish the heads, I suppose.

Comment

• swami
          • Jul 2008

It is a trial an error process depending on how long the initial nails were . But I think my cobbler had to pull out the nails to do the heel on pretty much all my boots. Augusta, Cdiem, Guidi etc.

Can someone please advise on cleaning Bone colored leather boots? The reason this is an issue is cause the tips of the boots are intentionally yellowed and the leather seems pretty dry.
          My Cobbler does not want to clean them without risking messing up the finish ... I have these nasty denim scuffs on them

Comment

• May 2007

Anyone have the Augusta kudu leather shoes? Wondering if I can use leather cpr cleaner on them without ruining the matte finish.

As for shoe trees - I use them in most of my basic shoes to avoid the crease in the front, the kudu shoes are a good example. Not sure how they'd end up without shoes trees, perhaps the same, but I'm guessing it can only help.

Nails - the only time Firm shoe repair mentioned them was on my double jointed ccp boots - told me the sole and the nails made it very difficult to attach anything to them. I doubt they'd have to remove nails otherwise, but would just sand down the heads a bit to make it easier to adhere something to.

Comment

• Castor
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by swami View Post
              It is a trial an error process depending on how long the initial nails were . But I think my cobbler had to pull out the nails to do the heel on pretty much all my boots. Augusta, Cdiem, Guidi etc.

Can someone please advise on cleaning Bone colored leather boots? The reason this is an issue is cause the tips of the boots are intentionally yellowed and the leather seems pretty dry.
              My Cobbler does not want to clean them without risking messing up the finish ... I have these nasty denim scuffs on them
              I would definitely try Meltonian neutral or delicate creme first, but denim transfer is very stubborn. Also Creme Saphir in neutral would be nice if you can find it.
              Originally posted by DRRRK
              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• magic
                • Feb 2009

Thanks Mail-Moth, swami, image
                Focusing on object details

Comment

• asho
                  • Nov 2007

regarding nails, you only really need 3 nails on a heel. it isn't necessary to remove extras if a rubber layer is simply being added to the top, however any good repairer will know that an equal amount of leather needs to be removed from the top of a heel as is being added in rubber to ensure the pitch of the shoe isn't changed. In order to do this all the decorative nails will need to come out. New nails should be added to make sure the new top piece does not fall off. No need to worry about the heel being compromised though as heels are attached with nails from the inside of the shoe down.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                    • Mar 2009

Thanks Asho, always good to learn something.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I don't bother with replacing a part of the heel - if you put tabs and keep replacing them in time, no need for that.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                        I would definitely try Meltonian neutral or delicate creme first, but denim transfer is very stubborn. Also Creme Saphir in neutral would be nice if you can find it.
                        Cheers Castor!

I agree with the tabs bit , But rubber under the leather sole/heel is just so much more comfortable Its like adding an air cushion.

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

does anyone have any experience with shoe repair at E. Vogel?

it's across the street from the jill sander store on howard.
                          always closed when i walk by...

Comment

• Castor
                            • Nov 2009

Mostly custom shoes and riding boots made to measure. I don't know if they are a shoe repair per se.

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                            does anyone have any experience with shoe repair at E. Vogel?

it's across the street from the jill sander store on howard.
                            always closed when i walk by...
                            Originally posted by DRRRK
                            The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• kuugaia
                              • Feb 2010

Bumping this old post up because it is seriously insightful. Watch all six videos to understand your shoes on a deeper level. Makes me appreciate my Guidis all the much more.

Edit: there's no way Simone made 800 shoes by himself with no help...
                              Last edited by kuugaia; 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                                • Feb 2010

thanks for the bump! A really impressive process... anybody knows what´s the starting price for koronyas? please PM me...

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                                Bumping this old post up because it is seriously insightful. Watch all six videos to understand your shoes on a deeper level. Makes me appreciate my Guidis all the much more.

Edit: there's no way Simone made 800 shoes by himself with no help...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎