Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterpale
    • Apr 2008

i just bought a merino wool cardigan this season for 370 €.not a big difference.

what do you think?

"real" dd basics like the cott/cash shirts have a constant price level for several seasons...

Originally posted by jevna View Post

two completely different jackets, yeh, but still ehm...
    i guess some people will hate me for this, but...
    damir doma prices are quite high, but sorry, aren't rick's prices constantly rising from season to season?
    i remember i bought his carry-over merino wool cardigan in the palais royal store for 350 eur exactly 2 years ago. How much does it go for now??
    Also, some people probably won't agree and throw stones on me, but what i was thinking is that although the dd prices are high, needs to be admitted that he used very special fabrics and leathers for the collection... never basic materials. DD is a lot about beautiful materials and you pay for that. I can't see the same attention for fabrics and in other designers that are in dd's same range. I don't want to say that i find dd prices nice, but I think it needs to be taken in consideration the fact that for example a designer like ann (which i really like) uses always solid but often still basic fabrics and parts of her production are in tunisia... what's the brand's markup for a 300eur shirt in basic popeline produced in tunisia?? i don't dare to imagine.

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jevna View Post

two completely different jackets, yeh, but still ehm...
      i guess some people will hate me for this, but...
      damir doma prices are quite high, but sorry, aren't rick's prices constantly rising from season to season?
      i remember i bought his carry-over merino wool cardigan in the palais royal store for 350 eur exactly 2 years ago. How much does it go for now??
      Also, some people probably won't agree and throw stones on me, but what i was thinking is that although the dd prices are high, needs to be admitted that he used very special fabrics and leathers for the collection... never basic materials. DD is a lot about beautiful materials and you pay for that. I can't see the same attention for fabrics and in other designers that are in dd's same range. I don't want to say that i find dd prices nice, but I think it needs to be taken in consideration the fact that for example a designer like ann (which i really like) uses always solid but often still basic fabrics and parts of her production are in tunisia... what's the brand's markup for a 300eur shirt in basic popeline produced in tunisia?? i don't dare to imagine.

I don't see any reason why anyone would get worked up over this. It's a legitimate observation.
      Rick is at a place in his design career it seems where he can justify some of the more expensive leathers. After all, his leather jackets are what he's known for in certain *ahem* circles. Those do become the Holy Grails of the season many times.
      I do think some of the DD pieces on Oki are way ridiculously priced compared to the last few seasons.
      I guess the proof is in the pudding. If enough people are willing to pay retail for the newer, more expensive stuff, it works.

If not, we'll all have a shot at the same pieces for 40-55% off at the end of summer.
      The customers help regulate prices in the end to a degree. If there's an audience out there for this stuff at the current costs, more power to him. Art and business intersect at some point, unfortunately.

I just wonder if people who are spending this much at retail will focus on DD when there are other brands that are cheaper that are designed as well.
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
        • Sep 2009

I'm not going to give my opinion on DD just yet, but I seriously thought that was Justin Timberlake for a moment...sorry if that's already been said, don't feel like reading up on it...
        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• jevna
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by beardown View Post
          I don't see any reason why anyone would get worked up over this. It's a legitimate observation.
          Rick is at a place in his design career it seems where he can justify some of the more expensive leathers. After all, his leather jackets are what he's known for in certain *ahem* circles. Those do become the Holy Grails of the season many times.
          I do think some of the DD pieces on Oki are way ridiculously priced compared to the last few seasons.
          I guess the proof is in the pudding. If enough people are willing to pay retail for the newer, more expensive stuff, it works.

If not, we'll all have a shot at the same pieces for 40-55% off at the end of summer.
          The customers help regulate prices in the end to a degree. If there's an audience out there for this stuff at the current costs, more power to him. Art and business intersect at some point, unfortunately.

I just wonder if people who are spending this much at retail will focus on DD when there are other brands that are cheaper that are designed as well.
          Thank you beardown for your pondered post. I could add saying that what I wanted to highlight in my post is I think DD approaches a customer who has a certain sensitiveness for fabrics. Which usually can't be really noticed in other designers "that are cheaper that are designed as well". I feel that especially in this season, where the designer's evolution brings him to get rid of superfluous and to focus on very pure lines, materials and construction. Keeping the lines clean also inside the garments means a perfection in the execution, as having no linings does not permit to hide any imperfection or unclean solution with a lining. And in my world, this costs money. What comes to mind is that in many designers on the "dark" side the "washed" and "distressed" look of their pieces allows the use of cheaper materials, which washed and distressed still look interesting and attractive. This kind of subterfuge can not be applied in DD, where the concept of a pure beauty translates into clean execution and untreated, best and premium fabrics. I believe that with time, the brand's eye for materials (also offering the styles in virtually any fabric of the collection) can push the public to an appreciation and sensitiveness for materials which is not that important to other brands.
          I am noticing that in the basic fabrics, the pieces are in the same price-range of other brands "of the same range", while some special fabrics will make the piece's price "skyrock" (as monon said in his post).

Comment

• genevieveryoko
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
            i do like doma. for a brief moment when the parade of blood red began, and the music shifted slightly, I felt my pulse quicken slightly. and that was it.
            and this is the best show of the season?
            there is something wrong with the structure of fashion.
            the whole thing is so hollow.
            (but i know this anyway)
            Yeah, I want to open my mind to Doma but I couldn't help but feel unimpressed by some of the textiles and cuts when I looked at them up close. I love the color and the flowiness, but I'm not buying into the hype. I also don't get why the runway shows have to be so long, this is what I see happening with much older fashion houses and it bores me to death. I don't even look at style.com anymore. Perfect your form, for what it's worth.
            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎