• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    But srsly, postmodern or not, to me it's pretty simple:
    He uses the idea of teenage angst in as much as he eschews the psychological and cultural aspects of it - the, well..., angst - and uses the aesthetic expression thereof as a visual model. It's pretty shallow in a way, but he may be first to admit I guess if you pressed him on the subject (and if I am right). The genius is in "dressing" the statement the way he does.
    And now that I got this far, I guess I have essentially said what Laika said but using more words...
    yup. But you put it very clearly.

i ttly agree that he'd be the first to admit it...that's what makes me appreciate his work to the admittedly small extent that I do. Self-awareness and a sense of humour can go a long way.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I think what he meant to say, simply, was that as many of us, he has felt that angst as a teenager, and now it's gone, but the impression it has made of him has stayed and he still wants to express it. It's pretty straightforward to me - nothing enigmatic about it. I still listen to NIN without feeling what I felt listening to it 15 years ago, at least not to that degree. People grow up, pain goes away, but remembering your experiences is a beautiful thing.

this makes it clear...guess i initially couldn't understand that line as i just haven't gotten over that hump where I can see from that view yet, but eh, still got time...
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• sound&vision
        • May 2008

Eagerly anticipating isuck head-to-toe Rick Owens denim look.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sound&vision View Post
          Eagerly anticipating isuck head-to-toe Rick Owens denim look.
          I'm cringing at the thought of the Raf Simons B-Side.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The ironic thing about the denim pieces is that it was a difficult and laborious process to get the different shades of denim line up like that, but the result does not come across well. They had to stone was the jackets numerous times as they were applying the different patches.

Glad I could be of help, FTB.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

The difference between the hi-res photos and the low REALLY make a difference in this particular line. (Not that they don't do generally, but this one in particular for the materials, seams, cuts, ect.).
              I have to hand it to Rick just for the sheer tailoring aspects that I sometimes overlook when I'm watching a video.
              I think for fashion as an art, the line is total success. I need to quit looking as a consumer and look at it as a visual presentation.
              One thing is for sure: I still don't like the shoe concept/execution (though I find it interesting). It's maybe one step too far beyond practical for me.
              Another thing: WHY oh WHY is there still whiskering and blatantly fake distress on the jeans?
              I understand the stonewashing and various treatments...I think his dirty white grosgrain jeans are masterpieces of creating something that looks genuinely aged and dated. He can do it very well when he wants it seems but the very straightforward whiskering and crotch lines on those faded denim jeans is almost offensive to all the senses.
              I don't get it at all.
              And even that reverse stitching (white on top of blue denim) screams GAP a bit too loud. That's my only real issue with it so far.
              If he's going to do denim really heavily after a decade of denim being all but mastered, Rick needs to really come heavy and do it right.
              GAP looking denim in this market is NOT well received.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• kbi
                • Feb 2009

the zip on those leathers looks so missplaced. You can exactly see where the jacket's gonna tear after a few times of wear.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                  The difference between the hi-res photos and the low REALLY make a difference in this particular line. (Not that they don't do generally, but this one in particular for the materials, seams, cuts, ect.).
                  I have to hand it to Rick just for the sheer tailoring aspects that I sometimes overlook when I'm watching a video.
                  I think for fashion as an art, the line is total success. I need to quit looking as a consumer and look at it as a visual presentation.
                  One thing is for sure: I still don't like the shoe concept/execution (though I find it interesting). It's maybe one step too far beyond practical for me.
                  Another thing: WHY oh WHY is there still whiskering and blatantly fake distress on the jeans?
                  I understand the stonewashing and various treatments...I think his dirty white grosgrain jeans are masterpieces of creating something that looks genuinely aged and dated. He can do it very well when he wants it seems but the very straightforward whiskering and crotch lines on those faded denim jeans is almost offensive to all the senses.
                  I don't get it at all.
                  And even that reverse stitching (white on top of blue denim) screams GAP a bit too loud. That's my only real issue with it so far.
                  If he's going to do denim really heavily after a decade of denim being all but mastered, Rick needs to really come heavy and do it right.
                  GAP looking denim in this market is NOT well received.
                  This should be the SZ mantra.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

i was shooting for wanting more diversity on SZ and appreciation of fashion in general, but that's a valid point.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Alarm
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by nameless
                      “I call it my all-American collection. It’s sort of an apology for being such a [jerk]. I was quoted in an interview saying American tourists were ruining the Paris landscape with their fanny packs and their man bags, so this collection has leather jackets that have arms that zip off and the jacket becomes a bag.” —Rick Owens on his AW09 Men’s collection.
                      wasn't this statement made in regard to the s/s10 collection?
                      Originally posted by Trebre
                      Poell Pain is good for body&soul...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

yes, it was.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Not sure if this has been posted, but some backstage shots are up on Dazed Digital, including this one of Reek with his Denim posse:

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Babyshamble
                            • Apr 2009

Was really let down by this collection.

When I first saw the images, thought it would be epic. Instead, there are 1, maybe 2 pieces I like.

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                              • Nov 2006

whatever..

i think i love these..?!?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Andrew, you ate the man to rock this

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎