Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zenith
    • Jun 2009

I've wanted to get a Triumph for a while now, then I realize just how impractical it would be to use one in London.

Comment

• neodym
      • Jan 2009

I must be stupid for selling this, but I guess studying's important too..

When I get a job, I'm gonna make it right (or better) again.

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
        I've wanted to get a Triumph for a while now, then I realize just how impractical it would be to use one in London.
        What are you talking about? Motorcycles really excel in city traffic, and I know that London lets you in for free and park for cheap on a bike. The only reason I can see for it being impractical is that most Triumphs are pretty big and you don't need a whole lot of bike to cruise around London.

Comment

• neodym
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
          What are you talking about? Motorcycles really excel in city traffic, and I know that London lets you in for free and park for cheap on a bike. The only reason I can see for it being impractical is that most Triumphs are pretty big and you don't need a whole lot of bike to cruise around London.
          Yeah, I can't imagine a more practical vehicle for personal transportation in a big city. Traffic is never a problem.

Comment

• Sombre
            • Jan 2009

Continued from WAYWT.

when the heat peaks here i wear a wet scarf or tshirt beneath my leather jacket so i don't die of heat exhaustion on my motorcycle
            but if you don't ride a bike that might be a bit over the top. the answer, then, is to buy a motorcycle.

you're welcome

depending on what your jackets are lined with you might consider ripping the lining out or replacing it with something that breathes better. might not be enough though. i don't live in a humid place.

p.s. if you get a motorcycle then you'd also have a reason to buy more leather jackets. think about it.
            they'd save your skin from roughly one full second of contact with the pavement. maybe less? i scarred a thin lamb (?) jacket the other week when I slipped and hit my forearm on a table.
            Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
            If I buy a new toy there wouldn't be money left for jackets.

Doesn't mean it's not possible. Haven't tried riding in heels myself but I've seen girls in Louboutins on bikes in Europe.

Also not sure how legit this is, but:

Nothing I can do about it when I'm spending most of my time on the Equator. Cabs count as outdoors, right?

Places with good air conditioning. That's all that mattered to me.
            Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
            Rosenrot, that's absolutely fantastic. I concur that FW07 was one of Junya's best seasons. I loved it, and I'm not a big fan of Junya to begin with (nothing against him, his work just doesn't do it for me personally).

As for the motorcycle talk, that photo of the woman in heels above is indeed fake (in the sense that she wasn't riding). It was part of a photo shoot IIRC. Riding in heels is obviously a bad idea. While you may get away with it on a scooter, you have to shift on a motorcycle, which would become almost impossible to do.

I definitely wouldn't suggest designer leather as protection on a motorcycle. The two leathers (designer and motorcycle) are made with opposite functions in mind. Most designer leather is made to mold quickly to you, to be comfortable and soft to the touch. They're not known for durability. As Patroklus said, he scraped his lambskin jacket by slipping on a table. Motorcycle leathers are to protect your skin while sliding on pavement. They're made with really thick hide (sometimes 3 times as thick as designer leathers).

When I had my accident last year I was wearing motorcycle pants and still ended up with rash on my knee and butt. Granted they weren't leather, but they were still more durable than any leather the designers mentioned here make.

That said, I've worn my Julius leather while riding before, but those times I've ridden for the destination rather than for the ride (which is terrible motorcycle practice). Those times I accept that if I crash I have essentially only my helmet as protection, and I accept the risk.
            And you'd scuff them on the shifter! The only answer is to get a tank shifter.

I should add, I was wearing a pair of slippery crepe soles that are so in vogue right now. Designers want to hurt us. They want to punish us. I've skidded in those shoes more than once. I think it's high time I had rubber thrown on.

I fell from a motorcycle at low speed, about 35ish mph, while wearing these and it was still enough to punch holes in both knees (two on the right one!) and nearly rip off the coin pocket, rivets and all. I guess it's impressive enough that they held up that well, but in a serious wreck I would have been all kinds of fucked. My mesh protective jacket suffered similar damage but I would have been a lot worse off without the armor.
            Yeah I'd say the armor definitely helped. I know how you feel about the slippery soles. I've worn my leather soled Augustas twice and no more because I almost drop the bike coming to a stop because of the soles. No thanks. I'll wear something else.

Originally posted by KingJulien View Post
            So if you had to get from point A to point B you'd typically take a car or public transportation? Or are you just saying that it's bad practice to ride without proper protection?
            Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            This is getting pretty off topic, but I think he is just saying that he has ridden without proper gear, but only when commuting somewhere instead of just cruising.

I have to admit I often use very inadequate riding gear, but only when in low speed areas.
            KingJulien, like lowrey said, I'm just saying it's bad practice to ride without proper protection. I didn't want to be inadvertently promoting it.
            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Xhale12
              • Jan 2012

My bike.

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

beasting on an enfield pretty hard

neat bikes, cheap and bleeding style everywhere. on the other hand, my brother offered to let me take his shadow 600 if I repair it, but the thing has been sitting for years and they're only worth like 1 - 2k anyway, easy to spend more than the value of the bike fixing it. plus, i don't even want a cruiser.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

I've fallen in love with this Dime City custom build:

Built off of a honda CB450 which they take down and change up. The double barrel wrapped exhaust and the all black, cut down design of it is so damn awesome. I love it!

I haven't called them up yet but I think the price is somewhere in the 8-10K range which doesn't seem bad to me but maybe I have no idea about the going rate of such things.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Xhale12
                    • Jan 2012

Took a nasty spill a couple days ago. Got banged up pretty good. Damn LA drivers. Luckily I had the right gear on or it could have been REALLY ugly. Kevlar denim worked very well for abrasion. Much better than I would have anticipated.

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Xhale12 View Post
                      Took a nasty spill a couple days ago. Got banged up pretty good. Damn LA drivers. Luckily I had the right gear on or it could have been REALLY ugly. Kevlar denim worked very well for abrasion. Much better than I would have anticipated.
                      Hope you're ok man! How's the bike look?
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Xhale12
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                        Hope you're ok man! How's the bike look?
                        Not good.

I was going through a turn on Ventura Blvd and this driver took the corner WAY too wide, and hit me head on.

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

a silver lining: someone's insurance company is buying you a new motorcycle

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Xhale12 View Post
                            Not good.

I was going through a turn on Ventura Blvd and this driver took the corner WAY too wide, and hit me head on.
                            Santo Christo! Hope you're healing ok! I was hit on my Dunelt (3 speed) by a drunk driver around this time last year. He was on his phone and making a turn and completely chomped my bike (I parkoured off the bumper). I got his info and just made him completely restore my bike. New Brooks saddle, Brooks grips, Sturmey Archer vintage parts galore. Point being,
                            A) hope you're not scratched up too bad &
                            B)hope you're being taken care of. That was a sweet moto!
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

how the fucking hell do you ride in these

Comment

• surver
                                • Oct 2007

Bandit9 NERO

Bandit9 NERO

... based on the classic [Chinese] Chang Jiang 750 of the 1950s/60s...

Rebuilt engine. Rebuilt transmission.

Wheels: 4.00 x 19 front and rear.

Front Spoke Rims. Back Alloy Wheels.

Upgraded front disc brake.

Custom Bandit9 matte black paint. Custom Bandit9 exhaust. Custom Bandit9 gas tank and cap. Custom Bandit9 handlebar. Custom Bandit9 rear fender and brake light. Custom Bandit9 headlight. Custom Bandit9 turn signals and switches. Custom Bandit9 seat.

Bandit9 is a Beijing-based motorcycle company that specializes in the handmade design, engineering and craft of any bike. The name “Bandit9” comes from the idea that bandits, pirates and outlaws are the kings of innovation and individualism.

Our goal is to build motorcycle sculptures that weave performance, art and style. We focus on creating iconic one-of-a-kind motorcycles that are all crafted by hand. Before the build, we interview our potential buyers to better understand them and build a timeless bike that would resonate and connect with them.
                                Our team of bandits possess 3 key characteristics.
                                1. A burning passion for motorcycle and art. Yes, we love motorcycles but it is our eye for art and our background in the art industry that allows us to approach building custom bikes differently. We like to think of our bikes as sculptures.
                                2. For us, “good enough” is never good enough. We have an obsessive attitude towards detail. Imperfections keep us up at night.
                                3. We pursue “the new” at every possible opportunity. We strive to make the next bike better than the last. Lighter, faster, more efficient, and more unique in design.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎